Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   good deal? Yah or nay? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/good-deal-yah-or-nay-240132.html)

thegreyman 05-04-2013 01:39 AM

good deal? Yah or nay?
 
Hey guys-

Just wanted to see who bought the extended warranty plan at the dealer? I went for it, normally I pass, but in this case, I am keeping it the jeep until it falls apart and will it put the JK through the grinder as a "back road" hunting vehicle and trail warrior. I also have zero mechanic skills.

After reading some posts on various car sites, I am wondering If I got ripped off or not.

here is what I got for and extra 5K:
7yrs/76K bumper to bumper FULL Coverage Waranty ( on top of the factory)
alarm with theft coverage ( if they steal it- I get a new one) valid till 2018.
Oil changes/tire rotations paid for 5 years.
paint sealant/fabric protector ( free)
Tow hitch-- max capacity kit ( free)
Running boards ( free)

Did I get ripped off? Or decent deal? Got 3k off of the MSRP and 2.99% percent financing.

thoughts?

Farnham21 05-04-2013 02:25 AM

5k! Lol you got taken my friend. From my days at a used dealership, full bumper to bumper by the best company we worked through was like 3k max. For 10 years 100,000 miles. And out cost was only like 1800.

PhotoWrangler 05-04-2013 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreyman (Post 3717735)
here is what I got for and extra 5K:

Got 3k off of the MSRP

thoughts?



They took $3000 off, but added $5000, so basically you just paid $2000 more than sticker/msrp, which more than pays for all of those oil changes. The rest is just paperwork.

Farnham21 05-04-2013 02:53 AM

Who pays sticker? That's absurd to pay the sticker price. I got mine for $2750 under sticker taxes included! (So really like 3500$ under) and I didn't get hosed for a warranty or any other junk.

PhotoWrangler 05-04-2013 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farnham21 (Post 3717804)
Who pays sticker? That's absurd to pay the sticker price. I got mine for $2750 under sticker taxes included! (So really like 3500$ under) and I didn't get hosed for a warranty or any other junk.


I paid sticker, but only because it was $2000 under MSRP to begin with. I also rolled $1K into it. I brought my own financing though, from my credit union. Once it was all said and done, the dealership only made about $700 off of me. My credit union was really good, and pretty much did all the negotiating for me. The dealership had to fax them the purchase order and all that good stuff.

I didn't buy the extended warranty, however I did just get a letter in the mail from Diamler Chrysler that said I have until the end of May to buy the warranty outright if I want it, and something about saving $150 if I do. I'll look at it further this week.

thegreyman 05-04-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoWrangler (Post 3717795)
They took $3000 off, but added $5000, so basically you just paid $2000 more than sticker/msrp, which more than pays for all of those oil changes. The rest is just paperwork.

Well that 2K did get me bumper to bumper..free oil changes...for 7years/76K ( any jeep dealer). plus the alarm and other lil goodies. So it can't be that bad

jadmt 05-04-2013 01:06 PM

There is only one person who has to think it is a good deal and that is the person who signs on the dotted line. You could have gotten your jeep fro free and they could have included a garage to park it in for life and somebody would come on and tell you they got a better deal. It has been that way since the invent of forums. My deal was better then your deal.

jdambm 05-04-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 3718809)
There is only one person who has to think it is a good deal and that is the person who signs on the dotted line. You could have gotten your jeep fro free and they could have included a garage to park it in for life and somebody would come on and tell you they got a better deal. It has been that way since the invent of forums. My deal was better then your deal.

This, be happy

thegreyman 05-04-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 3718809)
There is only one person who has to think it is a good deal and that is the person who signs on the dotted line. You could have gotten your jeep fro free and they could have included a garage to park it in for life and somebody would come on and tell you they got a better deal. It has been that way since the invent of forums. My deal was better then your deal.

Thanks. I feel good about my bottom end price. I am still not sure about the extended warranty- though, so only time will tell if I really needed it.

PhotoWrangler 05-04-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 3718809)
There is only one person who has to think it is a good deal and that is the person who signs on the dotted line. You could have gotten your jeep fro free and they could have included a garage to park it in for life and somebody would come on and tell you they got a better deal. It has been that way since the invent of forums. My deal was better then your deal.



This is very, very true.

I paid sticker for mine, rolled a grand into it, and its only the base model. But in the end I still smile every time I get into it, and I'm still able to afford the payments, so... Life is all good!

BadOleRoss 05-04-2013 06:51 PM

As long as you are happy with the deal you got that's all that matters. If you are having 2nd thoughts about the extended warranty you can cancel that and have it refunded. After a certain number of days the refunded amount gets pro-rated.

JackedUpMedic 05-04-2013 07:00 PM

All that matters is that you're satisfied with the deal, can make the payments and are ready to enjoy your jeep. Its normal to question yourself when spending this amount of money, lets face it its a big purchase.

thegreyman 05-05-2013 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackedUpMedic (Post 3719627)
All that matters is that you're satisfied with the deal, can make the payments and are ready to enjoy your jeep. Its normal to question yourself when spending this amount of money, lets face it its a big purchase.

Thanks. It is a big purchase.

So I just found out I can cancel the extended warranty and get 95% of my money refunded. Hmmm, now what to do is the next question

amiller 05-05-2013 01:33 AM

^^^Me personally, I would return the extended warranty. Next I would take the 5k and hide it away for a rainy day. However, if you feel more comfortable with a warranty that is up to you. Is the vehicle financed, or did you pay cash? If financed, remember, you are paying interest on that 5k and in the end, that warranty will have cost significantly more. I would take the money and put it into a couple of ziploc bags, place said bags in a tupperware container, fill with water and then freeze it. This way, you can still get to your money...it just makes you really think whether your purchase is necessary or not. The time it takes to thaw the money out might just help you make a better choice. It has worked for me in the past. I have thawed the money before.... and I have kept it frozen at times too. ALSO, it helps that I have better than average mechanical aptitude and good friends that are ASE Master certified techs (if I cant figure it out first).

Hellraiser 05-05-2013 01:37 AM

I'm really glad I had extended warranty on my 08. Extended would have been done the end of May. But not before the pinion and spider gears were covered, ujoints and transfer case leaking. So that would have been close to 2500$ with labour. So it was a great deal for me. My extra warranty cost 2500$. So in my case it was the right thing to buy.

thegreyman 05-08-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellraiser (Post 3720682)
I'm really glad I had extended warranty on my 08. Extended would have been done the end of May. But not before the pinion and spider gears were covered, ujoints and transfer case leaking. So that would have been close to 2500$ with labour. So it was a great deal for me. My extra warranty cost 2500$. So in my case it was the right thing to buy.

Thought about this for a couple days. Decided to cancel it. Dealer was pissed, but they had to legally oblige. Payments remain the same, but getting 5K and change. reduced from my loan. Plus I get to keep the alarm :)

It's days like this, when I say damn "life is good" :thumb:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 AM.