Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Federal Law- 393.136 and how it applies to notching the frame (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/federal-law-393-136-and-how-it-applies-to-notching-the-frame-240056.html)

cjramseyusa 05-03-2013 07:29 PM

Federal Law- 393.136 and how it applies to notching the frame

Hello,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I bought a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited in November of last year, and I've been spending a lot of time saving up for parts and what-not since I bought it. J.ust E.mpty E.very P.ocket, right? :-)

With that said, I have gotten several items, such as a lift, shocks, and all the bells and whistles that come with upgrading to 35s. I was wanting to upgrade to either Teraflex Speedbumps or the King Air Bumps. I spoke with a gentleman from King today, and he mentioned that a some people notch the frame to install the airbumps on the rear of the JK. Sounded reasonable providing there is no loss of strength to the frame, and there is no inherent risk of the damage to the frame by doing it.

However, I ran across this, and it gave me pause:

Subpart J - Frames, cab and body components, wheels, steering, and suspension systems

393.201Frames.
(a) The frame or chassis of each commercial motor vehicle shall not be cracked, loose, sagging or broken.(b) Bolts or brackets securing the cab or the body of the vehicle to the frame must not be loose, broken, or missing.(c) The frame rail flanges between the axles shall not be bent, cut or notched, except as specified by the manufacturer.(d) Parts and accessories shall not be welded to the frame or chassis of a commercial motor vehicle except in accordance with the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations. Any welded repair of the frame must also be in accordance with the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations.(e) No holes shall be drilled in the top or bottom rail flanges, except as specified by the manufacturer.[53 FR 49402, Dec. 7, 1988, as amended at 70 FR 48055, Aug. 15, 2005]

This can be found at Frames. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

With that said, would notching the frame be something that should only be done for "trail only" wranglers? Or do the laws above only apply to commercial vehicles? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for helping a newbie out! :)

cjramseyusa 05-03-2013 07:40 PM

I think I'm leaning toward NOT doing this, and going with the Teraflex Speedbumps instead (just install and go, no frame altering). But I thought I'd ask your opinions.

goodstrongbeer 05-03-2013 07:42 PM

Your Jeep is not a Commercial Motor Vehicle.

PhotoWrangler 05-03-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodstrongbeer (Post 3716410)
your jeep is not a commercial motor vehicle.

+1

cjramseyusa 05-03-2013 07:48 PM

Of course not. :-) Forgive me, I didn't notice that the law stated above was for commercial vehicles until after I posted the thread. But this has me thinking, are there laws similar to this one that apply to privately owned vehicles?

BadOleRoss 05-03-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjramseyusa (Post 3716436)
Of course not. :-) Forgive me, I didn't notice that the law stated above was for commercial vehicles until after I posted the thread. But this has me thinking, are there laws similar to this one that apply to privately owned vehicles?

There may be but I can't believe an inspector would notice unless you did so real serious frame modifications.

PhotoWrangler 05-03-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjramseyusa (Post 3716436)

If there were, you most certainly would have heard about it by now.

dav5942 05-03-2013 08:06 PM

Don't sweat it! Tfe average person breaks ten laws a day!

cjramseyusa 05-03-2013 09:30 PM

Thanks for your input guys!

Tweak 05-03-2013 09:41 PM

this is one of those laws that is on the books so if something happens the state can say "told you so"

goodstrongbeer 05-03-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweak (Post 3716831)
this is one of those laws that is on the books so if something happens the state can say "told you so"

No. This is a Federal law that applies to commercial motor vehicles.

tomthbomb 05-03-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

average person breaks ten laws a day!
Ten? You Da Man!:thumb:
Just make sure it doesn't have anything to do with paying taxes......:whistling: