Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   quick question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/quick-question-24102.html)

wallyworld1209 12-16-2008 08:31 PM

quick question
 
Okay I don't mean to be a newb but I have a quick question. I took my spare tire off because it was smaller than the tires I got on now and when I took the bracket and everything off there was this vent thing on the trunk door and I was just wondering what the function of it was? And is there a way I can cover it up? I've seen many Jeeps without spare tires and I don't recall this vent on any of them.

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...9/HPIM1514.jpg

Triple88a 12-16-2008 08:50 PM

its there to allow air out when you slam your doors or your tail gate so you dont end up blowing your windows out (assuming your top is up)
All jeeps have it, If you want you can take it off and paint it green.

nicolas-eric 12-16-2008 09:14 PM

in older TJs there were 2 vent holes on each side of the softtop. newr TJs have this hole at the tailgate.

wallyworld1209 12-16-2008 09:57 PM

Oh okay that makes sense. It looked so weird and I had never seen it. Thanks

jdhallissey 12-16-2008 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 293641)
its there to allow air out when you slam your doors or your tail gate so you dont end up blowing your windows out (assuming your top is up)
All jeeps have it, If you want you can take it off and paint it green.

That would be awesome to see- anybody try blowing there windows out?! I wanna watch that!

05GT-O.C.D. 12-16-2008 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolas-eric (Post 293651)
in older TJs there were 2 vent holes on each side of the softtop. newr TJs have this hole at the tailgate.

Hmmm... where are these mysterious vent holes? I know my old hardtop had the vents, but wasn't aware of any on either of my soft tops, and that's the first I've seen of a tailgate vent too. (I've had a 97 and 99, currently have a 98) Learn something everyday. :cool:

Triple88a 12-16-2008 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdhallissey (Post 293674)
That would be awesome to see- anybody try blowing there windows out?! I wanna watch that!

Lol Seal all 3 vents up (2 on the hard top and 1 on the back) and you and the passenger slam both doors as hard as you can at the same time. You can give ur rear side windows a nice shock. :wavey:

distortedtj 12-16-2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D. (Post 293675)
Hmmm... where are these mysterious vent holes? I know my old hardtop had the vents, but wasn't aware of any on either of my soft tops, and that's the first I've seen of a tailgate vent too. (I've had a 97 and 99, currently have a 98) Learn something everyday. :cool:

The vents are mainly for the hard top.

The vents are on the sides of the hard top from 97 to 02.

The vents are on the middle of the tailgate from 03 to 06.

And yes the vents are for pressure release.

Triple88a 12-16-2008 10:18 PM

hhhmm i'll check mine out tomorow if it has the vent on the tail gate (oo)

nicolas-eric 12-16-2008 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D. (Post 293675)
Hmmm... where are these mysterious vent holes? I know my old hardtop had the vents, but wasn't aware of any on either of my soft tops, and that's the first I've seen of a tailgate vent too. (I've had a 97 and 99, currently have a 98) Learn something everyday. :cool:

New TJ hardtops donīt have these vent holes.

http://up.picr.de/1618829.jpg

distortedtj 12-16-2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 293679)
hhhmm i'll check mine out tomorow if it has the vent on the tail gate (oo)


Shouldn't unless it was replaced with a new one. You do have the vents on the side of your hard top. In the pictures of your jeep in the "what did you do to your jeep today" thread.

Triple88a 12-16-2008 10:26 PM

yes sir, i have those things, i hate them, they keep popping out because of my sub.

and holy crap on the news, some one just successfully did a face transplant.

wallyworld1209 12-17-2008 01:14 AM

I had a friend slam my door shut and I could feel the air flowing out of it. It was pretty cool haha. And yeah you definitly do learn something new everyday. :)

05GT-O.C.D. 12-17-2008 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolas-eric (Post 293681)
New TJ hardtops donīt have these vent holes.

http://up.picr.de/1618829.jpg

Yeah, I know about the hardtop, but you said they're on the softtop too... or did I misread? Are they under a flap, near a zipper somewhere?

debruins 12-17-2008 12:32 PM

hmmm if i dont have the one on the tailgate where is mine (97 sport)??
i have a soft top and there is plenty of other places to leak air out of and it would be nice to cover it up since its cold and my soft top already sucks at keeping me warm i dont need added holes on purpose :doh:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 PM.