Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Recommend a Come-a-long (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/recommend-a-come-a-long-240253.html)

Hokieneer 05-04-2013 06:42 PM

Recommend a Come-a-long

Hey I have been looking for a come-a-long as a back-up for my winch and just looking for personal experience of good brands and a good weight rating for a JKU. Also if there are any other mechanical devices for recovery that you all use.

Thanks!

Scoutnad 05-04-2013 07:50 PM

Hi Lift jack - doubles as a heavy-duty come-along.

13Rubi 05-04-2013 07:51 PM

look into a high lift jack. they are pretty versatile, you could use it to lift or pull.

jrussblues 05-04-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 13rubi (Post 3719781)
look into a high lift jack. They are pretty versatile, you could use it to lift or pull.

x3

Hokieneer 05-04-2013 08:22 PM

I have looked at those and I am intrigued but I have seen some scary things, Have you guys used them for recovery? do they work well?

jrussblues 05-04-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hokieneer (Post 3719889)
I have looked at those and seemed some not so great things, Have you guys used them for recovery? do they work well?

They are extremely slow, but a come along isn't exactly fast either.

Hokieneer 05-04-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussblues (Post 3719890)
They are extremely slow, but a come along isn't exactly fast either.

yeah I def understand that this is really for when all else fails

Happy515Camper 05-04-2013 08:34 PM

I can tell you fellas are not pushing the envelope enough. Plan A-winch. Plan B-Hi Lift. Plan C one of these.
The Wyeth-Scott Co. - portable winches | cable puller | come along winches

I have gotten myself in so much trouble I needed all three rigged up at once pulling in different axis.
David

MichaelEdwardsDO 05-04-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy515Camper (Post 3719927)
I can tell you fellas are not pushing the envelope enough. Plan A-winch. Plan B-Hi Lift. Plan C one of these.

I have gotten myself in so much trouble I needed all three rigged up at once pulling in different axis.
David

Wish I could wheel with you ! You sound like you have my kind of good/bad judgment ;)

Hokieneer 05-04-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy515Camper (Post 3719927)

David

:thumb: impressive yeah I haven't gotten their yet but it is quickly heading that way the more I go out haha just trying to get ready for that time I need them. How do you like the hi-lift? I have looked at that come along looks like a serious piece

Happy515Camper 05-04-2013 10:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know its blasphemy but most of my off-road experience has been in full-sized Chevys. I ran a 79 Blazer for many years. A Hi Lift is a must and depending on how far you hang your keyster out in the wind the come-a-long becomes necessary. For a comparison here's my Blazer to show how much damage it could take. This is my first Jeep and I am not going to radicalize it, just make it overall more capable.
David

Hokieneer 05-04-2013 11:09 PM

That is a sweet rig though looks like that would be fun to build and run! congrats on your jeep too :thumb:. Yeah at this point I am thinking about getting both a 48" hi-lift and a 2-ton come along (think that will enough?)

Happy515Camper 05-05-2013 12:48 AM

I hate advising folks on what there will need unless I know what kind of wheeling you are likely to do. I feel that we tend to over-gadget our rigs with the latest and greatest. Also if you are on a trip with others on a regular basis sharing the equipment is a way to keep from having to buy everything yourself.
Another point is the lack of space on a jeep. My blazer was able to carry all kinds of stuff because of the size. I had recovery items like the jack, come a long, pull pal, three 50 foot straps, chain, extra synthetic winch line, D shackles, two pulleys plus a winch.
Add repair parts, water fuel, oil, trans fluid etc and things can get tight. I had three passenger seats too.
Sorry for making this a long drawn out response but it takes a while to figure out you needs but the Hi-lift is one of the very first purchases you should make if you plan to be out in the dirt. I would pas on the come a long for now and get some straps, line and shackles.
David

Hokieneer 05-05-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy515Camper (Post 3720615)
I hate advising folks on what there will need unless I know what kind of wheeling you are likely to do. I feel that we tend to over-gadget our rigs with the latest and greatest. Also if you are on a trip with others on a regular basis sharing the equipment is a way to keep from having to buy everything yourself.
Another point is the lack of space on a jeep. My blazer was able to carry all kinds of stuff because of the size. I had recovery items like the jack, come a long, pull pal, three 50 foot straps, chain, extra synthetic winch line, D shackles, two pulleys plus a winch.
Add repair parts, water fuel, oil, trans fluid etc and things can get tight. I had three passenger seats too.
Sorry for making this a long drawn out response but it takes a while to figure out you needs but the Hi-lift is one of the very first purchases you should make if you plan to be out in the dirt. I would pas on the come a long for now and get some straps, line and shackles.
David

Hey I appreciate your input and yeah got to watch space but the JKU has a bit of room. Honestly here in West Virginia the terrain is pretty variable you can be in deep mud one minutes then rock crawling the next yesterday I was playing in the sand next to a river, but it does seem like a hi lift is a good idea and I'm all set on straps, line, and shackles:thumb: