Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   How long do you let your Jeep warm up? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/how-long-do-you-let-your-jeep-warm-up-241299.html)

WonderJeep 05-08-2013 12:21 PM

How long do you let your Jeep warm up?

Just curious how long everyone else waits and what the general concensus is.

I usually wait about 5 minutes on cold starts in the morning.

TIA!

wrangler0 05-08-2013 12:29 PM

I wait until the RPM marker falls just under 1,000.

overblown 05-08-2013 12:31 PM

The days of warming a car up are long gone my friend. That is a practice from a past era. Start your car and go. You aren't going to hurt anything. Now, if you are just wanting the heat to be ready on a cold morning, that's another story. Mine only takes about 4 min or so at idle to get some good heat blowing. But if you are concerned with the safety of the engine at startup, you need not be.

Disconnected 05-08-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overblown (Post 3733655)
The days of warming a car up are long gone my friend. That is a practice from a past era. Start your car and go. You aren't going to hurt anything. Now, if you are just wanting the heat to be ready on a cold morning, that's another story. Mine only takes about 4 min or so at idle to get some good heat blowing. But if you are concerned with the safety of the engine at startup, you need not be.

This, at least for me

Miser 05-08-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrangler0 (Post 3733653)

X2:thumb:

Wranglin4Life 05-08-2013 12:33 PM

Depends on the temp really. I usually wait long enough for the idle to go down and then about an additional minute.

Longer in cold temps tho. In the winter it was 5+ minutes every time.

maleman876 05-08-2013 12:34 PM

Until the bluetooth on the headunit has decided it's time to connect and I start my music, then I'm off.

whiteyjfm 05-08-2013 12:42 PM

What is the point of warming up the engine if your transmission and diff oil don't warm up?? Warming up the engine is a thing of the past. Start it and drive.

On modern enjoins the computer prevent you from over revving it while it is cold.

derf 05-08-2013 12:47 PM

I get in, fire it up and go.

I will keep it under 3K RPMs until it's up near operating temp to avoid issues stemming from cold oil flow. But there's absolutely no reason to let it warm up before driving it.

jkjeeper06 05-08-2013 12:47 PM

When it's below zero or close to it I warm it up for 5 minutes or so. Since its summer it warms up for the exact amount of time for me to plug in my iPod and hit play

kramer2k 05-08-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maleman876 (Post 3733670)
Until the bluetooth on the headunit has decided it's time to connect and I start my music, then I'm off.

+1 lol

dawhitesJKU 05-08-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 3733715)
i get in, fire it up and go.

I will keep it under 3k rpms until it's up near operating temp to avoid issues stemming from cold oil flow. But there's absolutely no reason to let it warm up before driving it.

+1

Old Dogger 05-08-2013 12:54 PM

Because I run straight 30 weight oil, I get some ticking and rapping at start up. Once that stops, then I'm on my way.
If you are running 5W20, OR 5W30, THEN NO WARM UP IS REQUIRED.

brian d 05-08-2013 12:55 PM

About as long as it takes to put my seat belt on...

WonderJeep 05-08-2013 12:57 PM

Awesome....thanks for the replies guys!

COStrider 05-08-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overblown (Post 3733655)

This is true. Don't believe it? Read the manual, it's in there.

Mine blows heat in 2-6 blocks depending on ambient temperature

laollis 05-08-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

I will keep it under 3K RPMs until it's up near operating temp to avoid issues stemming from cold oil flow. But there's absolutely no reason to let it warm up before driving it.

Yup!

Reece 05-08-2013 02:44 PM

So what's the purpose of the computer raising the idle speed when you start up cold and then dropping it down slowly, eh?

legitposter 05-08-2013 02:45 PM

Every time I start my wrangler I sit for 10 seconds to let the oil and, most importantly, transmission fluid start circulating. This is for my normal operation.

I park in a garage in Arizona so I don't even remember what a true cold start is like, I'd probably sit for about 45 seconds I guess.

TOK 05-08-2013 02:52 PM

Normal temps, I let it run for a minute then drive it easy for a couple miles. Winter time I usually let it run a couple minutes longer and let it do the same thing.

My one extenuating circumstance is that my Jeep will sometimes sit an entire week without being started. I just feel better letting it run a minute.

n00g7 05-08-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reece (Post 3734093)
So what's the purpose of the computer raising the idle speed when you start up cold and then dropping it down slowly, eh?

Cats.

BacaraJKU 05-08-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrangler0 (Post 3733653)

x3, I normally follow this as that is when I hear that the engine is ready to go. I like to let the oil circulate around and the engine quiets down.

panthermark 05-08-2013 02:57 PM

On really cold days...a minute or two. Just long enough to scrape the ice off the windows. I also either have the heat off or on low during this time. (depends on the temp)

On warm days....5-10 seconds maybe?

Sebo 05-08-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maleman876 (Post 3733670)
until the bluetooth on the headunit has decided it's time to connect and i start my music, then i'm off.

+1

derf 05-08-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reece (Post 3734093)

It used to be to warm up the cats but they're so close to the exhaust now that they light off very quickly.

Mostly it's because the engine likes to operate within a certain temp range and getting it up there sooner helps with a number of things (not the least of which is start up emissions).

Thing is though, driving down the road warms up the engine faster than idling in the driveway.

Gowhitesox99 05-08-2013 03:26 PM

About 15 seconds, just cuz it makes me feel like im doing the engine good :-)

Jeeperz Creeperz 05-08-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WonderJeep (Post 3733618)
Just curious how long everyone else waits and what the general concensus is.

I usually wait about 5 minutes on cold starts in the morning.

TIA!

-------
Do you also pump the gas before starting?

This is another one of those myths still floating around.

6 Car Myths That Cost You Money Every Year | Cracked.com

Old Dogger 05-08-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeperz Creeperz (Post 3734265)
-------
Do you also pump the gas before starting?

This is another one of those myths still floating around.

6 Car Myths That Cost You Money Every Year | Cracked.com

Yes, when your pump valve went bad and wouldn't pump gas through the pump nozzles in the venture cluster and of coarse the good old unreliable choke was stuck opened, well, then , guess what, your engine wouldn't start!
THEM WERE THE GOOD OLD DAYS..............:nonono::nonono::nonono:

overblown 05-08-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

It is important to note that your temp gauge measures the coolant only. It doesn't tell you the engine oil temp and the coolant gets to it's normal level far faster than the oil does. So you can very well have hot coolant and cold oil. So, most of the time you've taken it over 3k because the gauge is near half, the oil was nowhere near that hot. That is one of the advantages of multi viscosity oil, to account for such things. What you are doing is totally fine and won't hurt a thing. It just goes to show that modern engines have come a long way.

There is zero need for any special procedures or waiting periods or tach drops etc but it makes some guys feel better so they do it. No big deal, that won't hurt anything either. Do what you feel!:thumb:

n00g7 05-08-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overblown (Post 3734439)
It is important to note that your temp gauge measures the coolant only. It doesn't tell you the engine oil temp and the coolant gets to it's normal level far faster than the oil does. So you can very well have hot coolant and cold oil. So, most of the time you've taken it over 3k because the gauge is near half, the oil was nowhere near that hot. That is one of the advantages of multi viscosity oil, to account for such things. What you are doing is totally fine and won't hurt a thing. It just goes to show that modern engines have come a long way.

There is zero need for any special procedures or waiting periods or tach drops etc but it makes some guys feel better so they do it. No big deal, that won't hurt anything either. Do what you feel!:thumb:

I let mine warm up for at least an hour or two before I go to work... if it's cloudy or I'm busy and go in early the jeep is SOL I guess. Poor thing.