Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   flat tow bar (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/flat-tow-bar-240296.html)

Sasha Schaefer 05-04-2013 11:19 PM

flat tow bar

Seen an awesome flat tow bar on a jeep today tried a few places to find one haven't yet any suggestions? Looking for one that doesn't stick to far out .

Off Pavement 05-05-2013 12:44 AM

How about one that stays on the tow vehicle and is easy to hitch-up by yourself?

Blue Ox Towbar

parker65 05-05-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by off pavement (Post 3720494)
how about one that stays on the tow vehicle and is easy to hitch-up by yourself?

blue ox towbar

x2

Wrangler part 2 05-07-2013 05:16 PM

I have used blue ox for the last 10 yrs on both my Jeep Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler and I have to say I am very pleased. It was a good investment. My Cherokee has been from NY to Yellowstone and back with out any issues.

Y-Guy 05-07-2013 08:27 PM

Hard to say there are a bunch out there, here's a list of popular ones you can start looking at to see if they match what you saw.
Readybrake RV Tow Bars and RV Surge Braking Systems for Car Towing - NSA RV Products
Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
Blue Ox Products
Blue Ox Products

parker65 05-08-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrangler part 2 (Post 3730237)
I have used blue ox for the last 10 yrs on both my Jeep Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler and I have to say I am very pleased. It was a good investment. My Cherokee has been from NY to Yellowstone and back with out any issues.

Just an FYI in case you haven't done so or been told.

If you've been using the same Blue Ox tow bar for 10 years , it should be inspected and serviced on a regular basis depending on how much you use it. There are parts which wear over time and it should also be checked for any stress cracks at the weld seams as well as play/slop in the sliding links.

Contrary to some peoples belief, tow bars do have a service life as well as servicable components. Blue Ox and others offer inspection, repair and rebuild services at most of the major FMCA or Good Sam rallies. That's where I get mine inspected or any replacement parts neccessary.

Don't neglect an inspection on an older tow bar. I've seen several posts lately on different RV forums of the tow bar breaking and coming apart while in tow. In almost every single instance it was an older, high mileage tow bar that hadn't had an inspection or service ever in it's lifetime. Two of the instances the bar had been purchased used, with no knowledge of it's previous use or service.

Every mechanical device will wear out eventually. Maintenance and up-keep are the key to long service and getting your money's worth from a product. Be safe and many happy travels.

Wrangler part 2 05-08-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parker65 (Post 3733625)

Just an FYI in case you haven't done so or been told.

If you've been using the same Blue Ox tow bar for 10 years , it should be inspected and serviced on a regular basis depending on how much you use it. There are parts which wear over time and it should also be checked for any stress cracks at the weld seams as well as play/slop in the sliding links.

Contrary to some peoples belief, tow bars do have a service life as well as servicable components. Blue Ox and others offer inspection, repair and rebuild services at most of the major FMCA or Good Sam rallies. That's where I get mine inspected or any replacement parts neccessary.

Don't neglect an inspection on an older tow bar. I've seen several posts lately on different RV forums of the tow bar breaking and coming apart while in tow. In almost every single instance it was an older, high mileage tow bar that hadn't had an inspection or service ever in it's lifetime. Two of the instances the bar had been purchased used, with no knowledge of it's previous use or service.

Every mechanical device will wear out eventually. Maintenance and up-keep are the key to long service and getting your money's worth from a product. Be safe and many happy travels.

Excellent point I absolutely keep on top of the of it with an inspection every year and recently rebuilt it. All of the parts that wear are available for purchase.