Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   drop pittman arm question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/drop-pittman-arm-question-240216.html)

A1ex 05-04-2013 02:32 PM

drop pittman arm question

i just bought a dropped pittman arm but have yet to install it. From what ive read i should put it on if i have the track bar bracket which i do. but i plan on upgrading to an adjustable track bar front and back. so should i still put the dropped pittman arm?

A1ex 05-04-2013 02:57 PM

ohh i forgot, i got the bracket in the rear trackbar not the front

PStov98TJ 05-04-2013 03:01 PM

Ok. You're getting confused. Don't install that DPA unless you want bump steer. The bracket is needed in the front if you have a DPA but really you should just get an adj. front track bar no DPA at all. Make sense?

A1ex 05-04-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PStov98TJ (Post 3719035)
Ok. You're getting confused. Don't install that DPA unless you want bump steer. The bracket is needed in the front if you have a DPA but really you should just get an adj. front track bar no DPA at all. Make sense?

yea makes sense
ill be getting adjustable front and rear and rc long arm upgrades in a few months, so i guess i wont be installing the dpa

A1ex 05-04-2013 03:13 PM

also, my front is sagging a bit, recommend pitting coil spacers? ive heard mixed reviews on that

PStov98TJ 05-04-2013 04:48 PM

1) No. The correct way to compensate for sag is higher rate springs.
2) I hope you aren't getting RC track bars...
3) Don't get me started on that RC long arm "kit".

A1ex 05-04-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PStov98TJ (Post 3719289)
No. The correct way to compensate for sag is higher rate springs. And don't get me started on that RC long arm "kit".

Do tell
I've been reading up on it and for my needs it seems to be fine, I offroad but not every weekend or anything too hardcore

A1ex 05-04-2013 04:58 PM

What's wrong with their track bars?

PStov98TJ 05-04-2013 05:06 PM

First, do more research on custom 4 link rear and 3 link front w/ trackbar set-ups. Learn how the angles of the arms relative to the ground and each other, placement of arms, and their separation at the axle and frame side effect different components of ride characteristics. If you do that, you will quickly begin to see that the RC kit is a suspension nightmare. And not to mention they don't use JJ. If you want the most out of your jeep in the way of articulation and longevity, JJ's are the only way to go in my opinion.

Read the thread posted below and the other one's posted in it by Imped. Imped has countless hours of experience with this kind of stuff. The 2nd page is alot of bickering but there's some really good stuff on pages 1, 3, and 4.

Educate yourself enough where you begin to have questions, then research & ask those questions. Then once you understand the answers to your questions, educate yourself some more and ask more questions. Repeat this cycle until you find what will work best for you. And remember, custom does NOT always mean extremely expensive. It does however, give you the chance to do something the right way. Here's that link:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/long...ts-228510.html

PStov98TJ 05-04-2013 05:19 PM

Here's what's wrong with their track bars. They cause serious interference with the diff on full bump. And a broken front track bar causes a seriously out of control jeep. Happened to me when my stock bolt sheared. My JKS track bar was fine, the bolt just broke. Either way, it could've been every bad. With a 4" lift, Currie makes a very good track bar for the front and rear. They even have a specially made braket to fit on the rear for their track bar that allows you to rotate the pinion for a sye/cv setup and have less clearance issues with the gas tank. Remember, this is not the area to cheap out in. Buy good high quality parts, it could literally save your life and your jeep.

Rough Country 7572 or 1083 Adjustable Track Bar? - JeepForum.com
tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit? - JeepForum.com
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/corr...gth-70047.html

PStov98TJ 05-04-2013 05:22 PM

And to add one more tid bit. The statement that so many people make of "well I don't offroad every weekend" or "I'm not super hardcore" doesn't mean you shouldn't invest in high quality stuff and set things up right. Street manners are just as important, if not more important that trail manners. You drive your jeep to the trail don't you? So why would you compromise on quality parts? Make sense?

SuicideSaints 05-04-2013 05:34 PM

That is correct, you should only use a dropped pitman arm if you have a dropped track bar mount as well. They should always be used together or neither at all. If you use one drop without the other you will get bump steer and possibly death wobble depending on the other configurations you have. I have a RE trackbar and no complaints yet. I'm using the dropped pitman arm with the dropped trackbar mount.

PStov98TJ 05-04-2013 05:40 PM

This is true. However, ideally, you won't use any drop brackets.

A1ex 05-04-2013 05:54 PM

I'll read over that when I have a bit more time. As much as I would love to go with everything currie or another proven high end brand I'm not made out of money either. I appreciate your time to write this all out and I will look it over. My plans are not set in stone yet by any means, but as mentioned I can't really go with all those high end parts. I'm a college student with not such a huge income what's so ever. I will be talking to my mechanic who is a friend and talk about custome jobs as well to compare those prices and benefits

PStov98TJ 05-04-2013 06:00 PM

Definitely look into a custom CA setup. Well worth it, especially over the RC stuff.

And no joke, save up for a good track bar. I'm in college as well and pay for every last cent worth of mods on my jeep. Don't go cheap on the track bar. Even if you have to wait a bit. It can save your life. Luckily mine failed at about 45 mph and my girlfriend and I made it ok because I instantly knew what it was when I heard the bolt hit the ground, and I was able to safely guide it to the side of the road. But I had also just gotten off the interstate. Had it happened on I-10 at 70 mph, I might not be warning you of this right now.