Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Mechanic by profession? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/mechanic-by-profession-241200.html)

Willybusmc 05-07-2013 09:11 PM

Mechanic by profession?

I work for enterprise rental car at the Atlanta airport, as a maintenance tech. I was just curious to see who else on here works as a professional mechanic? I know most of us are at least backyard mechanics, just curious to see who does it for a living

Mcatt 05-07-2013 09:17 PM

I was a Chevrolet tech for about 13 years. ASE Master Tech. Changed careers and now retired. Still have my big ole Snap on box full of tools that still get a regular work out.

kyjeep 05-07-2013 09:22 PM

Turned wrenches for almost ten years ASE master. Got tired of it and bought a Snap On franchise. Love selling tools but I really miss the garage.

Willybusmc 05-07-2013 09:46 PM

I'm 19 and still in tech school. Going for my ase soon. Any advice y'all master techs can give me?

kyjeep 05-07-2013 09:58 PM

Pay really close attention to the question and read all possible answers. Don't let the Technician A Technician B crap throw you off.

MonkeyMonsoon 05-08-2013 07:21 AM

Been working at a private shop for 10 years now. ASE master tech.

1jeeplvr 05-08-2013 06:45 PM

Im a VW tech & seems to me the ASE tests are geared towards GM.

1jeeplvr 05-08-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyjeep (Post 3731438)
Turned wrenches for almost ten years ASE master. Got tired of it and bought a Snap On franchise. Love selling tools but I really miss the garage.

You miss the garage? Getting cut up and dirty on a regular basis was fun to you lol ? What do you miss about it? I think If I found something I liked to do I wouldent miss turning wrenches.

BlueRidgeYJ 05-08-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyjeep (Post 3731438)

Have fun in Texas? Or did you cycle through Detroit? How on Earth do you have time to be on here!? Lmao. What a "job" that is.

Spent 4 years turning wrenches, 8 years selling em. When the bk5500 (iirc) came out with misleading packaging, and that ct 1/4 ratchett came from China stamped Snappy, not BluePoint, I started to look elsewhere. Still the best tools on the planet, though.

And no, I don't miss the 80hr weeks, or the 55hr weeks turning wrenches. Now I just do it for fun (again).

66fordman 05-08-2013 08:55 PM

Started on the lube rack at a Buick dealership. B tech after 3 years, then quality control,after 14 years switched to Saturn, 3 years there then became service manager of two dealerships. Got tired of the grind , changed careers, now a stationary engineer in high-rise buildings. (still wrench and restore at home)

kyjeep 05-08-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeYJ (Post 3734989)

Have fun in Texas? Or did you cycle through Detroit? How on Earth do you have time to be on here!? Lmao. What a "job" that is.

Spent 4 years turning wrenches, 8 years selling em. When the bk5500 (iirc) came out with misleading packaging, and that ct 1/4 ratchett came from China stamped Snappy, not BluePoint, I started to look elsewhere. Still the best tools on the planet, though.

And no, I don't miss the 80hr weeks, or the 55hr weeks turning wrenches. Now I just do it for fun (again).

I went through Dallas and yes running this thing is very time consuming as you know. I like it but my passion is fixing things. I still manage to bang a few jobs out every once in a while on the weekends but there isn't much time for it with a wife a tool truck and a 7 month old.

bluejkx 05-09-2013 04:39 AM

Turning wrenches on marine diesel engines for 25 yrs and love every minute of it. I get to travel around the world fixing them. Very interesting job.

2xs 05-13-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mcatt (Post 3731413)
I was a Chevrolet tech for about 13 years. ASE Master Tech. Changed careers and now retired. Still have my big ole Snap on box full of tools that still get a regular work out.

Im right there with you, only im still in the field, sorta.
Now im one of those California Smog check Nazis.....

I have about 8 years as a GM tech, about 3 as Daimler Chrysler (yes, back then), too many years to count as a tech as a private shop, all my ASEs re-certified master since '93, I even went and got the new one, A9 for light diesels....