Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Space between JKU rear seat and Tuffy trunk enclosure (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/space-between-jku-rear-seat-and-tuffy-trunk-enclosure-240619.html)

panthermark 05-06-2013 02:04 PM

Space between JKU rear seat and Tuffy trunk enclosure

So I finally got my soft top on....love it (even if I have to go back and re-install the side windows). Can't say enough about the flexibility of the soft top and the spiderwebshade.

Anyway, I have a question. For those with the Tuffy trunk enclosures, have you managed to do anything with the wasted space between the rear seat and the enclosure? I could not get my freedom panels to fit there, but I'm wondering if anyone has managed to get somthing useful there? Right now I've stashed my fire extinguisher, rope, atlas, and roadside kit in that spot...but I would love it if somehow for instance the rear softtop window (or all three windows) could be easily hung there.

Ideas?
Thanks

panthermark 05-06-2013 02:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 245880

Attachment 245883

Attachment 245882

Beastmaster 05-06-2013 02:29 PM

I like this idea, so far, for various reasons, I've been installing and removing the front piece to have more cargo area. I wonder if one of those MOLE tailgate things would work there.

18usc371 05-06-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 3725415)
Right now I've stashed my fire extinguisher, rope, atlas, and roadside kit in that spot...

I run the Tuffy box and a bikini top in the summer. I stash a nylon half-Jeep cover, old towels (in the event of rain and bikini-only, just to wipe things down), some bungee cords. I don't store anything I would mind being stolen, like the stuff you list. That's just the kind of little, but important stuff, theives of opportunity pluck.

panthermark 05-06-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beastmaster (Post 3725506)
I like this idea, so far, for various reasons, I've been installing and removing the front piece to have more cargo area. I wonder if one of those MOLE tailgate things would work there.

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

The one thing that I didn't like about it was the inability to store my freedom panels without having to squeeze them in and slam the door on them (thus rubbing away the paint.

It never occoured to me to remove that front panel.

It might be time to glue some velcro straps to to that panel...or see if the rear window can simply hang there.

woansleftpeg 05-06-2013 03:56 PM

If you remove the front panel doesn't that mean that someone can access the stuff in your trunk by just folding the rear seats forward?

panthermark 05-06-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woansleftpeg (Post 3725861)
If you remove the front panel doesn't that mean that someone can access the stuff in your trunk by just folding the rear seats forward?

Yup....
I would not do it if I had something back there that i was worried about. This would be for special occasions when the hard top was on, but I wanted the freedom panels off, and I had people in the rear seats (where I usually put them when I'm by myself...but there will be a car seat back there soon.)

Right now the soft top is on, and the freedom panels are sitting on the roof of the hard top in the garage.

socal_rubi 05-06-2013 05:04 PM

I bought some felt fabric at a local fabric store, cut it into two pieces, and I use it to roll up my soft top windows. It's a DIY window roll, like the ones you can buy, but it only cost me $5. I use two nylon straps to keep it rolled up. It fits perfect between the tuffy bulkhead and the rear seat. I also keep the tailgate bar and rear window clips back there. Makes it easy to put the windows back in, no matter where I am.

There's still plenty of room back there even with the window roll. I sometimes stick my CB antenna back there.

Y-Guy 05-06-2013 05:22 PM

panthermark, maybe you can answer a question for me. I'm looking at tilting the rear seats back a bit so they are a bit more comfortable. I can see the space in the lower part of the seat, is there any space from the back of the seat to the front panel or are they pretty much butted together? If there is any space, any idea how much there is?

Thanks!

panthermark 05-06-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Guy (Post 3726203)
panthermark, maybe you can answer a question for me. I'm looking at tilting the rear seats back a bit so they are a bit more comfortable. I can see the space in the lower part of the seat, is there any space from the back of the seat to the front panel or are they pretty much butted together? If there is any space, any idea how much there is?

Thanks!

I'll look tonight, but I think there may only be 2 or so inches at the top. Of course, being able to tilt the seat back even two inches would make it soooo much better.

Y-Guy 05-06-2013 07:06 PM

Thanks, that is a big help/relief. I can't do the Tuffy box this summer but gives hope that maybe I can keep the seats modified when/if I get a Tuffy.

SBL 05-06-2013 07:49 PM

I have been trying to come up with ideas for this area since I installed the Tuffy. Emergency top, rope and such so far but will come up with something a little more substantial when I figure out what I want to put back there.

panthermark 05-06-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Guy (Post 3726586)
Thanks, that is a big help/relief. I can't do the Tuffy box this summer but gives hope that maybe I can keep the seats modified when/if I get a Tuffy.

About 3 inches at the top on mine. But I do wonder if people install them differently.

It almost reminds me of the space behind mini pick-ups.

Y-Guy 05-06-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 3727398)
About 3 inches at the top on mine.

Sweet that's better then I'd hoped for! Thanks for checking.

panthermark 05-07-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Guy (Post 3727623)
Sweet that's better then I'd hoped for! Thanks for checking.

I measured again this morning....in the light. It is just under 2 inches...sorry. There are two levels, and the 2nd level is closer than the first.

ccolburn 05-07-2013 08:14 AM

I just put my side windows back there and they stay no problem even on the highway.

Y-Guy 05-07-2013 09:43 AM

Thanks again for measuring again, I'll see how far the seats go back based on some of the methods here, should give me some idea if 2" will be enough - but anything is better then the way they are right now.