Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Transmission fluid question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/transmission-fluid-question-240543.html)

mlmf 05-06-2013 09:18 AM

Transmission fluid question

I am new to the jeep (2006 Wrangler X) world coming from a Honda S2000.

I want to change the tranny fluid (manual) and wonder if anyone has used the GM Fluid Synchromesh Friction Modified Manual Transmission Fluid?

I used it in my Honda and it greatly improves the feel while shifting gears.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

MadMike84 05-06-2013 10:12 AM

Personally I'd use what your manual calls for.

Jerry Bransford 05-06-2013 10:18 AM

GM Synchromesh and Pennzoil Synchromesh (same product, different brand names) both technically meet the requirements of the NV3550 5-speed and NSG370 6-speed transmissions. However, not many who used it in those transmissions liked the shifting afterward. Not to mention both of those are a conventional gear lube, not a sythetic gear lube like most prefer for their transmission.

For your transmission, most prefer these lubs... Redline MTL, Amsoil Synchromesh, Royal Purple Synchromax, or Royal Purple MaxGear 75W-90. All of those get rave reviews and all are synthetics.

Not that I'm a synthetic lubricant fanatic, I use both synthetics & conventional lubes in my vehicles depending on what the component is. But for transmissions, I do prefer a synthetic. Especially for cold places like where you live in Wyoming where a synthetic transmission lubricant helps a lot with shifting in uber-cold conditions. :)

mlmf 05-06-2013 06:14 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I will go with the Royal Purple, because it has be the best oil I have ever used. I hope it is the same in the Jeep.

Jerry Bransford 05-06-2013 07:11 PM

Royal Purple is on a par with some of the better lubricants but it's nothing all that special. It is only purple due to their marketing people having come up with the idea of adding a short-lived purple dye to it. It doesn't even stay purple for long. :)

Some Farkin Guy 05-06-2013 08:46 PM

I'm using the Pennzoil synchromesh in my NSG370 gearbox. I plan to put Redline in at some point, I just wanted to get that old gear oil changed when I bought it and didn't have much money at the time. Who knows how long the PO let it go? It shifts well at about ~40+ F outside temp, any lower than that and it starts to clunk it's way into second until the transmission is warmed up. Good enough for $7 / quart, but it will be changed this summer.

PHILDABEAST 05-06-2013 08:55 PM

I went with the royal purple (only fluid I could find local) in mine and it didn't improve the shifting at all, but at least its fresh oil now.

mlmf 05-07-2013 09:21 AM

The main issue is that the Wrangler I purchased has a 3 inch body lift kit and the shifter is hitting the plastic piece that holds the shifter boot cover on.
I took it off yesterday and trimmed the metal that is supposed to protect the plastic to give me the extra room to shift.
I am concerned that the 1st to 2nd syncro is already bad. It grinds a little and it does not feel smooth going into 2nd gear.
I had a similar issue with my S2000 and when I put the GM Synchromesh Friction Modified into that transmission, everything got better.
I have no problem rebuilding the transmission myself, rebuilt my 4 speed in my Cosworth Vega several times. I just don't want to have to do this to a vehicle with only 45000 miles on it.
I am also not looking forward to removing the transfer case and the transmission.

I just looked at the Royal Purple site and they suggest their Synchromax as a replacement, but the most interesting thing I noticed is that they also that they do not always recommend their fluids. They actually recommend the OEM products for some.

Hiatus83 05-07-2013 09:25 PM

switch your shift boot to leather and trim the floor i did those two things i did to help alleviate the issue before i took off my t-case drop. The previous owner of the jeep probably put a t-case drop that affected everything.

mlmf 05-10-2013 12:39 PM

Thanks. I will look into that.