Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Colorado Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/)
-   -   May 19th Family Run (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/may-19th-family-run-240590.html)

Gellato 05-06-2013 11:37 AM

May 19th Family Run

Starting new thread based on Oberst Hajj's suggestion on the Family thread:

"But we really want to get out there with other families. I was actually looking to plan a trip for Sunday the 19th. Do 3-4 of easy trails on a loop from Castle Rock to either Monument or Woodland Park (if the Parker/Denver groups were up for that distance), all off of Rampart Range Rd."

Looking for suggestions on route and meeting place. I'm thinking starting at Darkan Rd and ending at Mt. Herman or the other way around. This gives several side trail options between.

Thoughts?

JoshCOS 05-06-2013 09:53 PM

That day works. Never wandered Dakan Road, and was last up Mt Herman Rd/Rampart/Balanced Rock Rd area in December when there was snow. I'll try to look up some other locations too; traildamage.com hasn't been working for me lately though. Weird.
Certainly hoping for topless weather. Should be able to meet at 9ish, wherever we go.

MajorChuck 05-06-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshCOS (Post 3727333)
That day works. Never wandered Dakan Road, and was last up Mt Herman Rd/Rampart/Balanced Rock Rd area in December when there was snow. I'll try to look up some other locations too; traildamage.com hasn't been working for me lately though. Weird.
Certainly hoping for topless weather. Should be able to meet at 9ish, wherever we go.

Regarding TrailDamage you may find this thread helpful: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/tra...wn-236387.html

JoshCOS 05-07-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorChuck (Post 3727686)
Regarding TrailDamage you may find this thread helpful: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/tra...wn-236387.html

Found a fix in that thread, thank you sir.

Nogaro 05-07-2013 09:05 PM

I ran across this forum section and this sounds like fun. Timing lines up nice, I will be able to make this run with my son in tow. I am a noob when it comes to jeeps and offroad, so am looking forward to as many runs as I can get in this summer and learning from the experienced jeepers.

Have mostly a stock rubi...suspension will be stock for this run as I won't have time prior to to install the lift sitting on my dining room floor on by then.

Gellato 05-07-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nogaro (Post 3731356)
I ran across this forum section and this sounds like fun. Timing lines up nice, I will be able to make this run with my son in tow. I am a noob when it comes to jeeps and offroad, so am looking forward to as many runs as I can get in this summer and learning from the experienced jeepers.

Have mostly a stock rubi...suspension will be stock for this run as I won't have time prior to to install the lift sitting on my dining room floor on by then.

Several of us are new to Jeeping but want to get out with the family. This trip would be more scenery and less extreme crawling. Your stock rubi will do great.

Gellato 05-08-2013 12:44 PM

Disclaimer: I am new to owning a Jeep and I have not run any of these trails yet.

I did some research between TrailDamage.com, the Wells books, and Google and came up with the following route:
E Wolfensberger Rd to Mt Herman Rd - Google Maps

This will run the following trails in order:
Dakan Rd (3-4)
Long Hollow (2)
Hotel Gulch (1-2)
8 miles of Rampart Range (1)
Mt. Herman (2)

Looks like it is 3-4 hrs on the trail plus stops/lunch.

We could also add in Illinois Gulch to do Moab Hill if we want a fun obstacle.

MajorChuck 05-08-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshCOS (Post 3730303)
Found a fix in that thread, thank you sir.

You're very welcome!

JoshCOS 05-08-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gellato (Post 3733707)
Disclaimer: I am new to owning a Jeep and I have not run any of these trails yet.

I did some research between TrailDamage.com, the Wells books, and Google and came up with the following route:

Dakan Rd (3-4)
Long Hollow (2)
Hotel Gulch (1-2)
Mt. Herman (2)

What time you thinking? I'll catch up at Dakan Rd and Perry Park, and plan on being there 20-30 minutes after you think you'll leave Wolfensberger.

Oberst Hajj 05-08-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gellato (Post 3733707)

Dakan Rd (3-4)
Long Hollow (2)
Hotel Gulch (1-2)
Mt. Herman (2)

This sound good to me and fits the "time on trail" we were looking for.

Meet up at 0900?

Gellato 05-08-2013 08:50 PM

9:00 AM is perfect. The link to the map shows the starting point at the McDonald's at Wolfensberger and Park in Castle Rock. Should be a good meeting spot.

Gellato 05-08-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshCOS (Post 3734707)

What time you thinking? I'll catch up at Dakan Rd and Perry Park, and plan on being there 20-30 minutes after you think you'll leave Wolfensberger.

9:00 in Castle Rock. Should be about 20-25 minutes to the start of Dakan.

SETI1x 05-10-2013 04:43 PM

Hey guys, wife has to work but will you allow a "lone wolf" to tag along?

JoshCOS 05-10-2013 07:57 PM

Of course, will be great to meet you!

Oberst Hajj 05-10-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SETI1x (Post 3742283)
Hey guys, wife has to work but will you allow a "lone wolf" to tag along?

You bet man!

SETI1x 05-11-2013 08:01 AM

Great, I look forward to meeting you guys too. 19th, 9am, Castle Rock Mcd's.
Oberst, glad to see you made the JK purchase.

Oberst Hajj 05-11-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SETI1x (Post 3743979)
Oberst, glad to see you made the JK purchase.

Yeah, we are happy with the purchase as well. The wife actually asked if we could go Jeep'n for Mother's Day... :dance:

SETI1x 05-11-2013 01:07 PM

Lucky you!

Jeep65 05-14-2013 03:13 PM

Do you all mind if another newbie tags along for this ride? I'll have my 6yr. old and 19yr. daughters with me.

Gellato 05-14-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep65 (Post 3755445)
Do you all mind if another newbie tags along for this ride? I'll have my 6yr. old and 19yr. daughters with me.

Don't mind at all. This run is to get the families out.:thumb:

Jeep65 05-14-2013 03:58 PM

great, i'll see everyone at mcdonalds at 9am on the 19th

SETI1x 05-15-2013 08:01 AM

And if anyone else wants to come along but you have no room for them in your Jeep, I have an Unlimited and I'm coming alone. Would be happy to accomodate.
Steve

SETI1x 05-15-2013 08:05 AM

And if anyone from the Springs is going, we can meet on the North end and convoy up to Castle rock. Meet around 8am at Mcd's on N. Academy by the AFA.? Let me know and I'll wait, if I don't hear from anyone then I'll just meet everyone at the Castle Rock Mcd's at 9am on Sunday.

Jeep65 05-15-2013 08:39 AM

Just and FYI - right before point 'E' on the provided trail map there is a parking lot with bathrooms for those who are traveling with kids or with someone who has a small bladder :rolleyes:

meschwenk 05-15-2013 09:50 AM

My wife and I and our two son's (13 & 14) would like to join in on the fun. We are also new to this. We only have a couple of trails under our belts.

Oberst Hajj 05-15-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SETI1x (Post 3757124)
And if anyone from the Springs is going, we can meet on the North end and convoy up to Castle rock. Meet around 8am at Mcd's on N. Academy by the AFA.? Let me know and I'll wait, if I don't hear from anyone then I'll just meet everyone at the Castle Rock Mcd's at 9am on Sunday.

Me and my crew will meet you there and convoy with ya.

Quote:

Originally Posted by meschwenk (Post 3757464)
My wife and I and our two son's (13 & 14) would like to join in on the fun. We are also new to this. We only have a couple of trails under our belts.

Sounds great. We've only managed to get the new Jeep into the mountains twice now, so we are in the same boat!

Oberst Hajj 05-15-2013 09:55 AM

Since I've not done any of the trails on this list, is there a good spot for us to all pull off and have lunch? Would be nice if the kids could get out and run around a bit and get to know each other.

meschwenk 05-15-2013 10:06 AM

We will be at the Castle Rock McDonald's @ 9:00 am.

JoshCOS 05-15-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SETI1x (Post 3757124)

I'll plan on joining the convoy as well, see you at 8 at McD's.

Gellato 05-15-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep65 (Post 3757209)
Just and FYI - right before point 'E' on the provided trail map there is a parking lot with bathrooms for those who are traveling with kids or with someone who has a small bladder :rolleyes:

Good to know. :thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj (Post 3757478)
Since I've not done any of the trails on this list, is there a good spot for us to all pull off and have lunch? Would be nice if the kids could get out and run around a bit and get to know each other.

Looks like parking area before point E might be the first place. Bathrooms and lots of room to run around. I'm sure people will want to air down around point B and air up before going home, so there will be time at those locations as well.