Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Hello ,outsider checking in (lots of pics)

5K views 59 replies 12 participants last post by  Dana Strong 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm an outsider here with a little project I'm working on.
I'm from Northfeild Minnesota and am 27. I own a 96 Chevy S10 Chevy Blazer with YJ axles under it.

Here is the Blazer before I tore it all apart.

Started getting tired of replacing ball joints and pitman idler arms and lift kits starting at $1,500, so out with the IFS

Picked up some YJ axles with 4:10 gears from the local wrecking yard

Got the dana 30 mounted in the Blazer and did a shackle move to the rear

I hope we can put some of our differnces aside as I look forward to making some new friends and learning as much as I can about my new axles and how to get the most out of them. Can't wait to get educated :D

Thank you for looking, Chuck

See less See more
#5 ·
:blunt:Yeah we do already know that and well I like my IFS and SRS on my pathfinder but it also weighed ALOT more and didnt manuver as well

#6 ·
Ok getting ready to do the SOA conversion, any tips or suggestions on how to sey up my pinon angle guys ?

I will also be using a standard front and rear driveshaft set up unless you guys think a CV style would be much better?

Also check out my warrior products perches for my rear axle

there is alot of slop on the outsides and they told me they all do that anyone confirm this ??
They told me they only make this one style of perch, is it ok ??

Thanks again !

#8 ·
curious why you went with the dana 30/35? on a vehicle heavier than a jeep? definatly pack spare axle shafts. everyone here throws those away...for my two cents i say: get your build built, wheel it while building a stronger combo. at least some 44's. and based on that decide on the s.y.e, cuz you might be ordering an eliminator for the stronger combo, so wheel this axle combo w/ the slip yoke.

#9 ·
^^^ to ad to that. You can use a ford 8.8 . It will have the same 5 on 4.5 as the D30.

You can pick them up at junkyard for $250 for most with 4.10's and a lsd in them.

Also take the spring perches back and tell them they are on crack! Coyote is right you can get them in any size and the D30 uses the 2.5' tube.

D35's are notorious for braking.

Good luck with your build and keep us updated.

#10 ·
I'm a little intrested in the explorer axle for the rear...

I do have a couple of questions to those who know about them.

1) what years are the good ones ?

2) what and where are the vin's on the explorer so I can figure out what it is at the junkyard ?

3) what is the track width of that rear axle ?

Thats it for know and thank you very much for the advice and input :D

#11 ·
mid 90's explorers have disc rear brakes, so thats an upgrade right from the scrap yard. axle width may be a half inch wider on both sides than the D35 (you wont notice) this axle alot of guys use in here, and im planning on the same. you will have to weld new perches and everything obviuosly but it sounds like your doing that stuff anyway. if you got time i say craigslist the D35 outta here, and get the 8.8 the D30----im not to worried about for now. but we think the D35's are turds. BUT, your doing a killer job. i just want you to be as happy w/ your setup as possible. hey wheel the 35 till it breaks...

#13 ·
mid 90's explorers have disc rear brakes, so thats an upgrade right from the scrap yard. axle width may be a half inch NARROWER on both sides than the D35 (you wont notice) this axle alot of guys use in here, and im planning on the same. you will have to weld new perches and everything obviuosly but it sounds like your doing that stuff anyway. if you got time i say craigslist the D35 outta here, and get the 8.8 the D30----im not to worried about for now. but we think the D35's are turds. BUT, your doing a killer job. i just want you to be as happy w/ your setup as possible. hey wheel the 35 till it breaks...
fixed...;)

#12 ·
i'm glad this came back up, i was lookin for this thread. i got a buddy that finally got a new vehicle, so his 91 s 10 blazer is getting my old dana 30, and leaf springs, we're gonna make it a fun little wheeler.

keep us updated on your progress. anything you wanna tell me about putting the d30 up front. so you are gonna run both axles soa right? how did your gear box/pitman arm fit onto the steering?

i'm thinking of moving the front axle up when we do it, anyone got any input on this.

#15 ·
Thanks , Yea the s10 pitman arm and stock jeep drag link from the d30 would have just bloted up , but after doing the SOA I'm gonna have to get a "drop" yj pitman arm and then get an aftermarket bracket to go on the top of the passanger side spindle to get a better angle out of it and to clear the leaf spring pack.

The bracket I speak of looks like this.... (not my truck)

I have the front axle SOA done and will post pics later tonight...dumb camera is charging

#17 ·
Jpdocdave , when you talk of moving the axle up you mean forward and lenghten the wheel base ?
If you do , thats what I did , I went with the rubicon express perches that have the different pin holes and moved the axle forward then drilled a hole on the backing plate for the center pin at the same off set. I would move forward with it on an s10 because the wheel wells are smaller and the tire is more prone to rub the fender then the front bumper. Not to mention its eaiser to trim the front bumper to heck instead of a fender.

just my $0.02

#21 ·
yeah

If I had left that out the leaf spring pack would be low on the rear and high up front like this angle here / instead of more level _ . Also the where it mounts is just a bit off from the frame rails.

#25 ·
I need to clean up my whole undercarage any way to refresh my under body. and does the Tcase skid hold that up too, like the fuel tank? cuz if it does Im leavin it alone Im sick of takin shit off that needed to hold shit up not knowing that it does

#31 ·
I have to come around here more often, Thanks for the intrest everyone.

I do have a favor to ask thou.. Does anyone have an angle finder and if so could you check your front pinon angle for me? I beleve it is supposed to be at 6* and that it ends up with just a little bit of positive caster...

I have the rear D35 going in today as well I will post pics of that progress later today. I just wanna double check my front and rear pinon angles before I go welding the perches to the dang axle tubes.

I have also decided to swap out the D35 later down the road in favor of the 8.8 explorer rear, just because from what I've read it is a much better rear end.

On the front axle I am going to stay with the D30 and will being converting it to a one peice shaft and adding lockouts. Also I will be upgrading the U joints as well.

I guess that does it for now, Later Chuck

#36 ·
Alright just for fun and to show that I'm not slacking too much a few pics.
Remeber the D35 is just gonna go in so I have something to sit on and so I can keep building till I find an 8.8" with 4:10 and traction-lok.
Enjoy

thats all for now

#37 ·
Where you from? I see minnesota but thats it. How far from Owatonna?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.