Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Lift help please!!! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/lift-help-please-241317.html)

mountkenneth 05-08-2013 01:41 PM

Lift help please!!!

I am looking to lift my jeep, but as I am still in high school, I'm on a budget. To maximize cost efficiency, I was thinking about doing a 2" suspension lift, and a 2" body lift. I want the two inch suspension lift so that I can put 33" tires (will these look too small with at four inch lift?), and the 2" body to make it look taller. I also wanted to widen my wheelbase stance by a few inches. What are some suggestions on Lift kits and "Widening" kits that are of respectable quality without a huge price tag. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks!!

Reznor 05-08-2013 01:46 PM

Don't know about the widening, but 4" lift will look fine with 33's.

mountkenneth 05-08-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reznor (Post 3733892)
Don't know about the widening, but 4" lift will look fine with 33's.

Thanks. I think I want 33"s and not 35"s bc they are easier on the engine and it doesn't affect the top speed as much. Thanks for the input!!!!

TJ-GTR 05-08-2013 02:17 PM

You should be able to fit 33s easily with a total of 3 inches of lift. I would stick with a 1 inch body lift. There can be some xfer case shifter issues that could end up costing more $$ if you do - 2inch body lift. I believe there are a few kits that offer 1.25 inch pucks that will do the job fine.

You'll want to check the back spacing on your wheels. 3.75 to 4 inches of backspace is ideal. ( Less is better in this case) Not sure what gear ratio you have but, that may have some impact on performance if you're using this as a daily driver.

mountkenneth 05-08-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ-GTR (Post 3734011)
You should be able to fit 33s easily with a total of 3 inches of lift. I would stick with a 1 inch body lift. There can be some xfer case shifter issues that could end up costing more $$ if you do - 2inch body lift. I believe there are a few kits that offer 1.25 inch pucks that will do the job fine.

You'll want to check the back spacing on your wheels. 3.75 to 4 inches of backspace is ideal. ( Less is better in this case) Not sure what gear ratio you have but, that may have some impact on performance if you're using this as a daily driver.

So a 1.25" body lift and a 2-3" suspension lift will do the job?

TJ-GTR 05-08-2013 02:29 PM

Yes, it should work out with the caveat on your rims measurements and tire width.

There are many who have successfully ran with wheel spacers to work out the back spacing issue and there are just as many who have had disastrous results with wheels spacers. I'm in the camp of wheel spacers as being dangerous and unreliable. I've seen my share of wheel spacer disasters. That being said, check all of those things in advance to save yourself a lot of headaches when it comes to your implementation.

SuicideSaints 05-08-2013 04:19 PM

+1 on try not to do more than 1-1.25 of body lift (just a good rule of thumb). 33s are attainable with 3 in total lift. Plus, going with 3in lift the need for a SYE is not as prominent. Watch the t-case and clearances to make sure you do not run into any drive-line vibes.

There are a bunch of threads of lift combos and information on the forums here, I even think there is a pic thread of what different combos of lifts and tires look like. Dig in!!!!!!

mountkenneth 05-08-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuicideSaints (Post 3734405)
+1 on try not to do more than 1-1.25 of body lift (just a good rule of thumb). 33s are attainable with 3 in total lift. Plus, going with 3in lift the need for a SYE is not as prominent. Watch the t-case and clearances to make sure you do not run into any drive-line vibes.

There are a bunch of threads of lift combos and information on the forums here, I even think there is a pic thread of what different combos of lifts and tires look like. Dig in!!!!!!

So does anybody have any suggestions on which body and suspension lifts from a certain brand that are good quality and relatively inexpensive? If you are running a good one that you like, please share!!

thgr8alex 05-08-2013 11:06 PM

Zone 4.25 combo sounds like its for you! I run the zone suspension and love it. The 4.25 combo kit is 3 inch suspension along with 1.25 body lift. And only costs about 500

Noish 05-09-2013 12:53 AM

I have the Zone combo 4.25" and like it. I'm thinking about removing the body lift though because I think my 33x12.50s would look better. It kind of looks like there's too much gap between the fenders and tires with the bodylift.

SuicideSaints 05-09-2013 09:24 AM

A lot of people have Zone, I personally do not have it but as much as people have it and review it with good comments I would imagine it is what you are looking for. It all comes down to personal preference, you will get mixed reviews in the extreme for both sides. If you just wheel casually you will be fine.

mountkenneth 05-09-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noish (Post 3736274)
I have the Zone combo 4.25" and like it. I'm thinking about removing the body lift though because I think my 33x12.50s would look better. It kind of looks like there's too much gap between the fenders and tires with the bodylift.

That is exactly what I was looking for!! Thank you so much. Hopefully I will be ordering it soon. I can't wait!!!

mountkenneth 05-09-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuicideSaints (Post 3736924)
A lot of people have Zone, I personally do not have it but as much as people have it and review it with good comments I would imagine it is what you are looking for. It all comes down to personal preference, you will get mixed reviews in the extreme for both sides. If you just wheel casually you will be fine.

I'll be sure to do my homework, but as of right now, the price is right, the product is right, and the reviews are right. I think this is the kit for me.

Another question, will I need any other accessories such as steering stabilizer, etc. there are suggested things on the site, and I was wondering if I should look into getting those too. Also, is the Nitro injected upgrade ($35) worth it?

mountkenneth 05-10-2013 05:23 PM

Bump

Another question, will I need any other accessories such as steering stabilizer, etc. there are suggested things on the site, and I was wondering if I should look into getting those too. Also, is the Nitro injected upgrade ($35) worth it?

Wattapunk 05-10-2013 05:44 PM

OP, keep in mind that going with 33's may require re-gearing depending on your current setup.(eng/trans/gears)

mountkenneth 05-11-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wattapunk (Post 3742467)
OP, keep in mind that going with 33's may require re-gearing depending on your current setup.(eng/trans/gears)

I have a Rubi, so if what I'm thinking is right, the rubi's upgraded gear ratio will allow 33"s. is that correct?

mountkenneth 05-12-2013 10:19 PM

Bump

SuicideSaints 05-12-2013 11:01 PM

Rubicons come with 4.10 from the factory. There are some people that regear to 4.56 others just stay the same and deal with it. It is all about what you are willing to drive with.

Noish 05-14-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountkenneth (Post 3738324)

I'll be sure to do my homework, but as of right now, the price is right, the product is right, and the reviews are right. I think this is the kit for me.

I upgraded the shocks but only because it was a free upgrade promo. I heard it wasn't worth it at the time and if I'd had to pay I would not have.
I didn't upgrade the steering stabilizer and the last year has been good. I've been wondering if one would improve the "feel" to closer to stock, but I don't know... I would definitely get an adjustable track bar though

thgr8alex 05-14-2013 07:14 PM

X2 on the adjustable track bar. Do it right the first time amd wont have to worry about it failing later on. JKS and Rubicon Express are both good ones

Noish 05-14-2013 07:21 PM

I have the Rubicon Express and it has plenty of room between it and my diff cover. Figured I'd point that out since so many people have been worried about them hitting

thgr8alex 05-14-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noish (Post 3756267)
I have the Rubicon Express and it has plenty of room between it and my diff cover. Figured I'd point that out since so many people have been worried about them hitting

X2 again lol, i have RE as well and its got plenty of room. No worries about it hitting diff

UnlimitedLJ04 05-14-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noish (Post 3756267)

Quote:

Originally Posted by thgr8alex (Post 3756384)
X2 again lol, i have RE as well and its got plenty of room. No worries about it hitting diff

so post full bump pictures to prove it. make sure to include bumpstop extension length, control arm lengths and compressed shock length.