Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Antenna clearing windsheild light? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/antenna-clearing-windsheild-light-240273.html)

MangoTango34 05-04-2013 08:14 PM

Antenna clearing windsheild light?

I have KCs on my wind shield and my antenna keeps hitting it. I saw that someone once moved it to an angle that it was parallel with the windshield.

Anyone know how to do that or have a redirect?

Plus is there any way to make that antenna shorter and bedline it?

MichaelEdwardsDO 05-04-2013 08:19 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007PV1Z42

Stubby antenna

MangoTango34 05-04-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelEdwardsDO (Post 3719874)

Is that the only way? I heard those dont get as much reception.

Barmanvarn 05-04-2013 08:26 PM

I have the antennae x model. No reception issues that I've noticed.

MichaelEdwardsDO 05-04-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MangoTango34 (Post 3719894)

Mine is as good or better than stock

1manWolfpack 05-04-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barmanvarn (Post 3719897)

Same here. Only had it on a few days, but even a station that was a little spotty is coming in just fine with this one.

Beastmaster 05-04-2013 09:22 PM

I went with an antenna-x. They're a vendor here and give free shipping.

Up Hill Bill 05-04-2013 09:31 PM

Pull the ball off the end of your stock antenna. Cut it to whatever length works for you (I cut mine to about 21".) Solder the ball back on and paint. I used Rustoleum flat black. It's held up for about a year and a half so far and will be simple to repaint if it needs it.

No more catching on brush and branches and whipping all over the place!

The shorter the antenna, the worse the reception. It's physics, not opinion. Don't pay any attention to the "butt dyno" opinions that this is not the case. It is!

moscoeb 05-04-2013 09:39 PM

Unscrew your antennae, pop off plastic cover, unscrew two bolts holding the plate into side of jeep, pull out wire, disconnect, mark plate where two new holes need to be, drill holes, reassemble, voila! Antennae is at a new angle and away from lights!

I'll take a picture tomorrow of mine if you want to see.

MichaelEdwardsDO 05-04-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 3720087)
Pull the ball off the end of your stock antenna. Cut it to whatever length works for you (I cut mine to about 21".) Solder the ball back on and paint. I used Rustoleum flat black. It's held up for about a year and a half so far and will be simple to repaint if it needs it.

No more catching on brush and branches and whipping all over the place!

The shorter the antenna, the worse the reception. It's physics, not opinion. Don't pay any attention to the "butt dyno" opinions that this is not the case. It is!

Put a properly threaded bolt in the mount. I'm town you'll get reception of high power stations. Up hill bill is correct about the signal but since most fm radio stations are now digital you no longer need a strong signal for strong sound.

st1264 05-04-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barmanvarn (Post 3719897)

My reception actually improved with the stubby. FM is not that difficult to receive. A stock 35" antenna is not needed for most people. Mine just clipped branches and looked crappy. I had reception issues with the stock antenna (signal overload I think), problems are now gone.

MangoTango34 05-05-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moscoeb (Post 3720104)
Unscrew your antennae, pop off plastic cover, unscrew two bolts holding the plate into side of jeep, pull out wire, disconnect, mark plate where two new holes need to be, drill holes, reassemble, voila! Antennae is at a new angle and away from lights!

I'll take a picture tomorrow of mine if you want to see.

Please!

AUskier 05-05-2013 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just bent the stock antenna. It's working for me...
Attachment 245489

JTPhoto JK 05-05-2013 04:52 PM

There is a different style of windshield mount that keeps the lights more inboard. I also have the AntennaX stubby.

Antenna_X 05-05-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MangoTango34 (Post 3719894)

correct, we dont sell anything this short. why waste money when you can just run without one and get the same bad reception

MichaelEdwardsDO 05-06-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antenna_X (Post 3723001)

correct, we dont sell anything this short. why waste money when you can just run without one and get the same bad reception

I have one of your antennas and it works great

moscoeb 05-06-2013 12:18 PM

I will try and take some tomorrow when I get off work and am around the jeep.
It's super simple though. Remove antennae Pop off that plastic black cover around the base of the antennae, you should see some screws. Unscrew them, the radio wire is connected to the back. Unscrew this, leave it hanging outside the jeep so you don't lose it.
Reattach antennae and figure out what angle you want it at. Mark where new screw holes need to be. Drill with appropriate size bit. Check work and reassemble.

I have mine pretty close to parallel with the windshield frame a-post.

MichaelEdwardsDO 05-06-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moscoeb (Post 3725083)
I will try and take some tomorrow when I get off work and am around the jeep.
It's super simple though. Remove antennae Pop off that plastic black cover around the base of the antennae, you should see some screws. Unscrew them, the radio wire is connected to the back. Unscrew this, leave it hanging outside the jeep so you don't lose it.
Reattach antennae and figure out what angle you want it at. Mark where new screw holes need to be. Drill with appropriate size bit. Check work and reassemble.

I have mine pretty close to parallel with the windshield frame a-post.

My stubby antenna is touching my light housing. I think I'm gonna try this since its seems so easy

Antenna_X 05-06-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelEdwardsDO (Post 3724780)
I have one of your antennas and it works great

thanks!!

st1264 05-06-2013 11:22 PM

Some guys are using a 'hidden antenna'. I'd look into that and not have to worry about an external one messing with your WS lights.

Jared66 05-07-2013 12:40 AM

Just strap ur antenna to the grill of the kc light cover with a metal zap strap lol. That's what I did. Works good lol.

Omar Brannstrom 05-07-2013 02:59 AM

Hi

I have a smittybilt bracket that has a antenna "holder" that bends the antenna out. My lights are small so I am not sure it would clear your lights.

http://www.pbase.com/omar_brannstrom.../145471019.jpg

moscoeb 05-07-2013 09:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here it is in the new position.

Antenna_X 05-12-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moscoeb (Post 3729040)
Here it is in the new position.

I like it but wonder is you will be prone to chipping paint with this angle on the wrangler?

moscoeb 05-12-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antenna_X (Post 3748556)

I like it but wonder is you will be prone to chipping paint with this angle on the wrangler?

I have never had it hit the paint under normal conditions.
Maybe a few times on the trails from branches and brush, but speed is slow enough that there is no damage to the paint.

joe buell 05-12-2013 08:47 PM

As seen in AUskiers pic post of the bent antenna I also run the KC daykighters 6" and I just grabbed the antenna and bent it backwards about 4" from the base and it is angled right along with the windshield and will not scratch neither light or windshield frame this is the easiest way other than a stubby but this doe's work well.:punk: