Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   SYE and Driveshaft (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/sye-and-driveshaft-240552.html)

1rbotma 05-06-2013 09:55 AM

SYE and Driveshaft

I've read that people prefer tom woods drive shafts and advance adaptors or JB SYE kits for us.

Has anyone used the SYE kit and drive shaft from Rough Country? I know there are some people who hate their lift and with that maybe their other products.

But does anyone have first hand experience with them?

I have a 00 tj 4.0" lift, np231 transfer case, g2 d44 axle. and tc drop kit.

Jerry Bransford 05-06-2013 10:08 AM

I like Tom Wood's products & extraordinary pre and post-sales support but I haven't heard of any true problems with any of the other brands of SYE kits. If you want a RC SYE kit, it would very likely be fine.

homebrwd 05-06-2013 11:02 AM

I just installed this setup this weekend.

New Jeep Slip Yoke Elimater Extreme Short 1310 CV Driveshaft SYE 231J Cardon | eBay

Really happy with the quality of the parts.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8137/8...8e5e9461_z.jpg
GOPR0012 by homebrwd, on Flickr

Jerry Bransford 05-06-2013 11:06 AM

Looks good, though it doesn't look like you've lifted the pinion shaft up to the angle it needs to be at for the new CV driveshaft yet.

homebrwd 05-06-2013 11:07 AM

all measurements put the pinion at 1/2 degree blow shaft angle. The fisheye of the camera may distort it a bit.

mrk130 05-06-2013 11:24 AM

Looks pretty.

homebrwd 05-06-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrk130 (Post 3724886)
Looks pretty.

Thanks lol, not a bad looking underside for a 114000 miles.

1rbotma 05-06-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3724630)
I like Tom Wood's products & extraordinary pre and post-sales support but I haven't heard of any true problems with any of the other brands of SYE kits. If you want a RC SYE kit, it would very likely be fine.

ok. do i need universal snap ring plies and a puller of some sort?

Jerry Bransford 05-06-2013 01:26 PM

You won't need a puller but yes you'll need a good set of snap-ring pliers that open extra-wide. Most snap ring pliers I've seen don't open widely enough to install a SYE kit, I had to get mine from a Matco tool truck I noticed parked at a local car dealership.

Relocatedduckman 05-06-2013 01:48 PM

I bought the tereflex super short sye.. And Tom woods rear drive shaft.. I LOVE the super short sye!! Great price and customer service from both tereflex and Tom woods. Even ordered the front driveshaft from Tom woods after getting the rear one in.. You can't beat the customer service!!

Jerry Bransford 05-06-2013 01:49 PM

Who is this Tom Woods guy? Is he related to Tom Wood? ;) :D

1rbotma 05-06-2013 01:52 PM

ok.. a set of craftsman pliers may not work... hope they do.. thanks.

homebrwd 05-06-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1rbotma (Post 3725284)
ok. do i need universal snap ring plies and a puller of some sort?

I had to use a 6in gear puller to remove my harmonic balancer.

I used Lisle 44900 lock ring pliers with no issues.

Relocatedduckman 05-06-2013 01:53 PM

I would make sure you have the pliers before pulling it.. Don't use any other pliers.. Could cause damage really quick.. Gears are not cheap to replace!!

mrk130 05-06-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebrwd (Post 3724891)

Thanks lol, not a bad looking underside for a 114000 miles.

Ha. I was referring specifically to your SYE and driveshaft. Looking forward to the day.

Some Farkin Guy 05-06-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebrwd (Post 3724796)
I just installed this setup this weekend.

New Jeep Slip Yoke Elimater Extreme Short 1310 CV Driveshaft SYE 231J Cardon | eBay

Really happy with the quality of the parts.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8137/8...8e5e9461_z.jpg
GOPR0012 by homebrwd, on Flickr

If I'm not mistaken, it looks like you used the same company I did for my CV driveshaft. Tattons? I was really impressed with it, especially for the price. :thumb:

GoldenSahara00 05-06-2013 06:23 PM

I have a rugged ridge SYE I got from a friend, which I believe is the same one RC sells, according to the RR. It will be going in in a few weeks, I hope. I'll let you know how it is. There is a common issue with the seal, but that's a cheap and easy fix. My friend had no issue when running it on his rig.

homebrwd 05-06-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Some Farkin Guy (Post 3726395)
If I'm not mistaken, it looks like you used the same company I did for my CV driveshaft. Tattons? I was really impressed with it, especially for the price. :thumb:

Yup he sells it as a kit with Extreme Short SYE.

Some Farkin Guy 05-06-2013 08:05 PM

I forgot to mention, I'm running the RR SYE. I believe goldensahara is right that it's the same as the one RC sells. It doesn't leak a drop and was reasonably easy to install, provided you have the right tools and aren't stingy with the permatex.

Also worth noting, I couldn't find a harmonic balancer puller long enough for the rear output shaft. If yours has a harmonic balancer, either see if you have better luck than me finding a puller, or do what I did, which was get 3 long m6 (I think) bolts and use those to tighten into your old housing gradually until it pops loose enough to remove by hand. Scars up your old housing a bit, but it's not like you're going to use it again.

Good luck, and believe me, the work that goes into this is worth it. It eliminated all of the problems my transfer case drop created, worth every penny and bloody knuckle. Remember that if you get pissed off at a snap ring or two. :whistling:

1rbotma 05-06-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Some Farkin Guy (Post 3726861)
I forgot to mention, I'm running the RR SYE. I believe goldensahara is right that it's the same as the one RC sells. It doesn't leak a drop and was reasonably easy to install, provided you have the right tools and aren't stingy with the permatex.

Also worth noting, I couldn't find a harmonic balancer puller long enough for the rear output shaft. If yours has a harmonic balancer, either see if you have better luck than me finding a puller, or do what I did, which was get 3 long m6 (I think) bolts and use those to tighten into your old housing gradually until it pops loose enough to remove by hand. Scars up your old housing a bit, but it's not like you're going to use it again.

Good luck, and believe me, the work that goes into this is worth it. It eliminated all of the problems my transfer case drop created, worth every penny and bloody knuckle. Remember that if you get pissed off at a snap ring or two. :whistling:

great! thanks for the encouragement. I seem to have a lot of vibration and I hope to get rid of that with the sye and new rear driveshaft. did it help with your vibrations?

Some Farkin Guy 05-11-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1rbotma (Post 3727293)
great! thanks for the encouragement. I seem to have a lot of vibration and I hope to get rid of that with the sye and new rear driveshaft. did it help with your vibrations?

The driveline vibrations were completely eliminated afterwards. It fixed multiple problems I was having. This post from my build thread details everything it fixed for me.