Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   fan question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/fan-question-241224.html)

2-deal-cars 05-07-2013 11:15 PM

fan question

My 1997 jeep Sahara likes to get overheated when it is sitting at the bank drive through. I checked my coolant it was green and full. Looked clean and clear. I have not tried to take out the radiator and blast it at the car wash yet. I did however just mess with the fan. It spins freely by hand when its not running. Is that correct or is there a clutch issue? 4.0 liter 4 wheel drive with 3 speed auto. Thanks for the advice.

CarloC 05-07-2013 11:20 PM

Did you try spinning it by hand while its off but over heating? If you can it is most likely your fan clutch that's bad.

2-deal-cars 05-07-2013 11:28 PM

Yes I shut it off when we got home and went to check the coolant after it set for about 20 minutes. I spun the fan with my hand. It runs at 190-200 most the time. Just does not like setting still to much.

CarloC 05-07-2013 11:37 PM

Sounds like exactly the same problem I had. I ended up changing out the clutch for the fan. Pretty easy job to do and not that expensive either.

2-deal-cars 05-07-2013 11:39 PM

How do I change it? Does the fan just bolt on? Is the clutch built in the fan when I buy a new one?

CarloC 05-07-2013 11:43 PM

You remove the fan belt then there is 4 bolts holding the fan to the clutch that you take off. Then behind the clutch there is one big nut that you have to loosen. But you have to keep the clutch from spinning to get it off. When you buy the new one it only comes with the clutch no fan.

CarloC 05-07-2013 11:46 PM

I think when I did mine I left the fan attached to the clutch so I had more leverage to break the back nut loose. Then when I got it out I unbolted the fan from the clutch

SeVeReDiStOrTiOn 05-07-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2-deal-cars (Post 3731996)
Yes I shut it off when we got home and went to check the coolant after it set for about 20 minutes. I spun the fan with my hand. It runs at 190-200 most the time. Just does not like setting still to much.

How many times did the fan rotate?

JeepDiaz 05-07-2013 11:51 PM

Does any one have or had problems with the Sahara unlimited or jk traction and espbas light on I don't have the abs but the other two light are the only ones that come on what is the problem or how can I fix I already did my clock spring last week

2-deal-cars 05-07-2013 11:52 PM

I did not count how many times. Is there something to that? Can/should it spin both ways?

CarloC 05-08-2013 12:07 AM

I don't know if there is a specific amount of times to rotate it to check. But mine spun pretty freely when I was bad. Now with the new clutch in I can really hear the fan spinning when I'm on the throttle and the clutch is engaged.

Purp420Kush 05-08-2013 12:57 AM

Bad radiator, water pump, thermostat, or fan clutch (pretty sure only manuals come with a fan clutch.) Just replaced all of these parts... All very simple... Hardest most tedious part is removing the fan clutch, it can be a serious pain in the ass. Rent a fan clutch tool, no sense in buying one is not like your removing your fan clutch on a daily basis. If you want my advise, replace all these parts at the same time. You will buy part after part, then finally that last part you finally buy was the problem to begin with. Funny because I had a feeling the reason my TJ was over heating, was due to my water pump. Sad part is out of all the parts listed it was the last to go in. Save yourself the headache get all the parts you need then install them together. You'll be glad you did. P.S. Buy a new belt also.