Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Lets play "WTH was my PO thinking?" (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/lets-play-wth-was-my-po-thinking-239942.html)

GingerTJ 05-03-2013 08:44 AM

Lets play "WTH was my PO thinking?"

So pulled my tranny to rebuild and put a new clutch in.. And as soon as I pulled it out I noticed something hinky. The passengers side on the clutch fork is held onto the ball of the bell housing with a bit of wire. Am I missing a part, Or is something possibly broken? Why would my PO hold down that clutch fork side with wire?

GingerTJ 05-03-2013 08:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a photo without the wire

Slater451 05-03-2013 08:57 AM

There is supposed to be a wire clip that holds the pivot side in place I'm not sure if that's it but it could be...

Angus Brown 05-03-2013 09:41 AM

Oh I've seen worse, I just wish I would have taken pictures of all of the moronic stuff I saw when I was searching for my Jeep. One PO of a small car lot TJ cut a round hole in the hood directly above the throttle body, then removed the entire stock airbox assembly, and vertically attached a K&N cone-type filter to the throttle body using a 2-3" rubber sleeve. Great way to suck mud and water into a motor.

Then there is mine. They snapped off a bolt on the drivers-side door retaining strap and drove a sheetmetal screw in at an angle to hold the bar in the door down, but didn't put a strap back on it. Plus they took apart the dash at one point and forgot to put half of the screws back in, so I'm slowly doing that as I find all of the loose spots. He also mounted the steering stabilizer from the tie rod to the trackbar, making the steering creak and pop when you turn or hit a pothole. They also put a Flowmaster on it. I hated that at first, but it's actually starting to grow on me.

I've also seen ones for sale missing the back seat, the back soft top window, a steering box that would leak out a quart or more of power steering fluid a day, etc.

Lowrollin12 05-03-2013 09:48 AM

Love the title of this post! I say that all the time with my Jeep.

bmbillups 05-03-2013 10:38 AM

Not PO of my jeep but the PO of my tj's light bar. Ran 5 100w kc daylighters with no fuse or relay. So 500w was running from the battery, into the cab for the switch and out again to the lights. Fire waiting to happen

Madden 05-03-2013 10:57 AM

PO of mine never took the hard top off, he told me it was because it made the wrangler a "better experience" :nonono:

workshop4ever 05-03-2013 11:03 AM

My PO managed to put the evap solenoid in upside down. Even though its clearly labeled. Turned the car in that way, maybe he couldn't figure out why the check engine light was on.... He must have tried replacing the gas cap (with the wrong one LOL) because there was a second cap in the trunk when I bought it.

GingerTJ 05-03-2013 12:11 PM

So where do I get a clutch fork retainer?

dredg009 05-03-2013 06:37 PM

I win my po took a wire and hot wired the fog relay to my hardtop relay. *Poof* fried the socket for the fog light relay. Lol what a moron..

Southerner 05-03-2013 07:29 PM

Mine put in a 3" body lift...

SteelBlue44 05-03-2013 07:47 PM

My PO put chrome door hinges, mirrors, and wheels on my Jeep...absolutely terrible. Ended up trading them to a friend with black hinges, and mirrors. But i miss having paint matched hinges.

Jeepin9910 05-03-2013 09:20 PM

The PO of mine rolled it....

dredg009 05-03-2013 09:31 PM

*Rolled* I don't think I would have bought it lol

callingupthunder 05-03-2013 09:35 PM

Neon light washer fluid sprayers. Not that big of a deal but what poor taste.

Slater451 05-03-2013 10:12 PM

I think your best bet for the clip is at the dealer.

All Terrain JK 05-03-2013 10:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow, the real question is where to start. On my TJ the PO installed a pair of shocks from the LCA mounts to the axle, horizontally.

Attachment 244767

If anyone has a logical explanation for these I'm all ears. They have been removed.
Plenty more to follow.

Jeepin9910 05-03-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dredg009 (Post 3717031)
*Rolled* I don't think I would have bought it lol

I paid $750 for it and alot of work was already done to it. Got it for cheap cuz they said it didn't run, I took her home and did a full tube up and oil change and fluid flush and a good cleaning of all electrical connections under the hood. She's my daily driver now :-)

SteelBlue44 05-03-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Terrain TJ (Post 3717215)
Wow, the real question is where to start. On my TJ the PO installed a pair of shocks from the LCA mounts to the axle, horizontally.

Attachment 244767

If anyone has a logical explanation for these I'm all ears. They have been removed.
Plenty more to follow.

:facepalm: Im extremely confused on whats going on here. It just doesnt make sense. stupidity at its finest :nonono:

dredg009 05-03-2013 10:37 PM

Awesome find man. I wish I could find something like that. Good work

JKralph 05-03-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Attachment 244767

Plenty more to follow.

:rofl:

I remember when you first made that thread asking what the deal was with those. Looks like you still haven't gotten the answer.

the most logical (and I use the term loosely) was to stabilize axle roll on acceleration...which would have made sense if it was a sports car...

:popcorn:

Kota7x 05-03-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Plenty more to follow.

You win!

My PO didnt know anything about the Jeep he had. I asked him about what was on it when I was buying it and he just paused.

Jeepin9910 05-03-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dredg009 (Post 3717274)
Awesome find man. I wish I could find something like that. Good work

Thank ya. And yeah I got really lucky, I almost gave up on finding one.

JeepandMud 05-03-2013 11:52 PM

My PO initially bought the Jeep for mountain driving, but then decided it wasn't a good mountain terrain vehicle :confused:. So they sold it to a dealership to get a more "mountain terrain" vehicle (Subaru outback) for their mountain retreat in the winter time.

EricsRubi 05-04-2013 01:25 AM

My previous owner thought he would dump the car off on the dealership with leaking differentials and other seals so he didn't have to pay for maintenance... That and he also couldn't figure out how to get off the simple nuts that hold the doors on the hinges and smacked a good dent behind the hinge LMFAO...

All Terrain JK 05-04-2013 07:08 AM

3 Attachment(s)
While performing the pre-purchase inspection on my son's '00 Sport, I noticed how fresh the frame looked. It was very clean and smooth. It took me a few moments to realize it but there are no holes in the frame it all. Whenever I go to look at a Jeep I carry a small plastic hammer. I started tapping on the frame immediately heard a crack. Turns out the frame had been filled with spray foam, bondoed smooth, and painted. Further investigation revealed about 70 percent of the frame was toast. Needless to say this altered negotiations a bit. I bought the Jeep for cheap and ended up spending two weeks and about $600 refurbishing the frame. My son who was 16, help me do the whole thing. It turned out to be a great father son thing.

GingerTJ 05-04-2013 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fortunately everything can be fixed with time and money

GingerTJ 05-04-2013 04:32 PM

Fortunately everything can be fixed with time and money

Water Dog 05-04-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Attachment 244767

Plenty more to follow.

Always nice to have an extra pair of shocks with you....but where to store them?....:rolleyes:

Jeffreybomb 05-04-2013 04:42 PM

I guess I'm fortunate in that the only stupid thing my PO did was wrap tail light wiring around something inside the tub. It was a pain in the ass to get my hand up there and unwrap the wiring. Damn these gargantuan ham-fists!

The downside is that I don't have a hilarious story to tell.

On the other up-side, though: I have a thread I can reference to make sure I'm not about to do something incredibly stupid to my baby. :)