Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Transmission Issues - leaking (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/transmission-issues-leaking-241298.html)

G.I.Barbie 05-08-2013 12:17 PM

Transmission Issues - leaking

Hello Forum

I have a 2008 Wrangler unlimited. It's an automatic transmission. End of Feb I had the transmission rebuilt and since them I have been to the shop EIGHT times as they cannot get what seems to be the transmission pan area from leaking. They replaced the gasket 7 times and then replaced another gasket/seal "that protects the harness for a speed sensor" (that's their quote). STill this puppy is leaking. I have had 3 new pans, with the techs taking great care NOT to bend or damage the pan in any way. I'm at a loss, frustrated and so is the manager of the place. Any ideas? WHat else could this be!!

Garyk 05-08-2013 03:03 PM

If you have had 3 factory pans on it and the oem gaskets too, then I would suspect the trans housing itself

SuicideSaints 05-08-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garyk (Post 3734146)
If you have had 3 factory pans on it and the oem gaskets too, then I would suspect the trans housing itself

+1

it sounds like the surface is warped or some other truing defect. I would nicely suggest that to them and see what they say/see.

G.I.Barbie 05-08-2013 05:14 PM

They as possible but not probable. It would have to get so hot it would totally trash the transmission. I'm about to explode. Seriously.

SuicideSaints 05-09-2013 09:28 AM

Are you the original owner? If not does the Carfax say anything? It might have been damaged from a previous owner if you aren't the original owner and repaired in a way that "worked" and when it was rebuilt the "fix" no longer worked. Just spit balling ideas. I really have no other idea if it is in fact leaking from there and they have tried multiple times. I would at least mention it..... Let us know what it is if and when you find it.

G.I.Barbie 05-09-2013 02:35 PM

I did pull a carfax yesterday and there was some minor accident for which I went to TXDOT to order the accident report. When I bought the vehicle this "accident" didn't make the carfax report. There were TWO recalls from Chrysler relative to the transmission - as below. This warranty was already performed. When I talked to the dealership that performed the work they said all they did was reprogram something that would let you know the fluid was overheating.

I am sitting, as I type this, in another shop getting a second opinion and from what the tech says, it's the seal where the transfer case meets the transmission. Sounds like shoddy work to me. UGH!!

NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 09V436000
Recall Date: 2009-11-05
Summary:
CHRYSLER IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2007 THROUGH 2008 JEEP WRANGLER VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM JUNE 2006 THROUGH JULY 2008, EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS. THESE VEHICLES WERE NOT EQUIPPED WITH A TRANSMISSION FLUID TEMPERATURE WARNING SYSTEM.
Consequences:
FLUID COULD BOIL OVER AND MAY COME INTO CONTACT WITH A HOT ENGINE OR EXHAUST COMPONENT AND CAUSE A FIRE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND INSTALL A "HOTOIL" MESSAGE IN THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER AND A CHIME INDICATING AN ELEVATED TRANSMISSION FLUID CONDITION. THE RECALL BEGAN ON FEBRUARY 22, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-835-1403.
Component Affected:
POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Notes:
Chrysler Group LLC

G.I.Barbie 05-09-2013 09:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok so the last look showed two leaky/weepy spots - where the transmission meets the transfer case and to the passenger side ( the the right of t-case/tranny juncture) there is an electrical plug of some type. The mechanic marked the areas with red arrows. The mechanic was my brother who owns his own shop. I had to drive nearly 50 miles one way to get this diagnosed. The pictures shows the areas after considerable cleaning. It won't leak when I drive but after sitting for a day or two (which happens as I work from home) dripping, albeit slowly, becomes apparent. So frustrating as this is trip nine and trip ten to have to seals re-done will be Saturday (another 40 miles one way) and hopefully THE FINAL TME.

SilverSport 05-09-2013 09:21 PM

The area with the two arrows is where the transmission mates to the adapter which sets between the transmission and transfer case. It requires a special sealant similar to RTV.

G.I.Barbie 05-09-2013 09:37 PM

Thanks for the comment Silver. Can you tell me a little more about the sealant? Like what they should be using. It might help me communicate this better to the techs.

G.I.Barbie 05-11-2013 07:45 AM

Not exactly the information I wanted to read

http://etereman.com/blog/chrysler-au...-transmission/

SilverSport 05-11-2013 08:21 AM

Sealer, RTV Gray, part number 68082860AA

G.I.Barbie 05-11-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSport (Post 3744020)
Sealer, RTV Gray, part number 68082860AA

Thank you so much Silver. We've actually found another leaky spot on some plug with a blue O-ring that lies just above the oil pan on the driver's side. Looks like there might be an overall defect in the case, so they are ordering a new case to see if these O-rings and gaskets seat better. Absolutely crazy, this leaking thing. Lets think positive and hope this works. I feel so blessed that the shop has not given up and still continues to seek to solve the problem at their cost and time. The last time I went in,I felt so bad, I brought them doughnuts.

Keeping my fingers crossed.