Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Back end stepping out (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/back-end-stepping-out-240894.html)

scottyboombox 05-06-2013 08:07 PM

Back end stepping out

Back end stepping out We (my family and I) are currently looking to buy a "new" jeep and just got back from test driving a 2000 TJ Sahara. The TJ has just over 100,000 miles with a 2.5" lift, 33" km2s, and a few other small modifications. The problem we noticed with it is that when you step on the gas going 25+mph there is a obvious jerk from the back end to the left and then when letting off the gas it has the same jerk but to the right.

The owner said it has has this problem for years and they looked into many things and could never find the fix, they just got used to it. So, I was wondering if you all had any similar experiences or ideas about what the problem could be.

jeepwayoflife 05-06-2013 08:23 PM

Welcome! 100,000 miles is fine on a jeep, they tend to go 200,000+ with proper maintenance. First, a 2.5" is darn small for 33" tires. If you are planning to 4wheel with it you will need either a larger lift or highline fenders. The shifting during acceleration and deceleration could be something wrong with the rear differential or maybe track bar. Either way I would have a trusted mechanic, preferably one that works on jeeps, check it out before you buy.

n00g7 05-06-2013 08:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Run away or find out with absolute certainty what needs to be fixed and use that to negotiate a lower price. It should absolutely not be doing that.

RedSurveyor 05-06-2013 08:30 PM

I was told that it was my lockers that did that. ?? No??

KawiTJ 05-06-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSurveyor (Post 3726726)
I was told that it was my lockers that did that. ?? No??

Mine does the same thing since I put a locker in and all control arms and track bars are new., still havnt got used to it and I'm a little heavy on the gas so that's no help.

jeepwayoflife 05-06-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KawiTJ (Post 3726770)
Mine does the same thing since I put a locker in and all control arms and track bars are new., still havnt got used to it and I'm a little heavy on the gas so that's no help.

What kind of locker? I don't see how accelerating in a straight line would cause a locker to lurch one wheel faster than the other. I understand around corners if an autolocker engages, but not going straight...

n00g7 05-06-2013 08:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepwayoflife (Post 3726822)
What kind of locker? I don't see how accelerating in a straight line would cause a locker to lurch one wheel faster than the other. I understand around corners if an autolocker engages, but not going straight...

Agreed.

A Detroit would disengage, but that's neither here nor there.

scottyboombox 05-06-2013 08:59 PM

There is no locker on this jeep

n00g7 05-06-2013 09:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyboombox (Post 3726837)
There is no locker on this jeep

My vote is for blown bushings on one or more control arms, brake rub, or issue with the diff. Doesn't seem like PO was too concerned with maintenance if he just said, "F*** it, it drives like shit but I'm not going to fix it" and then proceeded to put off-road tires with no siping on a jeep with obvious potential loss of traction issues he only drove on the road.

scottyboombox 05-06-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00g7 (Post 3726855)

My vote is for blown bushings on one or more control arms, brake rub, or issue with the diff. Doesn't seem like PO was too concerned with maintenance if he just said, "F*** it, it drives like shit but I'm not going to fix it" and then proceeded to put off-road tires with no siping on a jeep with obvious potential loss of traction issues he only drove on the road.

He actually looked into a lot of things to try to fix the problem, but I don't think he ever thought it could be a suspension problem. Also I doubt it's the brakes, because in the past week it's been in and out of the shop getting those fixed.

Water Dog 05-06-2013 09:25 PM

My vote is for track bar or CA bushings.

SpringRubiconTJ 05-06-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by water dog (Post 3726951)
my vote is for track bar or ca bushings.

+1

scottyboombox 05-06-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Water Dog (Post 3726951)
My vote is for track bar or CA bushings.

This seems to be the general consensus.

We just closed the deal on it and will probably get it checked out on Saturday by our local off road shop.

wranglerbob1 05-06-2013 11:06 PM

Mine did the same exact thing going down highway a few weeks ago about 5 miles from my house. Of course I keep getting on and off the gas trying to figure out what the new symptom was. Snapped off the mount for the lower driver rear control arm.
I would look at control arms and mounts.

jeepwayoflife 05-07-2013 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyboombox (Post 3727289)

This seems to be the general consensus.

We just closed the deal on it and will probably get it checked out on Saturday by our local off road shop.

Best of luck to ya. Gutsy to buy a vehicle with unknown problems. Let us know what they say, and post some pics! :thumb:

Drk5ide 05-07-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepwayoflife (Post 3728058)
Best of luck to ya. Gutsy to buy a vehicle with unknown problems. Let us know what they say, and post some pics! :thumb:

X2 good luck I hope it's a cheap fix and you got a good deal.