Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

2012 Dual Top...no windows

5K views 62 replies 30 participants last post by  MarkII 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I just got off the phone with my dealership and I need to vent. So last july I bought a 2012 Sahara with dual to option. Ever Since I bought the jeep I haven't taken the hardtop off since I had nowhere to store it. So, fast forward to this weekend when I finally got a garage and can store the top. I take the hard top off. through the soft top up and hmm....I seem to be missing windows. After a quick internet search I come to find out that I should have received two boxes inside my Jeep when I took delivery last year. I didn't know this since this is my first Jeep vehicle.

So I contact the dealership yesterday and explain what happened. I spoke to the salesman that sold me the car and he was shocked that it never came with the vehicle. he took my info and told me he would call me back today. So what do you guys think happened? He spoke to his manager and they're not willing to give me my damn windows since it was almost a year ago!!! WTF

I contacted chrysler customer care and filed a complaint against the dealership, they said they would contact me tomorrow once they speak to the dealership. Do you guys think this will get resolved? Or will I be buying windows that should have come with the damn jeep in the first place? this f-ing blows.

See less See more
#2 ·
That SUCKS... i think i actually remember hearing something like this before.. i think it was that the soft top was damaged..

It's horrible to think that a dealer would stick it to you, burn a bridge, and definately lose a customer for life over windows that probably "cost" them, what $200 ?. . . but in today's day and age, NOTHING surprises me when it comes to human character.

Good luck.

#5 ·
That is a total bummer.

A few weeks ago when I traded Trektop NX for a Premium top, we met at the dealer because the guy I was trading with had to go get both boxes (windows and surrounds) that didn't come with his dual top package.

I'm wondering if someone got sticky fingers while they were sitting on the lot.

#6 ·
That's terrible. Sorry that has happened to you. Not the first time I have heard of it happening though. Hopefully the Customer care people can do something to help you out.

They dont call them stealerships for no reason. Just keep going in and complaining about it, eventually they will get tired of you causing a seen in the dealership and give you the windows. Tell them your going to contact a local editor of the newspaper there and have them write an article about poor customer service and theft at the dealership. I bet they will be willing to help out once they find out about that.

#7 ·
That really sucks, I had something similar buying my Jeep used. But that dealership was willing to meet me half way to make it right. In the end I opted for them to buy a Bestop Safari Bikini Cable top instead. I already had a perfectly good hard top and figured that during the summers I would prefer to run topless as much as possible. I have everything for Hard top, Bikini and Soft top w/out the Windows.

Pretty sad though when a new Jeep dealership does this to you. Keep working up the food chain, find the GM even the ownership groups name and start making calls. Eventually the GM and parts guys can make it right, sadly what will happen is some guy with a 2013 won't have windows for his Jeep ;)

#8 ·
Actually the 2013's have a redesigned softop so the 2012's won't match. I have an inkling that this is one of the dealerships problems. They don't have any 2012 windows and would need to order it. I guess it's better to screw over a paying customer than to take the time to find out which employee is stealing f-ing parts from you to sell on ebay huh? What a world we freaking live in. Then Chrysler is shocked when they get such low scores on customer satisfaction surveys.

#10 ·
They make you sign a document (here anyway) that the vehicle is intact and as described when you pick it up. They did show me the vehicle but not the contents of the boxes and I didn't look inside.

I'm sure some dealers are scammers. I have the Dual Top group and should check my boxes as I never looked inside and my soft top still has the tags and cover on it.

#11 ·
So for $hits and giggles I got a quote on the windows from a competing dealership.....986 dollars!!!! motherf@cker! The parts guy told me he was sorry they broke into my jeep. I explained to him what happened and he was even sorrier I bought from a $hit dealership.

#12 ·
I'm sure you could get the whole soft top and all accessories for the same amount on the classifieds. This is making me worry, I'll go check my boxes.

#14 ·
That dealer is hosing you at $986 I think. I quotes new ones for mine came to right about $600, some on eBay for $200.
RIGHT ! that is CRAZY money..
if it just side windows.. i'm pretty sure that Bestop sells just windows..i think they are actaully pretty popluar cuz they offer tint, and its a way for someone with clear windows to upgrade without buying the whole top.

Bestop

this might be a good place to start.... GOTTA be cheaper then dealer.

#16 ·
Btw I paid 198 bux for a Best Top door surround kit( which was a steal) and 185 bux for the tinted window kit from eBay. I checked with a dealer for stock parts and it was almost a $1000.

So my $425 soft top deal ended up at $825. Better than the 1500 from the dealer

#17 ·
Funny this would come up. I too ended up with dual tops and my soft top has been in storage since I bought it last fall. I'm planning to put the soft top on this weekend and started wondering if I had all the parts as I never checked. Looks like I do, but when I was opening one of the boxes I noticed a "manufactured on this date" sticker and it said it was made by and shipped from Bestop. $1000 for just the windows... What markup...

#18 ·
I think my set is complete too, but this is my first Wrangler and I have no clue what should be in the box (haven't attempted unboxing or install of the soft top and not sure I'm going to). I have 3 windows in one box, metal rollbar brackets and a bunch of plastic brackets in another.

#19 · (Edited)
SSo I went to the dealership today to speak with someone and I ended up just totally losing my shit after getting the run around and not being able to speak to anyone that could he'll since apparently the manager had left for the day. Ended up screaming and cursing up an f-in storm on the showroom floor at some plebe salesman. I'm going back again tomorrow to speak with the manager. They had the nerve to tell me that they owed me nothing since there is nothing in writing that states I didn't get my Windows.that's complete bullshit because I don't have any type of paperwork showing that they did give me Windows in the first place.the burden of proof dosnt lie with the buyer!! it lies with the seller, if they can't show me something that process they gave me the window boxes when I bought the jeep then legally I am in the right. I just can't believe they would screw a customer like this. It's sad, if this doesn't get resolved I will get rid of my jeep and never ever purchase a Chrysler product again till the day I die and I will go out of my way to make sure no one I know gets a good word about them from me. this sins call complete and utter ****ery.

#20 ·
Hey man calm down a bit and think about it from their view as well. Its been what a year now and there is a guy coming claiming he did not get some windows. Now not saying you did this but for all they know you could of messed up yours and are looking for a freebie replacement. I think before you go back in you should see what Chrysler has to say first after they talk to the dealership about it.

#21 ·
This also happened to my on my first go-around (2011 model), luckily I caught on 2 weeks later. I could hear the tone of the SM voice drop when I indicated that they forgot to give me the two boxes. Everything ended well, but the point being, what I learned was most if not all dealers will hand write the stock # of the Jeep on the two boxes and put the boxes in their store room. The stock # is there internal vehicle inventory number. This number should be on your sales invoice somewhere. Or the original key chain tag, or if you bought existing inventory, an online ad or where ever you original saw the jeep.

Once you find that stock no. demand that they search their store room for two boxes with the corresponding number. Make like you know what you are talking about and how the internal system works. There is of course the chance that they don't do that (affix stock no to the boxes) or they do and don't care and sold it long ago.

But give it shot.

Most importantly don't ask whoever you speak to if they do that, rather inform them that they do, e.g. my jeep's stock no. from your dealer ship is 12345, there should be two boxes in your storage room with that no on it that belong to me. :cool:

#22 ·
I had a similar problem with an 08 grand Cherokee iPod connector not working told the dealership n they said that option wasn't avalie I said then why the hell is the port in the glove box and jeep advertising it on there commercials. Told them the only reason I got that jeep was because of that. Otherwise I would have gotten a different one. They looked over the vehicle and couldn't find the problem. Told them I would contact the bbb and local news if they didn't refund me the $300 option because it was false advertising. They cut me a check right there. Checked out why it wosant working on my own and found the cable wasn't connected in the kick pannel. They never checked somthing so simple. So I ended up getting it to work and got a check for $300

#23 ·
I have the Dual Tops as well... Luckily we had a break in the weather about 2 months after i bought the Jeep.. I started to put the soft top on and realized i had the wrong boxes... The door surround i got was for a 2 door- i have an unlimited.. the box also only had one door surround in it.. Back to the dealership- then i was missing the rear door bar, back to the dealership.. They were not super excited to see me when i pulled up, so i could only imagine what they would be like a year later. Wow..Good luck getting the windows!

#24 ·
I bought my 13 at the end of November, and a month later was reading a thread on this forum about the boxes. Someone had even taken a picture of the boxes in the back of their Jeep, and I realized I hadn't received them either. After a couple of unanswered VM's, I figured I was in for a fight, but they responded to an email and told me to come pick them up. I wasn't thrilled the dealership was an hour away, but mistakes do happen, and they couldn't have been nicer when I went (even though I wasn't able to make it for a few more months), very apologetic and even offered to buy me lunch.

Your dealership should eat the cost, it's unlikely anyone is going to use this as a scam, and as a new Jeep owner how are you supposed to know? I would write a letter to the owner of the dealership, it's worked for me in the past when I've had an issue. Apparently Managers really don't like when the owner gets involved or is made aware of issues.

Luckily for me, this is one of about 10 amazing & simple things I've learned from this forum!

#25 ·
My dealership left the boxes in the Jeeps sitting in the lot, didn’t even know what they were. I read about this problem before I bought and made sure there were 2 boxes in the back seat, I wanted to open them up before I drove off but waited till I was home and everything was there. I got clear windows with the jeep but ordered tinted ones from Bestop right away, it was like $230 and they match perfectly, look good.

#26 ·
Your not the only one! I had mine brought in from out of province and noticed upon picking it up that my windows were missing. They spent two weeks "looking" for them, at which time I gave them the opportunity to either get new ones, or give me the go ahead to replace them on they're dime. They ordered new ones from factory, which took another 6 weeks, as none of the ones they had on the lot were Kahki, and didn't match my top. I did see the invoice, for over $700, and this was in 2009!
My dealer did make it right, but I had to keep on them about it, or they would have just blamed it on the dealership they bought it in from, and left me holding the bill.

#27 ·
I really wouldn't have lost my cool if they hadn't treated me like I was some sort of liar or scammer instead of a good and PAYING customer. And when I was told that they had nothing in writing stating that they "owed" me windows i just couldn't take it anymore. What type of business runs successfully by only delivering what they are legally bound to? Does customer service and satisfaction not mean anything? In my business if a customer came to me with a complaint and I said "oh well, I have no paperwork stating that I owe you anything" I would lose that customer in a second and get my ass chewed out by my VP for doing so. I payed 30k for this vehicle I would expect to get everything that I should get with that purchase once I take delivery. How am I supposed to know that two boxes are missing?? I never bought a Jeep before, it's insane. :banghead:

#28 ·
No stock # written on mine... and I think losing your cool might not help you get your windows.

Manufacture date is pretty old for a 2013 model... ^

#29 ·
Holy!! That manufacture date can't be right can it? I thought they redesigned the tops for 2013. The new tops do look nicer , but I've noticed they hold a lot more dirt and pollen on them as well. But they have a richer more textured look to them that I like.

#30 ·
Hardware says 2012 on it and the windows say 2008 on them. You tell me, if it's the wrong stuff I'll just go swap it at the dealer and tell them they gave me the wrong shit.

#50 ·
I thought the khaki color was only available in earlier Jk years, making this an older top. Not 100% sure though.

#31 ·
mugen939 you know this already as it sounds like you deal with customer service, but losing your cool will get you no where real fast. By now the manager has been alerted to your behavior and it's going to be even harder to get them to work with you. I deal with upset customers and the ones that use foul language and go off on my staff or me don't get what they want, the ones that can talk to me I will listen and try to work with. My 2 cents worth, I'd start off by apologizing to the sales guy, he doesn't have authority to make any decisions in the first place.

You can escalate this to the dealership owner, Chrysler, BBB, heck if nothing else is getting them to work with you park in the street near the entrance with a sign - I've seen that work. Key is to keep your cool.

#35 ·
mugen939 you know this already as it sounds like you deal with customer service, but losing your cool will get you no where real fast. By now the manager has been alerted to your behavior and it's going to be even harder to get them to work with you. I deal with upset customers and the ones that use foul language and go off on my staff or me don't get what they want, the ones that can talk to me I will listen and try to work with. My 2 cents worth, I'd start off by apologizing to the sales guy, he doesn't have authority to make any decisions in the first place.

You can escalate this to the dealership owner, Chrysler, BBB, heck if nothing else is getting them to work with you park in the street near the entrance with a sign - I've seen that work. Key is to keep your cool.
Not for anything, but if your staff is incompetent, then they deserve to get blasted. My 2005 rubicon didn't come with the windows, but they made it right. Now if they gave me a hard time about it and were ignorant, they deserve everything the customer says to them. If someone is irate, don't you think there is a reason? You as a manager or whatever you are, should be properly trained to deal with and calm the customer, not work against them. You should not be in customer service if you think this way.

#32 ·
You know what isn't cool?

The fact that this thread had so many replies that said "yeah, that happend to me too"

You don't know what you don't know. I had no clue if I had everything until I put the soft top on. I "thought" I knew, but wasn't for sure until everything was on.

#37 ·
You know what isn't cool? The fact that this thread had so many replies that said "yeah, that happend to me too"
Even worse is that it seems common on other Jeep forums too. There is obviously a problem at dealerships, either allowing them to be stolen while parked, employees running off or dealerships playing games. I don't know which really, but the new consumer that doesn't find these type of groups before they buy is the one getting shafted.

You should not be in customer service if you think this way.
I can take the yelling but I won't allow my staff to be verbally abused, period. Swearing at anyone in my business ends the discussion until the person can talk like an adult. Thankfully in my 30 years in my line of work I can only think of 4 people that fit that bill. Most will come into talk and work out something reasonable. Reality is the customer isn't always right, but it's making them feel good about things at the end of the day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.