Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Pics Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f370/)
-   -   Hello ,outsider checking in (lots of pics) (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f370/hello-outsider-checking-in-lots-of-pics-24071.html)

Dana Strong 12-15-2008 08:48 PM

Hello ,outsider checking in (lots of pics)
 
Hello everyone, I'm an outsider here with a little project I'm working on.
I'm from Northfeild Minnesota and am 27. I own a 96 Chevy S10 Chevy Blazer with YJ axles under it.

Here is the Blazer before I tore it all apart.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...4/HPIM0519.jpg
Started getting tired of replacing ball joints and pitman idler arms and lift kits starting at $1,500, so out with the IFS
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...4/HPIM0818.jpg
Picked up some YJ axles with 4:10 gears from the local wrecking yard
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...4/HPIM0816.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...4/HPIM0817.jpg

Got the dana 30 mounted in the Blazer and did a shackle move to the rear
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...4/HPIM0846.jpg

I hope we can put some of our differnces aside as I look forward to making some new friends and learning as much as I can about my new axles and how to get the most out of them. Can't wait to get educated :D

Thank you for looking, Chuck

orange05tj 12-15-2008 08:55 PM

cool. welcome to the forum. Thats a different idea. I guess they call you Chuck who dont give a f*#k. just playing. Have fun lurking around.

jpdocdave 12-15-2008 09:09 PM

nice pics man, gettin a real suspension under there, nice.

Dana Strong 12-15-2008 09:16 PM

Thanks guys, Yeah solid axle is the only way to go if your going off road ! Of course everyone here already knows that lol

87YJWrangler 12-16-2008 02:57 PM

:blunt:Yeah we do already know that and well I like my IFS and SRS on my pathfinder but it also weighed ALOT more and didnt manuver as well

Dana Strong 12-22-2008 02:49 PM

Ok getting ready to do the SOA conversion, any tips or suggestions on how to sey up my pinon angle guys ?

I will also be using a standard front and rear driveshaft set up unless you guys think a CV style would be much better?

Also check out my warrior products perches for my rear axle
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...4/HPIM0850.jpg
there is alot of slop on the outsides and they told me they all do that anyone confirm this ??
They told me they only make this one style of perch, is it ok ??

Thanks again !

Coyote_94YJ 12-22-2008 04:41 PM

Uhh. Who ever told you that was wrong. I get mine in various sizes depending on the axle tube diameter. You want ones for 2.5" tube. You could make those work but your gonna have to fill that gap with weld.

Felsengleiskette 12-23-2008 12:13 AM

curious why you went with the dana 30/35? on a vehicle heavier than a jeep? definatly pack spare axle shafts. everyone here throws those away...for my two cents i say: get your build built, wheel it while building a stronger combo. at least some 44's. and based on that decide on the s.y.e, cuz you might be ordering an eliminator for the stronger combo, so wheel this axle combo w/ the slip yoke.

distortedtj 12-23-2008 12:20 AM

^^^ to ad to that. You can use a ford 8.8 . It will have the same 5 on 4.5 as the D30.

You can pick them up at junkyard for $250 for most with 4.10's and a lsd in them.

Also take the spring perches back and tell them they are on crack! Coyote is right you can get them in any size and the D30 uses the 2.5' tube.

D35's are notorious for braking.

Good luck with your build and keep us updated.

Dana Strong 12-31-2008 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by distortedtj (Post 296616)
^^^ to ad to that. You can use a ford 8.8 . It will have the same 5 on 4.5 as the D30.

You can pick them up at junkyard for $250 for most with 4.10's and a lsd in them.

Also take the spring perches back and tell them they are on crack! Coyote is right you can get them in any size and the D30 uses the 2.5' tube.

D35's are notorious for braking.

Good luck with your build and keep us updated.


I'm a little intrested in the explorer axle for the rear...

I do have a couple of questions to those who know about them.

1) what years are the good ones ?

2) what and where are the vin's on the explorer so I can figure out what it is at the junkyard ?

3) what is the track width of that rear axle ?

Thats it for know and thank you very much for the advice and input :D

Felsengleiskette 12-31-2008 04:54 PM

mid 90's explorers have disc rear brakes, so thats an upgrade right from the scrap yard. axle width may be a half inch wider on both sides than the D35 (you wont notice) this axle alot of guys use in here, and im planning on the same. you will have to weld new perches and everything obviuosly but it sounds like your doing that stuff anyway. if you got time i say craigslist the D35 outta here, and get the 8.8 the D30----im not to worried about for now. but we think the D35's are turds. BUT, your doing a killer job. i just want you to be as happy w/ your setup as possible. hey wheel the 35 till it breaks...

jpdocdave 12-31-2008 05:00 PM

i'm glad this came back up, i was lookin for this thread. i got a buddy that finally got a new vehicle, so his 91 s 10 blazer is getting my old dana 30, and leaf springs, we're gonna make it a fun little wheeler.

keep us updated on your progress. anything you wanna tell me about putting the d30 up front. so you are gonna run both axles soa right? how did your gear box/pitman arm fit onto the steering?

i'm thinking of moving the front axle up when we do it, anyone got any input on this.

distortedtj 12-31-2008 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felsengleiskette (Post 301207)
mid 90's explorers have disc rear brakes, so thats an upgrade right from the scrap yard. axle width may be a half inch NARROWER on both sides than the D35 (you wont notice) this axle alot of guys use in here, and im planning on the same. you will have to weld new perches and everything obviuosly but it sounds like your doing that stuff anyway. if you got time i say craigslist the D35 outta here, and get the 8.8 the D30----im not to worried about for now. but we think the D35's are turds. BUT, your doing a killer job. i just want you to be as happy w/ your setup as possible. hey wheel the 35 till it breaks...

fixed...;)

jpdocdave 12-31-2008 05:03 PM

i thought the 8.8 was a hair wider also. i'm not 100% though, so if you are let us know for sure.

Dana Strong 12-31-2008 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpdocdave (Post 301215)
i'm glad this came back up, i was lookin for this thread. i got a buddy that finally got a new vehicle, so his 91 s 10 blazer is getting my old dana 30, and leaf springs, we're gonna make it a fun little wheeler.

keep us updated on your progress. anything you wanna tell me about putting the d30 up front. so you are gonna run both axles soa right? how did your gear box/pitman arm fit onto the steering?

i'm thinking of moving the front axle up when we do it, anyone got any input on this.

Thanks , Yea the s10 pitman arm and stock jeep drag link from the d30 would have just bloted up , but after doing the SOA I'm gonna have to get a "drop" yj pitman arm and then get an aftermarket bracket to go on the top of the passanger side spindle to get a better angle out of it and to clear the leaf spring pack.

The bracket I speak of looks like this.... (not my truck)
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...g?t=1204577591

I have the front axle SOA done and will post pics later tonight...dumb camera is charging

Dana Strong 12-31-2008 07:15 PM

P.S. Info I found on the differences : go down a little on the page and they compare the d35 and 8.8 rear The Ford Explorer 8.8-Inch Rear Axles

Dana Strong 12-31-2008 07:22 PM

Jpdocdave , when you talk of moving the axle up you mean forward and lenghten the wheel base ?
If you do , thats what I did , I went with the rubicon express perches that have the different pin holes and moved the axle forward then drilled a hole on the backing plate for the center pin at the same off set. I would move forward with it on an s10 because the wheel wells are smaller and the tire is more prone to rub the fender then the front bumper. Not to mention its eaiser to trim the front bumper to heck instead of a fender.

just my $0.02

jpdocdave 12-31-2008 07:28 PM

awesome man, thats what i wanted to know. so you just used a bracket to move the axle forward? put up some more pics when you can.

Dana Strong 12-31-2008 09:17 PM

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...4/HPIM0934.jpg
SOA done on the front

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...4/HPIM0930.jpg

jpdocdave 12-31-2008 09:20 PM

so why the peice of box tubing across the front under the frame that the hangers are welded to? is it to offset frame angle or something?

Dana Strong 12-31-2008 09:38 PM

yeah
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...4/HPIM0849.jpg
If I had left that out the leaf spring pack would be low on the rear and high up front like this angle here / instead of more level _ . Also the where it mounts is just a bit off from the frame rails.

flattietj 12-31-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpdocdave (Post 301440)
so why the peice of box tubing across the front under the frame that the hangers are welded to? is it to offset frame angle or something?

west virginia lift kit baby

distortedtj 01-01-2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpdocdave (Post 301220)
i thought the 8.8 was a hair wider also. i'm not 100% though, so if you are let us know for sure.

Sorry dave haven't been back to this thread for awhile. Yes the 8.8 is a little narrower. D35 width is 60 1/2'' and the 8.8 width is 59 3/4''.

Per side you'll only be 3/8'' narrower.


EDIT....see I'm late again DANA posted a good link to it.

McIF82 01-02-2009 03:10 PM

What kind of paint did you use on those axles? I want to clean mine up like that in the spring.

87YJWrangler 01-02-2009 05:17 PM

I need to clean up my whole undercarage any way to refresh my under body. and does the Tcase skid hold that up too, like the fuel tank? cuz if it does Im leavin it alone Im sick of takin shit off that needed to hold shit up not knowing that it does

87YJWrangler 01-02-2009 05:26 PM

Also what power plant you plan on putting back in this thing?

distortedtj 01-02-2009 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87YJWrangler (Post 301997)
I need to clean up my whole undercarage any way to refresh my under body. and does the Tcase skid hold that up too, like the fuel tank? cuz if it does Im leavin it alone Im sick of takin shit off that needed to hold shit up not knowing that it does

Your t-case skid holds up the t-case/transmission. It works as it's cross member. If you look at the bottom/center of the skid you will see some bolt heads. Those are for the tranny mount.;)

87YJWrangler 01-02-2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by distortedtj (Post 302019)
Your t-case skid holds up the t-case/transmission. It works as it's cross member. If you look at the bottom/center of the skid you will see some bolt heads. Those are for the tranny mount.;)

Thanks for ruining my day man, lol just playin but thats gonna be a bitch to replace when I have to which I hope wont be for long time Im havin a hell of a time findin a fuel tank skid around here:banghead:

Dana Strong 01-04-2009 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McIF82 (Post 301965)
What kind of paint did you use on those axles? I want to clean mine up like that in the spring.


I just sandblasted them a bit and used spray paint,
Rustoleum primer and Rustoleum Black

Dana Strong 01-04-2009 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87YJWrangler (Post 302001)
Also what power plant you plan on putting back in this thing?


More than likely gonna put an LT1 in it, but I'm not 100% on that just yet :D

p.s. your location o-town... Owatonna ?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 PM.