Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   13 JKUR Auto 2nd gear stutter (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/13-jkur-auto-2nd-gear-stutter-240741.html)

Kiddmen57 05-06-2013 03:57 PM

13 JKUR Auto 2nd gear stutter

I've got less than 600 miles on my 13 JKUR with auto and 4:10 rear end, and less than 550 miles since the tranny line blew and dumped all the fluid (yes, that was at 43 miles). Since then I've noticed more and more a stutter around 2nd and 3rd gear during mild to moderate acceleration. I thought the tranny was skipping third for a couple days.

Today I decided to drive in sport mode. Shifting into 2nd it shift, RPMs drop, and then it "shifts again" or studders and the RPMs fall just a hair more if at all. So it is definitely a stutter in 2nd gear.

Has anyone else noticed this? I want to make sure this inst something these things do before I go back to the dealer again asking for a new transmission. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but it just doesn't seem right to me.

chris4x4 05-06-2013 06:08 PM

No shuttering here. dam near the same vehicle too, 2013 JKUR Billet silver, auto, and 4.10's.

kramer2k 05-06-2013 06:12 PM

Ditto. No stuttering or discernible tranny hesitations in my '13 JKUR auto with 4.10s.

GCDMD 05-06-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiddmen57 (Post 3725866)
I've got less than 600 miles on my 13 JKUR with auto and 4:10 rear end, and less than 550 miles since the tranny line blew and dumped all the fluid (yes, that was at 43 miles). Since then I've noticed more and more a stutter around 2nd and 3rd gear during mild to moderate acceleration. I thought the tranny was skipping third for a couple days.

Today I decided to drive in sport mode. Shifting into 2nd it shift, RPMs drop, and then it "shifts again" or studders and the RPMs fall just a hair more if at all. So it is definitely a stutter in 2nd gear.

Has anyone else noticed this? I want to make sure this inst something these things do before I go back to the dealer again asking for a new transmission. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but it just doesn't seem right to me.

Ran into the same issue. I think it is the torque converter lock up, but someone else with more transmission knowledge can jump in. To ease your concerns, mine does that 2nd gear "dip" as well. :thumb: Nothing to be concerned about though.

MikeK46 05-06-2013 09:52 PM

Sounds like the torque converter locking/unlocking after the shift to 2nd, which is normal. Mine does it when I accelerate at just the right amount of throttle too. Almost makes it feel like there are two 2nd gears. Just part of the torque management programming courtesy of Chrysler.

Tweak 05-06-2013 10:59 PM

didnt you make a thread about your line coming off? IIRC you drove for a few miles spraying fluid everywhere. I would get it checked out by a good tranny shop and have chrysler foot the bill. a transmission line coming completely off that early is unacceptable.

Kiddmen57 05-07-2013 09:37 PM

Appt at the dealer on Friday to show the tech the issue. Also while I'm there my window master switch should have arrived and can be swapped out for one that has a working auto down feature. It's a good thing these things are so much fun while they are working....

Kiddmen57 05-15-2013 04:58 PM

Dealer confirmed that it is NOT normal for this to happen. Apparently Chrysler told them to road test an on the lot vehicle to determine if it was indeed a normal operation (really chrysler...sheesh). So I now have a valve body on order for my tranny.

In addition, i discovered I likely have a chirping water pump also. nice quiet little chirping coming form around it when it was idling on the trail this weekend.

Man, I guess i will hit every common issue on my vehicle :/

Kiddmen57 05-28-2013 04:52 PM

UPDATE: sorry for the long wait. The tech drove a new jeep of the lot and surprise, no stutter in 2nd. They ordered a valve body for the transmission to see if that will fix it. Now I have to drop the jeep off for a day or two to get it installed. If this were any other vehicle I'd have given up and burned it in the desert for an insurance claim, but being a jeep, it still puts a smile on my face every time I get in and start it up.

SilverSport 05-28-2013 05:10 PM

I guess techs don't use a hose and pressure gauge anymore to troubleshoot. The "throw parts at it until its fixed" method.

Kiddmen57 06-06-2013 10:17 PM

Well,

new valve body did the trick....NOT.

So now the dealer is throwing it back to the engineers for the next step...which I still maintain should be a new transmission.

We shall see............................................... ....................................

Kiddmen57 06-12-2013 12:03 PM

Back at the dealership today. Yet again confirmed with the tech in the car what the issue is. Now they can go back to Chrysler and see what they say. The waiting game continues.....

legitposter 06-12-2013 04:44 PM

My '13 JK with 3.73 sort of has what you describe. It accelerates through 1st just fine but in 2nd it will drop RPM suddenly, as if it shifted too early to 3rd. I'll have to press the gas a little more and it will jump RPM, as if it shifted back down to 2nd, and I'll be accelerating fine again.

Honestly I've always attributed this to being too lite on the gas pedal, because I do drive it very sissy-ish, but maybe I'm just describing something completely different than you.

edit: oddly enough, after reading your other post, I bought from the exact same dealer as you

luke7575 06-12-2013 04:47 PM

Sorry for ur troubles i have about 4k on mine no issues as of yeat. I will post if anything comes up. Thanks for the heads up and keep us up to date.

Please

WonderJeep 06-12-2013 05:21 PM

My 10a does the same. RPMs dip in 2nd. So this isn't normal? Damn third shift build.

WonderJeep 06-15-2013 04:17 AM

Adding this thread here for reference.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/201...nk-142602.html

WonderJeep 06-15-2013 04:49 AM

Another similar thread...

Dead spot at 1500 RPM on new 3.6? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

Kiddmen57 06-15-2013 10:39 PM

Currently my jeep is sitting at the dealership awaiting word from Chryslers STAR engineer team. My dealer has submitted the paperwork for a NEW tranny under warranty. I should know what the final word is early next week. It really sucks being without my jeep. My local club is even having a fathers day run tomorrow :(

Kiddmen57 06-15-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WonderJeep (Post 3854099)
My 10a does the same. RPMs dip in 2nd. So this isn't normal? Damn third shift build.

It's funny, I said sorta the same thing as mine was started on a Friday and completed on a Monday...Best of both worlds! :/

Kiddmen57 06-18-2013 10:23 AM

6/18/13 UPDATE:

The engineers at Chrysler have approved a new transmission. In addition, they are shipping mine back to be evaluated. I guess it's nice to know that they want to figure out the problem. Doubt I'll ever know myself though.

WonderJeep 06-19-2013 12:25 AM

Can you post your Case # with Chrysler so that others can use as a reference if Chrysler dishonors other claims?

Im thinking about having my dealer look at my transmission now and Im sure having your case # will make things a lot easier if I decide to pursue a new transmission...

TIA

legitposter 06-19-2013 10:11 AM

Thanks for the info, keep us updated.

Kiddmen57 06-27-2013 11:58 AM

Update:

New transmission went in yesterday. picked her back up this morning and so far so good. The stutter is gone. smooth sailing all the way to work. 25 miles + freeway.
I'm not sure about the case number. Is that on the dealer paperwork? I only called Chrysler once, that was when the cooler line popped off the day after i got the jeep. I think that would be a different case.

WonderJeep 07-30-2013 06:06 PM

Curious how it has been after a month? Did your mileage improve with new trans? All good now?

Spyder1049 07-30-2013 06:31 PM

ughhhhh.... I have this problem too , question did you have bigger tires or a lift or any modifications , i ask because i do and would like to know if they are going to bust my balls , i had the problem from the beginning

itssbs 07-30-2013 11:51 PM

2013 JKR same weird 2nd gear shift. dealer said there is a software update but they didn't fix it. Need to take it back again to have my tail gate stop replaced and should get the update.

BacaraJKU 07-31-2013 12:22 AM

Wow, I am glad I found this thread. I have the same issue and its very annoying. Got the "can not duplicate" the first time. When i picked it up I took tech for a ride, said it was fine and apparently normal. BS, I have owned several auto trannys and have never had this. I called dealer yesterday and my service manager said to stop by again and shop Forman will go out with me.

I'm pushing to get new tranny since lift and everything else is sitting in garage ready to go on, don't want something to happen and they deny due to lift.

As others asked, can you post Chrysler case # so others can reference.

Kiddmen57 07-31-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WonderJeep (Post 4020909)
Curious how it has been after a month? Did your mileage improve with new trans? All good now?

Not sure about gas mileage, I never really care about it. The trans has been working great for the last month, no issues. Have almost 2K on it now. Its weird b/c sometimes I still wait for the stutter, but its not there :dance:.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder1049 (Post 4021022)
ughhhhh.... I have this problem too , question did you have bigger tires or a lift or any modifications , i ask because i do and would like to know if they are going to bust my balls , i had the problem from the beginning

100% stock except for sliders.

Kiddmen57 07-31-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BacaraJKU (Post 4022570)
I'm pushing to get new tranny since lift and everything else is sitting in garage ready to go on, don't want something to happen and they deny due to lift.

I too put off the major mods until this mess was sorted out. Unfortunately, waiting is a hard thing to do and my funds were spent on other things. Now I'm in the saving game again.

BacaraJKU 07-31-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiddmen57 (Post 4024141)

I too put off the major mods until this mess was sorted out. Unfortunately, waiting is a hard thing to do and my funds were spent on other things. Now I'm in the saving game again.

Hard waiting when everything is piled up in boxes in the garage just waiting to install. Ughhh. Heading down to dealer today to test drive with shop foreman. If he confirms issue, I'm installing everything this weekend.