Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   New Mexico Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f52/)
-   -   the basic needed (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f52/the-basic-needed-240581.html)

NMBruce 05-06-2013 11:18 AM

the basic needed

Last week at the Weds meet, I learned, I have a lot to learn about Jeeps.

In the past with my friends when we did off road trips and it seemed between everyone, we had what we needed, but I have very little off road equipment.

so what are the basic to have? I do not plan to lift (well maybe a small lift and 33, maybe 35, MPG important) the Jeep, my goal with this is to build a expedition Jeep that I can do some traveling with and still have fun off road.

So I guess I would like you input on what I should do to the Jeep and what I should have with me.

1) CB (all ready have one, but will get a Cobra 75 & firestick)
2) hi lift jack
3) tow strap (recovery gear)
4) fire extinguisher
5) ???

Do I need to reenforce the front axles?

Long term, around Christmas will get some bumpers, maybe a winch.
AEV rear bumper and maybe front bumper.

NMBruce 05-06-2013 12:55 PM

what about under body armor ?

Darkfire 05-06-2013 02:19 PM

I think your list is good and your December adds better. You can avoid a lift if you do metal cloak fenders. That will get you all the clearance and travel you need with 33".

Other things that are god to have would be
Tool kit
Air tank ( to air down and back up)
First aid kit

Under body armor is always nice but do you want to go that deep, far or technical to really need it with a "stock" jeep?

Axle reinforcement is really for HEAVY rock crawling of big 37"+ tires

NMBruce 05-06-2013 03:47 PM

Thanks

Tools I got, compressor I got, small first aid kit I got

What about the bolts replacement to stop DW, like?
Synergy Suspension*::*Jeep JK*::*Synergy Suspension Jeep JK Complete UCA, LCA & Track Bar Hardware Kit

I will do trails, like the ones in SW Colorado, Black Bear, Alpine loop

Darkfire 05-06-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMBruce (Post 3725816)
Thanks

Tools I got, compressor I got, small first aid kit I got

What about the bolts replacement to stop DW, like?
Synergy Suspension :: Jeep JK :: Synergy Suspension Jeep JK Complete UCA, LCA & Track Bar Hardware Kit

I will do trails, like the ones in SW Colorado, Black Bear, Alpine loop

If you are doing a suspension lift and replacing stock components then yes on the synergy kit. If not then you will not put enough strain on the stock components to worry about it.

abqtj 05-06-2013 07:09 PM

Here's a little article I wrote a few years ago covering some basics to take with you.

Off-Roading 101: What to bring on the trail - National Off-Roading | Examiner.com

There's a few others in the Off Roading 101 style that you can search for if you like. Just click my name on there and dig through. I don't write there any longer, so don't think I'm pimping this to get $$ or hits or anything :)

Jt_Ripper 05-06-2013 10:07 PM

you forgot the most important thing to take... once your done offroading... you need...

BEER!!!!:thumb::rofl: http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/funny/1/...nking-beer.gif

Darkfire 05-06-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jt_Ripper (Post 3727405)
you forgot the most important thing to take... once your done offroading... you need...

BEER!!!!:thumb::rofl:

X6 or x12 and 24 is better

NMBruce 05-06-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jt_Ripper (Post 3727405)

BEER!!!!:thumb::rofl: http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/funny/1/...nking-beer.gif

The reason I started his thread, sometimes is the simple things we forget :doh:

Darkfire 05-06-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMBruce (Post 3727452)

The reason I started his thread, sometimes is the simple things we forget :doh:

In that case forget the beer. Because that's the first thing we pack

mckey73 05-06-2013 11:28 PM

Since beer was brought up I'm going to put it in the category of FLUIDS. Think of all the fluids you would ever need, water, oil, gear oil, ATF for the transfer case, power steering fluid/brake fluid. And be prepared to spend the night with no gas, so have things like blankets, towels, jackets etc. stuffed somewhere. I have been stuck more than once where I've had to wait until daylight to walk out.

Of course that was before cell phones...

Darkfire 05-07-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckey73 (Post 3727703)

Of course that was before cell phones...

And always remember " if it has batteries, wheels or Tits it will let you Down"

And of course " if it flys fucks or floats its better to rent it then own it" ;-)

Jt_Ripper 05-07-2013 11:45 PM

i also forgot to mention.. me and the lady take protection out on the trail... and i dont mean a condom!

if you break down.. you may need to HUNT or Protect youtself..

we take 9mm and 40 cal just in case

Scampers 05-08-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jt_Ripper (Post 3732040)
i also forgot to mention.. me and the lady take protection out on the trail... and i dont mean a condom!

if you break down.. you may need to HUNT or Protect youtself..

we take 9mm and 40 cal just in case

:thumb:

NMBruce 05-28-2013 08:36 PM

Ordered the CB, now I need to find an antenna and a mounting point, thinking of the license plate holder or a mount by the spare.

Big-T 05-28-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMBruce (Post 3802090)
Ordered the CB, now I need to find an antenna and a mounting point, thinking of the license plate holder or a mount by the spare.

If you get a chance check these guys out for a simple easy complete set up.

link: Cool Tech LLC. CB All-in-One Kit. look at the versa mount for your mike, kinda cool.

Darkfire 05-28-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMBruce (Post 3802090)

I'd go spare tire. Remember 3/4 of the antenna needs to be above the top of the vehicle

Jt_Ripper 05-28-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big-T (Post 3802382)
If you get a chance check these guys out for a simple easy complete set up.

link: Cool Tech LLC. CB All-in-One Kit. look at the versa mount for your mike, kinda cool.

thats what i went with. love it.. 4 foot or longer antenna.

mckey73 05-29-2013 01:30 AM

If you're gonna mount it on the rear I'd recommend a Non-Ground Plane (NGP) antenna. Since the top is either fiberglass, fabric or not there there really isn't a reflective surface for a 'normal' antenna. If you go on this website they have some very good information, you kinda have to search around a bit.

You gonna be at TP next wednesday?

NMBruce 05-29-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckey73 (Post 3803106)
If you're gonna mount it on the rear I'd recommend a Non-Ground Plane (NGP) antenna. Since the top is either fiberglass, fabric or not there there really isn't a reflective surface for a 'normal' antenna. If you go on this website they have some very good information, you kinda have to search around a bit.

You gonna be at TP next wednesday?

yes, I am planning on being there around 5:30-6

Enemy 05-30-2013 01:05 PM

flashlight, knife

NMBruce 06-12-2013 10:26 PM

How about some information about fire extinguisher

what's a good roll bar mount?
Smittybilt 769540 - Smittybilt 2.5lb. Fire Extinguisher Holder - Quadratec
http://www.allthingsjeep.com/ekm33103.html

what size & type of fire extinguisher?
thinking 2.5lbs?

Commandocon 06-13-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMBruce (Post 3855433)
How about some information about fire extinguisher

what's a good roll bar mount?

what size & type of fire extinguisher?
thinking 2.5lbs?

2.5 is most common and what I use, I also use this mount, it is metal, more durable, no rattle, harder to steal if you are away and the top is off, and if you want u can weld the base to the bar, I just use clamps, I used a soft mount like those for my maglight and it is in shambles just from the years of offroading and the Velcro gives up after awhile.

RPS Quick Release Fire Extinguisher Mount

NMBruce 06-16-2013 12:27 AM

Something I learned from my Puerco Trip today, is that I think I will be putting on a 2-2.5" lift. The Rubicon is very capable, but there are still trips, adventures, expeditions that I am guessing that a stock Rubicon will need a lift.

Darkfire 06-16-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMBruce (Post 3865135)
Something I learned from my Puerco Trip today, is that I think I will be putting on a 2-2.5" lift. The Rubicon is very capable, but there are still trips, adventures, expeditions that I am guessing that a stock Rubicon will need a lift.

:thumb: Metal cloak:whistling:

Commandocon 06-16-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMBruce (Post 3865135)

All I run is a 3" lift, I thought about more but so far so good, how is your front bumper?

NMBruce 06-16-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commandocon (Post 3865601)
All I run is a 3" lift, I thought about more but so far so good, how is your front bumper?

a little scratched, but she'll live :)

callbob 06-16-2013 09:05 AM

fun day yesterday. Good times, good company. Potential disaster averted because of right tools and capable people. One key thing and I think Paul said it later, was let ONE person do the directing. Less confusion. Good job Paul btw. I have pics and will put up later but the videos are killer. Good job guys and NMBruce put up some great shots as well. Nice having you join us and hope you had a good time even though JT was pretty mild this trip. lol
Those Rubi's are awesome machines from built like Pauls and a little more mild like Tim's to stock like Bruce. Pretty impressive.

Jt_Ripper 06-16-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by callbob (Post 3865749)
fun day yesterday. Good times, good company. Potential disaster averted because of right tools and capable people. One key thing and I think Paul said it later, was let ONE person do the directing. Less confusion. Good job Paul btw. I have pics and will put up later but the videos are killer. Good job guys and NMBruce put up some great shots as well. Nice having you join us and hope you had a good time even though JT was pretty mild this trip. lol
Those Rubi's are awesome machines from built like Pauls and a little more mild like Tim's to stock like Bruce. Pretty impressive.

hey its hard work being crazy!!!!

lol i did learn from paul.. A LOT! thanks for all the tips and info.. the one thing paul said that stuck was " once you go up it you get confidence and it gets easier"

thats why i tried to follow him.. damn street tires!!!

ya was a good time totally! look forward to more

Commandocon 06-17-2013 03:27 PM

Thanks for the kind words, I've been lucky myself and learned a lot from fellow wheelers like yourself over the past decade of Jeepin. I always say I had a winch on my TJ for 7 years and never used it on my own Jeep but did use it plenty on helping others and that is what it comes down to in our Jeep community. Bobs having a winch and allowing us to use it moved up my winch purchase time. : )