Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   My first Jeep!!!! Alas, water leaks, need advice :( (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/my-first-jeep-alas-water-leaks-need-advice-241145.html)

WhiteCloak 05-07-2013 05:48 PM

My first Jeep!!!! Alas, water leaks, need advice :(

Hello all,

Looooong time lurker, just registered this moment.

Finally bought my first Wrangler, 3 weeks ago. 2013 2-door ,Sport, deep cherry red. Soft top.

It's the finest vehicle I've ever owned and I'm madly in love with it. Not to sound...strange or anything, but I open my window 20 times a day to just gaze at it in the parking lot from my apt.
There is an issue that is spoiling my delight however.
First medium rain, it poured into the drivers and passengers sides, it wasn't even being driven.

Took it back to the dealer, who summoned the "leak doctor" who said it was common, and patched it up.

Week after it rained again and the same thing happened. I took it back and the "doc" did his thing again.

Next time it rained it got inside yet again.
I again returned to the dealer, who this time had a different guy from the same company and he told me he found the source of the leaks.
Apparently, the stitching was ever so slightly open (he found this by running a flashlight behind the seams and looking for light seepage) and he sealed the seams and "created new channels for the water to run down to avoid that problem area".

It just rained again today and I must confess the issue is 97% resolved...only a few drops here and there.

So my question to you patient readers, is do I go back and have the dealer replace the soft top (they told me that might be an option if it happened again), or do I just leave well enough alone at this point??

The dealer insists that the carpets can't grow mold and that they are resistant (I believe this is nonsense, darkness and wet always lead to bacteria growth) and that the inside of the jeep won't rust from water getting inside... I don't know what to do here and I'd really appreciate the advice of members here who may have gone through something similar.

Do all soft top tops leak and I should just accept that my new 30K ride will always get wet inside?
If you guys say that a few drops is within the norm then I'll be happy and move on.

C.L. 05-07-2013 05:54 PM

Since they've already acknowledged that the first top was defective (common issue, multiple fixes, damaged seam, etc), and have offered to replace the top, i'd take them up on it. No need to burn any bridges on the way out, just let them know that you park outside and even minor leaks will add up to more serious electrical/interior damage over time.

ohioviper 05-07-2013 05:56 PM

Its common for them to leak but if it was me I would ask for a new top.

WhiteCloak 05-07-2013 05:58 PM

I was leaning towards a new top, but my co-worker was saying that there's no guarantee that the new top won't also leak and that I'll be back to square one.

dawhitesJKU 05-07-2013 06:03 PM

i've owned mine for almost a year and it only leaks when i open the door if left outside in the rain (yesterday), but all that water is diverted to the ground and not the inside of the cabin.

unusedusername 05-07-2013 06:18 PM

I would also say you should get the top replaced if you can.

My 2013 does not leak at all with the soft top on it.

I would think that comparing the number of Jeeps sold to the number of people complaining online about leaky new tops would lead one to believe that a new soft top leaking is a rare thing.

WhiteCloak 05-08-2013 01:47 PM

Ok, spoke to the dealer and they got approval from the manufacturer and will be sending a factory fresh new soft top to the dealer to install for me! Yay! Hopefully this one will solve all my issues :)

Thanks all for the advice.

Jeeperz Creeperz 05-08-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohioviper (Post 3730541)
Its common for them to leak but if it was me I would ask for a new top.

-----
It is not common for them to leak brand new. It is common for owners to chalk defects up as a "Jeep thing".

If it is still leaking and they are offering you a new top. Have them install it. If as they said it is a problem with the stitching, it will only get worse over time with lots of use.

I have a 1 year old 2012 JKU Sahara soft top with zero water leakage. It has been through many Florida downpours and is parked outside. I recently picked up a 1999 TJ Sport that has a worn out top that only leaks where the zipper stiching has been torn.

ohioviper 05-08-2013 04:43 PM

Almost daily someone comes in here and ask about a leaking top so to me that is a pretty common thing.In the past 30 years we have owned around 12 Jeeps CJ,YJ,TJ and now a JK . They all leaked but my 95 YJ with a hard top.My hard top on my Gecko even leaked off the lot.Does not mean its right or cant be fixed just mean not uncommon to have issues with a leaky top on a Jeep. If its new take it back and make them fix it or replace it.

I notice you are in Florida so perhaps not going through freezing cold winters helps with this.

Germain 05-10-2013 12:41 PM

I have a 2012 JK 2 door, both sides leak, and it will be at the dealer next week. I first thought it was because I ordered the rare half doors (haven't seen another 2012 yet with these). The inside door panels are different and the water follows the angled panel from the front of the door to the area above the door handle. At first I thought it leaked directly above where the water spills out over the window. Today we are having heavy thunder storms in Houston, so what better time to shoot a short video or two of the actual leak action. Both sides leak at the same area, at the top of the windshield. The video files are too large I think, so are not included, sorry.
They will go to the dealer service department.

SilverSport 05-10-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeperz Creeperz (Post 3734003)
-----
It is not common for them to leak brand new. It is common for owners to chalk defects up as a "Jeep thing".

If it is still leaking and they are offering you a new top. Have them install it. If as they said it is a problem with the stitching, it will only get worse over time with lots of use........

^This. Do not settle for a leaky top on a brand new vehicle.

WhiteCloak 05-10-2013 06:15 PM

The dealer has my new soft top in, will leave my baby there all day Tuesday while they install it :)

OffRoadCam09 05-10-2013 06:49 PM

The new top will probably work, I had the same issues an took it in. The first time all the seals were replaced an it stopped leaking for a few months then it happened again so took it back they put on a new top(old one was found defective) an its good as new with no leaks

Smythe86 05-11-2013 11:51 PM

I have a hard top 2012 jku. It's currently leaking a bit. Left the top off last night and it rained of course. But it seems like there's still a minor leak and I can't figure out from where. Water dripped down from the overhead speaker a little. But that's gone after re seating the top. But it seems the driver door is leaking a bit. Probably shitty door seal