Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Cheap good winches (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/cheap-good-winches-240255.html)

Cameron138 05-04-2013 06:59 PM

Cheap good winches
 
Just wondering if any of you have any cheap winches you would suggest, I'v done alot of research and I'm starting to like the Q10000. I just wanted to hear your guys personal opinion, I think 10000 might be a tad much for my jeep.

Cameron138 05-04-2013 07:10 PM

I meant Q9000

Patrick H 05-04-2013 07:40 PM

I'll just warn you now- threads about cheap winches usually end up being many pages of people arguing over why you should spend the money and only buy name brand American made winches and the other folks arguing back about how over-priced they are and cheap Chinese winches are the way to go.
Just thought I'd give you a heads up..:)

98 tj sport 05-04-2013 08:04 PM

Yea it gets ugly usually.everyone has different opinions. But all I will say is that u should buy what is n ur price range and base it off of what u do or plan to do, and if others will usually be with u when u are out, me personally I wheel kinda hard n my opinion and have had my jeep n spots I probably shouldn't have and I knew that my warn wouldn't let me down and it hasn't yet and it gets used quite often, others say they have good luck with other brands and I'm not downing them, like I said u have to make that decision urself based off of ur needs, I managed to get my warn in good used condition for less than the other brands, got it for 250 and I have seen them on craigslist for around the same, just my 2 cents

4cylToy 05-04-2013 08:14 PM

If you need/use a winch a lot, stick to a known brand like Warn. If you use it occasionally, get a cheap one. I got the XRC8 by smittybilt in december. Ive used it twice and it performed. for $300, you cant beat it. If you have the cash to buy a $800 winch, congrats. But for a college student who wheels maybe once every other month, I didnt need an expense winch.

jrussblues 05-04-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4cylToy (Post 3719854)
If you need/use a winch a lot, stick to a known brand like Warn. If you use it occasionally, get a cheap one. I got the XRC8 by smittybilt in december. Ive used it twice and it performed. for $300, you cant beat it. If you have the cash to buy a $800 winch, congrats. But for a college student who wheels maybe once every other month, I didnt need an expense winch.

I ran a Smitty for 3 years no problem and the guy i sold it to is still running it with no problems. Its a pretty decent cheaper winch.

1jeeplvr 05-04-2013 09:20 PM

Maybe Ill sell my Warn.Since Ive had these lockers put in I dont even use it anymore

Cameron138 05-04-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr (Post 3720055)
Maybe Ill sell my Warn.Since Ive had these lockers put in I dont even use it anymore

Well I'm buying, what state are you in?

tsteb 05-04-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr (Post 3720055)
Maybe Ill sell my Warn.Since Ive had these lockers put in I dont even use it anymore

I will be interested if that falls through

1jeeplvr 05-04-2013 09:38 PM

I go wheeling with people that dont have winches.How do you think I make extra money lol

Moabrubi 05-04-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr (Post 3720100)
I go wheeling with people that dont have winches.How do you think I make extra money lol

Glad your not my wheeling buddy :flipoff:

Cameron138 05-04-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr (Post 3720100)
I go wheeling with people that dont have winches.How do you think I make extra money lol

You don't help other jeeps out? Sell your jeep as soon as possible.

viperx6x9x 05-04-2013 09:54 PM

Wish I could afford any winch right now. I wouldn't mind having a tow strap around so I could at least help people out some though, if I could find a reasonably priced one

jeepwayoflife 05-05-2013 03:12 AM

My engo 9000lb winch was $289 to my door and has a lifetime mechanical warranty. I replaced the steel line with 3/8" synthetic line from Viking after shredding the steel line (pulling trees). Not one problem with the winch and have had it on my jeep through 100degree weather in the summer and below zero temps in the winter. My only complaint is the solenoid box has faded, but still looks fine. My friend has the Q11000 on his JK and we haven't had a problem either.

98 tj sport 05-05-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr (Post 3720055)
Maybe Ill sell my Warn.Since Ive had these lockers put in I dont even use it anymore

I wouldn't do that idk about anyone else but I have heard this saying more than once, lockers get u into trouble and a winch will get u out, and I have used my winch more since the lockers cuz I now do harder obstacles and lines

JeepnJim 05-05-2013 08:29 AM

Smittybilt XRC8.

HobieSailor 05-05-2013 08:45 AM

Superwinch Tigershark 9500lb for $350.

I rarely see this winch mentioned but it's what I have and the quality seems good for the price. BTW this warning is off the superwinch site, found it interesting...

Warning: Synthetic rope cannot be used on this off-road winch. Synthetic rope can only be used on winches with steel drums designed specifically to withstand the rigorous forces created-by synthetic rope; for example the Superwinch Terra Series, the Danny O'Day S4000, the S4000SR or the Talon Series. In addtion, the heat generated by the brake which is located inside the Tiger Shark drum exceeds the heat limitations of Dyneema synthetic rope. Many of our competitors will sell you a winch with a similar brake in drum setup with aftermarket synthetic rope and will not warn you of the damage which may occur to the winch, rope, vehicle or injury to the winch operator.

1jeeplvr 05-05-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cameron138 (Post 3720113)
You don't help other jeeps out? Sell your jeep as soon as possible.

Really,of coarse Im kidding.I have used a dozen times on others,no I didnt charge them,loosen up will ya lol.

1jeeplvr 05-05-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 98 tj sport (Post 3720950)
I wouldn't do that idk about anyone else but I have heard this saying more than once, lockers get u into trouble and a winch will get u out, and I have used my winch more since the lockers cuz I now do harder obstacles and lines

Its a viscous cycle.Now I have front & rear lockers I have to find bigger & harder stuff to make it a challenge

1jeeplvr 05-05-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr (Post 3720100)
I go wheeling with people that dont have winches.How do you think I make extra money lol

Notice the LOL !!

jrussblues 05-05-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr (Post 3721498)

Notice the LOL !!

Watch the exclamation points...people are sometimes sensitive about those too.

s14sh3r 05-05-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussblues (Post 3721513)
Watch the exclamation points...people are sometimes sensitive about those too.

Sometimes people need to stop taking things on the internet so seriously. Something typed in sarcasm or jest may not come across that way to someone else. Shit's crazy, yo.

A winch is on my list of things I need. I almost got myself seriously stuck the other day in a swampy area. I stupidly decided to see if I could make it through this unused path that had about 3 feet of water in it. Huge mistake. I managed to back out of it, but only just barely. I'd love to have a Warn winch, but can't afford one. Hell, I can't afford a cheap one at the moment either, because I'll need to fabricate a winch plate to go with it. When I can, I'm leaning toward one of the Quadratec winches. The reviews I've read have been favorable and I like Quadratec. They've been good to me and I don't see them going away anytime soon.

thetoadLJ 05-05-2013 11:51 AM

I've winched myself out of mud and other jams about 6 times with my smitty xrc8. At the time I was strapped for cash and didnt have many ppl to go off roading with so I needed something for self recovery. So far it has performed exemplary. However once it takes a dump I will probably get a warn due to the great things I've heard about them and I try to take every opportunity I can to buy American.

techflork 05-05-2013 12:27 PM

I bought a chinese piece of junk, and it is a chinese piece of junk. But in its own defense it hasn't failed me yet. I will replace with a warn when I have the cash and this one dies but I don't see this one dying yet. It's been over 2 years, and still going fine. It pulls rather slowly but it gets the job done. It's an Engo 9000. Word of advice, if you live up north just by synthetic. This stupid steel line is rusting like no other and I have now kinked it so badly I must buy a new one. Best of luck!

jeepwayoflife 05-05-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techflork (Post 3721611)
I bought a chinese piece of junk, and it is a chinese piece of junk. But in its own defense it hasn't failed me yet. I will replace with a warn when I have the cash and this one dies but I don't see this one dying yet. It's been over 2 years, and still going fine. It pulls rather slowly but it gets the job done. It's an Engo 9000. Word of advice, if you live up north just by synthetic. This stupid steel line is rusting like no other and I have now kinked it so badly I must buy a new one. Best of luck!

Why is it junk if it hasn't failed you? It pulls low amperage and pulls at an average speed for a 9000lb winch. The line is galvanized so unless its really torn up it shouldn't be rusting too much. How did you kink it?

InvisiblePants 05-06-2013 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepwayoflife (Post 3721880)
.... The line is galvanized so unless its really torn up it shouldn't be rusting too much. How did you kink it?

I'm curious as well.

JG Hines 05-06-2013 07:26 AM

Tiger Shark 9,500
 
To echo what HobieSailor mentioned, we're big fans of the Tiger Shark 9,500. We've been selling these hand over fist all season. The reason?

It's a really well built, well thought out winch. Stainless hardware, rollers and tie bars are a rare feature on winches costing more that 2x the $349 we sell it (with free shipping too).

We've got a nifty solenoid comparison to the Warn VR as well. Check it out.

Good luck,

jg
superwinchexperts.com

SuicideSaints 05-07-2013 02:48 PM

I have the Quardratec Q9000. I love it so far, though I have only used it once (other than the initial cable stretch pull). It looks nice and performed when I needed it to. The line speed was about average. I go the black one, I didnt like the look of the silver one. The lifetime mechanical warranty and 1 year electric warranty was appealing. The Quadratec rep hooked me up with free shipping and it was here in 2 days. I have no complaints so far. I am headed to Moab at the end of the month so we will see what it can really do.

thgr8alex 05-07-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuicideSaints (Post 3729911)
I have the Quardratec Q9000. I love it so far, though I have only used it once (other than the initial cable stretch pull). It looks nice and performed when I needed it to. The line speed was about average. I go the black one, I didnt like the look of the silver one. The lifetime mechanical warranty and 1 year electric warranty was appealing. The Quadratec rep hooked me up with free shipping and it was here in 2 days. I have no complaints so far. I am headed to Moab at the end of the month so we will see what it can really do.

Post back up after you get back and use it some. Im interested in the q9000 as well

Gixxer86g 05-07-2013 04:53 PM

I just ordered the Q9000 myself, and the Smittybilt raised plate. I think I'll be a happy camper.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 PM.