Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Bilstein 5100's VS RS9000's (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/bilstein-5100s-vs-rs9000s-240704.html)

troy b 05-06-2013 03:28 PM

Bilstein 5100's VS RS9000's

OK, about to order my Teraflex 2.5" coli lift, but am curious on which shock will give me a better ride. I see the Bilstein's are a favorite on here, but I am curious how much more will the adjustability of the 9000's help out. I live in Louisiana and many roads here do leave a lot to be desired. I do travel 2 hours to work, once every 2 weeks.
Thanks guys! :thumb:

Seeuoffroad 05-06-2013 03:35 PM

Can't speak on the Bilstein. I have the RS9000
I really like that they are adjustable. My ride quality on road is just as important as off road. And I believe I got the best of both worlds. So glad I went with these!!!

the Kolector 05-06-2013 03:40 PM

I am interested as well and have been looking at both. Can't wait to read some replies.

Crushed 05-06-2013 03:44 PM

The Ranco 9000XL is great for onroad driving. Love them. Have them set at 5 Front and 4 Rear. Rides so much better on the road compared to stock.

the Kolector 05-06-2013 03:53 PM

I think most anything would ride better than stock.

JOCJK 05-06-2013 03:55 PM

I've got the Bilstein's on a 2.5 RK lift. I was prepared for the harsh ride but wow it is harsher than expected. I'm kinda kicking myself for not going with the Rancho Adjustables.... Haven't gotten it off road since the lift and shocks, since its been snowing for the last 2 months, so I don't have any experience with their performance there yet.

OffRoadCam09 05-06-2013 04:06 PM

I have blistein 5100's an they ride smooth as can be. Stiffen up over bumps an offroad but ride smooth on the road.

WhiskeyMike 05-06-2013 04:19 PM

I have the Ranchos /w TF 2.5 and love them. I've never had the bill steins so I can't compare first hand. The ride of the Ranchos is great off/on road. I,m very happy with my purchase of both RS and TF lift and would purchase the same next time.

jcrawler93 05-06-2013 04:20 PM

Bilstein is the best when it comes to shocks !

chuckr 05-06-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOCJK (Post 3725858)
I've got the Bilstein's on a 2.5 RK lift. I was prepared for the harsh ride but wow it is harsher than expected. I'm kinda kicking myself for not going with the Rancho Adjustables.... Haven't gotten it off road since the lift and shocks, since its been snowing for the last 2 months, so I don't have any experience with their performance there yet.

I have the Bilstein's on my 2.5" RK lift and I'd say it less harsh than expected....I've even had co-workers that aren't jeepers ride in mine and comment on how much smoother it is than they expected.....maybe the weight of other aftermarket mods has something to do with it?
I haven't gotten off road yet either...

ohioviper 05-06-2013 04:26 PM

Ne question the Ranchos adjust-ability can not be beat for the price range.
With the non adjustable shocks what you get is what you get. With the Ranchos if you feel its to sitff just crank them down some. Offroad feel like you need more crank them up.

fireguy 05-06-2013 04:27 PM

Rock Krawler 2.5" lift with 5100 Bilsteins and a Bilstein Steering Damper. The ride to me is an improvement and much more to my liking over the stock set up. It is firm, responsive and no harsh ride. The stock setup was to soft and had a light feel to it. The tires on my JKU now are a D range tire and even at 29 psi are firmer over bumps than the OEM passenger car rated Goodyears. I feel the hard ride encountered by some may come from the tires and higher air pressure in the tires. In my case Discount had my Duratrac tires at 36 or 38 psi, dropping it down to 29 made a huge difference. I have Rancho Shocks on our 04 Rubicon and they were decent when new and are still doing a good job 40,000 miles and 8 years later.

Riccochet 05-06-2013 06:22 PM

I have the TF 2.5 with Bilstein 5100's. Love the ride.

Wrangler010 05-06-2013 06:59 PM

i have the TF 2.5 lift, just ordered the skyjacker m95 monotube shocks. they havent arrived yet so i cant speak to how the ride is, but they were definitely cheaper then the 5100s..... i found nothing but great reviews on them. i didnt want anything adjustable such as the rancho 9000s although im sure they're a great shock as well..... the TF lift has been awesome :-)

4DoorCrush 05-06-2013 07:42 PM

90000s all the way

gsn 05-06-2013 08:35 PM

These bilsteins need more body weight to go smooth. Too much unsprung weight and a jeep with only a few trinkets will probably ride stiff and do the harlem shake over an imperfect road. Mine does :(, if I pack the wrangler with a bunch of weight and put 5 people on it, It rides much smoother. More weight on top makes the shock yield more.

I will probably buy some ranchos to see what the hype is about with being adjustable and all.

JOCJK 05-06-2013 11:38 PM

I should've been a little more specific. The ride on road overall is fine. Speed bumps, pot holes etc shake the shit out of the jeep now more than it did with leveling kit and rubi shocks. It doesn't feel like the bilstiens dampen drastic impacts as well. I'm hoping when I get it Offroad ill notice the benefits.

In terms if weight, I have a stubby RR front bumper with warn XD9000i winch and a 33 on stock rear bumper/tire carrier.

SilverSport 05-06-2013 11:42 PM

My experience with 5100s is firmer ride with less nose dive and body roll. Rides more like a truck.

kjeeper10 05-07-2013 04:54 AM

Just stopping in to say hi........ Hi

Rancho 05-07-2013 01:31 PM

RS999329XL front
RS999330XL rear

Performance Guarantee and 90-Day Risk-Free Ride Offer
We challenge you to try our Rancho® RS9000XL™ Shock Absorbers or our Rancho® RS7000MT™ Monotube Shock Absorbers risk-free for 90 days - if these products* don't meet the challenge, call us for your money back.

Try qualifying Rancho® products* for 90 days. We guarantee you'll experience the Rancho® performance difference! If, for any reason, the qualifying products* don't live up to your expectations within the first 90 days, return the products and we will refund your original product's purchase price (which shall not exceed the manufacturer’s suggested retail price), plus labor (not to exceed $50 per pair). We're that confident you will be satisfied with Rancho® RS9000XL™ shock absorbers! For questions about this offer, please contact our customer service department at 734-384-7898.

*Offer limited to the purchase of four (4) RS9000XL™ shock absorbers. This offer does not include products which have been modified, improperly applied or installed on vehicles used for commercial or racing purposes. Offer valid only in North America and Canada on vehicles used for private, non-commercial use and may be withdrawn at any time.

HK_Runner 05-07-2013 01:34 PM

I'd go with the Ranchos. I prefer a more compliant ride. The adjustability is a bonus. This guarantee is fantastic too.

jmartinb 05-07-2013 01:50 PM

Definitely Ranchos. Had them on three different SUV's and now the Jeep. Love the adjustable ride feature.

DragonWarrior 06-12-2013 11:44 AM

Confident...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rancho (Post 3729630)
RS999329XL front
RS999330XL rear

Performance Guarantee and 90-Day Risk-Free Ride Offer
We challenge you to try our Rancho® RS9000XL™ Shock Absorbers or our Rancho® RS7000MT™ Monotube Shock Absorbers risk-free for 90 days - if these products* don't meet the challenge, call us for your money back.

Try qualifying Rancho® products* for 90 days. We guarantee you'll experience the Rancho® performance difference! If, for any reason, the qualifying products* don't live up to your expectations within the first 90 days, return the products and we will refund your original product's purchase price (which shall not exceed the manufacturer’s suggested retail price), plus labor (not to exceed $50 per pair). We're that confident you will be satisfied with Rancho® RS9000XL™ shock absorbers! For questions about this offer, please contact our customer service department at 734-384-7898.

*Offer limited to the purchase of four (4) RS9000XL™ shock absorbers. This offer does not include products which have been modified, improperly applied or installed on vehicles used for commercial or racing purposes. Offer valid only in North America and Canada on vehicles used for private, non-commercial use and may be withdrawn at any time.

Wow, can't beat that confidence.

HK_Runner 06-12-2013 12:13 PM

Been running the 5100s since I returned the RK RRDs. The 5100s are a significant improvement, though they are a firm shock. However, the damping is good, as is the rebound...far better valved than the RRD. I don;t know about the Fox shocks but I am willing to bet that the compression is too stiff for me.

Back to the 5100s- I like them as long as I keep my tires at 24 psi. The tires (35" MTR Kevlars) are a bit stiff still and should be broken in over the next couple of weekend offroad. The shocks may break in too...they are less than two weeks old. Running the tires for a few hours at 10 PSI will do the trick. Then I will raise it to maybe 26/27. It this point if I wanted a softer shocks, I'd try the Old Man Emu Nitrochargers (not Sports) first and Ranchos next. However, I am going to keep the 5100s.

Silverton34 06-12-2013 12:20 PM

Three sets of Bilsteins now on three different JKs. They seem a little stiff at first but the break-in seems to be 500 miles or 100 miles in Moab for the last set. The ride is perfect after break-in, don't form your opinion before then if you buy them.

Rancho 06-12-2013 12:26 PM

It took me a bit to get used to our monotube shock after having 9000's on our JK's for a long time (set at 3-4). The difference between a high pressure shock (monotube) and a shock with a lower charge is quite different. I am now on my personal JK running our RS7000MT monotube. Our 90 day guarantee also applies to this shock.... :)

HK_Runner 06-12-2013 04:09 PM

So what is the difference in ride between the 9000 and RS7000MT? How is the compression and rebound different? I think Bilstein valves 5100s well for the JK/JKU but not sure how your valving compares to your valving or ride feel. I think the 5160s are a bit stiffer but the 5100s may be the most popular shock on lifted JKs and Toyotas, along with Old Man Emu.

Rancho 06-12-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HK_Runner (Post 3853864)
So what is the difference in ride between the 9000 and RS7000MT? How is the compression and rebound different? I think Bilstein valves 5100s well for the JK/JKU but not sure how your valving compares to your valving or ride feel. I think the 5160s are a bit stiffer but the 5100s may be the most popular shock on lifted JKs and Toyotas, along with Old Man Emu.

9000 with the adjustabilty will either be soft or firm depending on where you want to set them, this is accomplished by a screw that controls the oil. The overall body and rod are bigger on the 9000 as well. Often times with a twin tube design of a shock ( what many/most shocks are) you will get "fade" over long uses of time.

The 7000 is is a firmer/responsive ride. With the high pressure nitrogen charge it has a quicker damping response. They shine on roads like a fire road that is rutted out for a long period. In general we have more valving for more applications than other players out there (not counting custom valving/pressure that can be accomplished via a CO or the like), think we have it valved for the Ford, Chevy and Dodge 1/2 tons not for a general application. We are constantly working on our valving as well.

Hope this helps.

I am trying to get a sheet we have that shows these differences too. Hopefully get that soon.

HK_Runner 06-12-2013 04:35 PM

This is definitely helpful and we can frame the shock's action to the desired terrain and ride feel. I do have twisty washboard fireroads that can be pretty dangerous since most have a huge drop on one side. However, most of my offroading is done on slower trails. The 5100s are a good compromise, but I am always looking for significant improvements off road and on pavement.

kjeeper10 06-12-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HK_Runner (Post 3729635)
I'd go with the Ranchos. I prefer a more compliant ride. The adjustability is a bonus. This guarantee is fantastic too.

X2

Never really gave the 5100's a chance. spine shockingly harsh IMO. The 9000's I ran for about a year were a great shock.
The Fox shocks I have now seem more responsive but firmer. Not for everybody but my jeep is not my DD no more.
For DD and weekend warrior, I would go with the 9000's again without thought.