Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Please help in identifying a loose part found inside my new JK (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/please-help-in-identifying-a-loose-part-found-inside-my-new-jk-240439.html)

mmb 05-05-2013 07:14 PM

Please help in identifying a loose part found inside my new JK

2 Attachment(s)
This is my first post as I just got a new 2door, but have enjoyed researching many things here and finding great information on various topics. Thank you all.
I just got my Jeep a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday I put down the soft top for the first time and was later struggling for an hour to latch the back seat after putting a new QT cargo mat (BTW, I finally gave up and pulled it back out). But my request is because this morning I found the part shown in the attached pics on the passenger side floor. Can anybody please help me recognize what this is?
Thanks in advance for any help!

AMilton 05-05-2013 07:17 PM

That is what the bolt screws into to hold the hard top down, It slides into the channel on the side of the tub.

Mcrock 05-05-2013 07:18 PM

Backer nut for the bolts that hold the hard top down. Fits into the lip at top of tub
Mine always fall out when I switch from hard to soft top

Big Vic 05-05-2013 07:18 PM

I don't recognize that part. Not sure at all.

Big Vic 05-05-2013 07:20 PM

Now I know why, I have a soft top.

LesLazz 05-05-2013 07:25 PM

I'm brand new and don't even have my Jeep yet, but I can't help thinking that the part looks like something off the seatbelt setup. Either the locking mechanism or one of the other parts. Maybe it was dropped inside the Jeep by accident? (I HATE extra parts too, drives me nuts!) :banghead:

Hope someone else has a better guess...

LesLazz 05-05-2013 07:27 PM

Oh well, good to know as I will have dual top!

Mcrock 05-05-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LesLazz (Post 3722562)
Oh well, good to know as I will have dual top!

Check in the lip to make sure you have all of them. Dealership charges $$$ for those Ask me how I know.

AZikas86 05-05-2013 07:43 PM

I put the hard top bolts back in to make sure they dont slide out like last summer.

Mcrock 05-05-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZikas86 (Post 3722609)
I put the hard top bolts back in to make sure they dont slide out like last summer.

On my way out to the garage now! Why didn't I think of that Dah

Jaker jk 05-05-2013 07:56 PM

The better question is do you have a hard top , if so then don't lose those

If not that means your jeep came with a hardtop and they switch it out or took it before you bought it

landi jeep 05-05-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mcrock (Post 3722522)
Backer nut for the bolts that hold the hard top down. Fits into the lip at top of tub
Mine always fall out when I switch from hard to soft top

this. I have a soft top, but I recognize that from my bro's jku

mmb 05-05-2013 09:03 PM

Thanks! Yes I have the dual top and just removed the hardtop last weekend. Now I need to go check to make sure the others are in place, and I'll put the bolts back in as AZikas86 suggests to hold them. I'm glad I found it, and thanks everyone for your help. I wonder why jeep includes those slots for the bolts in the back, if in fact it seems to make more sense to put them back, especially as these things slide off.