Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Painting the Muffler (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/painting-the-muffler-239977.html)

btharris24 05-03-2013 11:23 AM

Painting the Muffler
 
Thinking about painting the ugly silver muffler this weekend and wanted to know if there's any prep work needed first? I bought the black hi-temp paint but wasn't sure if that's all I needed to do.

Thanks,
Brian

NWranglerS 05-03-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btharris24 (Post 3714915)
Thinking about painting the ugly silver muffler this weekend and wanted to know if there's any prep work needed first? I bought the black hi-temp paint but wasn't sure if that's all I needed to do.

Thanks,
Brian

I just roughed mine up with a finer grit sandpaper then made sure it was clean before spraying. Came out great and it looks the same as the day I did it.

btharris24 05-03-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWranglerS (Post 3714976)
I just roughed mine up with a finer grit sandpaper then made sure it was clean before spraying. Came out great and it looks the same as the day I did it.

Sweet, thanks!

Thorshammer7 05-03-2013 11:56 AM

I washed mine good and painted it with high temp flat black header paint and it has held up well for a couple months now.

sinepome 05-03-2013 12:04 PM

High temp is not necessary but not a bad idea either. Scuff it with a red scotch brite pad. Clean it well and shoot it.

Abnormal-JK 05-03-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinepome (Post 3715042)
Scuff it with a red scotch brite pad.

Dang... I used a green Scotch Brite.... my bad

asianhulk 05-03-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshua_Pines (Post 3715049)
Dang... I used a green Scotch Brite.... my bad

Either will etch the surface, green will just be finer and may take more passes.

Anyone drop the muffler first?

Barmanvarn 05-03-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianhulk (Post 3715068)

Either will etch the surface, green will just be finer and may take more passes.

Anyone drop the muffler first?

I say just mask off what is needed and paint what's visible. That's my plan.

jwilson2598 05-03-2013 09:48 PM

Personally I didn't even scuff on either of my JK's and it held up fine. Just cleaned it some, then shot on the high temp grill paint.

Thorshammer7 05-04-2013 07:17 AM

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...ps770703bf.jpg

rd3i 05-06-2013 08:54 AM

It seems some of you have used "high temp grill paint" - my Home Depot carries a Rustoleum high temp grill paint but it doesn't say if it's matte/flat or semi/gloss. I think others have used the VHT brand as well. Any recommendations for a matte/flat finish?

BadOleRoss 05-06-2013 05:24 PM

Either should look fine. I am pretty sure I used the Rustoleum Grill paint on mine....it looks flat.

Thorshammer7 05-06-2013 06:46 PM

I used the VHT and it holds up well. I used the same paint on the exhaust on a Sportster last year and its still there.

deepbluerubi 05-06-2013 06:55 PM

I used header paint I picked up at NAPA.

Rooster76 05-06-2013 08:17 PM

I used high heat Rustoleum. I preped with a quick sanding with a scotch brite red brillow pad. It's about the same as 100 grit sand paper. Mine has held up pretty well for about 8 months. I did have to touch up a few spots recently. Likely from prepping it too quick. I sprayed my whole exhaust pipe and anywhere that had bare metal except the drive shaft.

rd3i 05-06-2013 08:45 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I'll pick up the Rustoleum and report back in a week or so.

chshattuck 02-11-2014 11:21 AM

My muffler is stained with red mud famous in the south. Do you guys suggest I rough it up a little before painting or do you think it would stick without it?

dangle 02-11-2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chshattuck (Post 8165969)
My muffler is stained with red mud famous in the south. Do you guys suggest I rough it up a little before painting or do you think it would stick without it?

I cleaned the mud stains off mine the best I could. Roughed it up and wiped it with acetone.

What sucks now is I have a black muffler stained brown from the mud. No win for me. :(

jaxs1984 02-11-2014 11:56 AM

Stupid question :) Are you guys removing the muffler to paint it ?

backdoc 02-11-2014 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxs1984 (Post 8166801)
Stupid question :) Are you guys removing the muffler to paint it ?

Not necessary.

jaxs1984 02-11-2014 01:16 PM

--backdoc- thanks for the info, I guess I should make this my summer project :) I recently changed the muffler to banks cause I couldn't stand looking at the big OLD muffler.

dangle 02-11-2014 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxs1984 (Post 8166801)
Stupid question :) Are you guys removing the muffler to paint it ?

I removed mine.

redskinswin 02-11-2014 02:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I removed mine and used a hi temp engine paint in flat black. Very easy to remove and lets you get the entire muffler painted.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 AM.