Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   New system..yay! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/new-system-yay-241322.html)

Posts On Percocet 05-08-2013 02:03 PM

New system..yay!
 
So I just couldn't stand the garbage stock system that comes in our vehicle of choice. I know the manager at the local Stereo Shop so he told me he'd instal a 10 JL Audio, Box, Kenwood Excelon x500-1 amp, and all the wiring for $380.

I figured it'd be just ok becase with the top down and the doors off there wouldn't be much to hold the bass in. I was wrong, it sounds great with everything off and bumps pretty loud with everything on. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't rattle your teeth out of your head but it's good.

Plus the guy told me my amp could run another 10. But before I do I want to upgrade the sound bar so the bass doesn't drown out the rest of the sound.

I've started to do a little research but I can't seem to get a straight answer with the sound bar. Someone said they are 5 1/4, but you can stuff 6.5's in there. Is this true or are they one or the other?

Anyway...pics:
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps1b149f1b.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps90482937.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...psb241bf9e.jpg

Posts On Percocet 05-08-2013 11:54 PM

Another question, what size are the tweeters in the dash? 3/4 or 1 inch? Thanks

Farnham21 05-09-2013 12:35 AM

They're 6.5 the kicker kick10s 6.5 are direct replacement plug and play so install is a breeze and they soon good from I've heard

PhotoWrangler 05-09-2013 12:38 AM

Let me know how long that sub lasts back there without someone slashing the rear window.

Thats the only reason I haven't added a sub yet.

ccoston 05-09-2013 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoWrangler (Post 3736256)
Let me know how long that sub lasts back there without someone slashing the rear window.

Thats the only reason I haven't added a sub yet.

I'll have to post a pic when I'm done with my sub box. It's holding a shallow mount sub downfiring so you don't see it at all. The whole thing looks like a very shallow OEM shelf in the trunk area, will be carpeted with the same looking carpet as the trunk area. Total height is 6" tall and it bolts in to the floor in 4 locations without any drilling into the Jeep .2 to the tie downs held in by the star head bolts, 2 towards the rear using L-brackets mounted into the grooves under the little flip up tabs in the carpet. The L-brackets slide into the grooves very snugly and then are pulled upward a bit and locked into place by screws into the box. All bolted areas are only accessible by removing cover panels that are held in by star-bit screws of a different size than the main bolts, and all brackets that screw into the box have reinforced metal surface on the MDF to spread the load if someone pulls up hard. Hopefully these steps will minimize the possibility of theft, especially given that it doesn't look like a sub box to begin with.

panthermark 05-09-2013 06:59 AM

Your soundbar and front pods are 6.5"

ahsumtoy 05-09-2013 09:03 AM

Correct
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 3736598)
Your soundbar and front pods are 6.5"

Both the sound bar and the front speakers take 6.5 speakers. However, some 6.5 speakers may not fit the front pods, you may need to go to a 5 1/4". I know, because I have replaced all of my speakers and some 6.5's would not fit the front pods, others did. Also, I didn't want to take up space in the back so I used an 8" JL for the sub and it went in perfectly where the other sub was. I used the tweeters from my Hybrid front pod speakers that I put into the dash area and used them where the tweeters go. They come off the Hybrid's and fit perfectly in the tweeter area. I also used a Kenwood 5 Channel Amp and put it under the drivers seat.

GlobalResponder 05-09-2013 10:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I have (2) 10" JL's in a shallow sub box, a $800 Alpine all weather 100W RMS x4 Amp and a $300 high end Electronic Crossover with $400 worth of upgraded Alpine Speakers and don't even bother to have my top up!
It's all about how you conceal it. When people walk up to my Wrangler, they don't see any fancy head unit with a big 7" display or some fancy Pioneer DVD Screen or anything like that. All they see is a stock radio and a ipad connector sticking out of my dash. I fabricated an aluminum rail to mount my ipad to or if I'm not needing my ipad for Navi or something I have my iphone handy. My sub box is covered with a false floor, so you just basically see a shallow cubby space and my Amp is hidden.
Show it off, you'll lose it. Conceal it in plain site, most "would be" thieves will walk on by!

GlobalResponder 05-09-2013 10:13 AM

Oh....one other thing....
 
1 Attachment(s)
You couldn't get back in there to get the sub box out anyways...it's surrounded by 350 lbs of wheel and gas! LOL...

JEEPbug 05-09-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlobalResponder (Post 3737108)
You couldn't get back in there to get the sub box out anyways...it's surrounded by 350 lbs of wheel and gas! LOL...

What size wheels an tires if I may ask?

CoreyZ 05-09-2013 11:17 AM

What stereo did you have before?
Curious if you had the premium as it requires the amp for its sound settings..

Posts On Percocet 05-09-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoWrangler (Post 3736256)
Let me know how long that sub lasts back there without someone slashing the rear window.

Thats the only reason I haven't added a sub yet.


LOL, that's why I didn't want to spend a ton of money on the set up.

The box and speaker are under $100 to replace. But this weekend I'm going to be lag bolting it down so it won't be going anywhere. Also, I leave the window a tad unzippered so hopefully the would be thieves see it and just unzip it. Then I have to hope they don't trash the sub and top when they figure out then can't move the box.

Posts On Percocet 05-09-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farnham21 (Post 3736252)
They're 6.5 the kicker kick10s 6.5 are direct replacement plug and play so install is a breeze and they soon good from I've heard


Thanks, I'll check these out. So no one knows what size the tweeters are in the dash up front? 1 inch? 3/4? 1/2?

Posts On Percocet 05-11-2013 08:05 AM

Instead of making a new thread, this will just be my audio build thread.

Update: I just bought these for the soundbar. I read that these might not fit in the dash so I'm holding off for now.

Polk Audio DXi650
Amazon.com: Polk Audio DXi650 High Performance 6.5 Inch Coaxial Speakers (Pair, Black): Automotive

I'm going to see If I can find a shallow version for the dash, and then I'm going to find an amp to run them. I can't wait to get these....

Dmactampa 05-11-2013 10:45 AM

The soundbar and dash pods up front are 6.5". most speakers will come with a universal bracket to make sure the replacements fit. I started with Polk DB6501 and DB651. The tweeters in the dash are 1" but you will almost ceertainly have to dremel out the housing to get anything in there.

My advice is to not waste too much money on the soundbar and put more into the front / dash speakers. I replaced everything and now have JL all the way around. I run the C3 in the dash and soundbar. They sound awesome!!! But as a front seat passenger or driver you aren't going to get the full impact of the higer quality as you would in a car because of they fire straight down.

Hope that helps out

Posts On Percocet 05-11-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmactampa (Post 3744368)
The soundbar and dash pods up front are 6.5". most speakers will come with a universal bracket to make sure the replacements fit. I started with Polk DB6501 and DB651. The tweeters in the dash are 1" but you will almost ceertainly have to dremel out the housing to get anything in there.

My advice is to not waste too much money on the soundbar and put more into the front / dash speakers. I replaced everything and now have JL all the way around. I run the C3 in the dash and soundbar. They sound awesome!!! But as a front seat passenger or driver you aren't going to get the full impact of the higer quality as you would in a car because of they fire straight down.

Hope that helps out


The thing is that I'm 6'9" and sit so far back my head is right under the sound bar speaker so that's why I went with those first. I couldn't understand why my wife had such a different opinion on the sound until I put my head where her's was.

cartergray22 05-14-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Posts On Percocet (Post 3733955)
So I just couldn't stand the garbage stock system that comes in our vehicle of choice. I know the manager at the local Stereo Shop so he told me he'd instal a 10 JL Audio, Box, Kenwood Excelon x500-1 amp, and all the wiring for $380.

I figured it'd be just ok becase with the top down and the doors off there wouldn't be much to hold the bass in. I was wrong, it sounds great with everything off and bumps pretty loud with everything on. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't rattle your teeth out of your head but it's good.

Plus the guy told me my amp could run another 10. But before I do I want to upgrade the sound bar so the bass doesn't drown out the rest of the sound.

I've started to do a little research but I can't seem to get a straight answer with the sound bar. Someone said they are 5 1/4, but you can stuff 6.5's in there. Is this true or are they one or the other?

Anyway...pics:
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps1b149f1b.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps90482937.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...psb241bf9e.jpg

You have a sub in the jeep even when it is completly open with no doors or top?

10Anvil 05-14-2013 04:55 PM

Anyone make a HU lock system?

Posts On Percocet 05-14-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartergray22 (Post 3755469)
You have a sub in the jeep even when it is completly open with no doors or top?


Yup. The soft top covers it, I live in the sticks pretty much, and I don't really leave it parked anywhere for hours on end.

Plus, it got bolted down.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 AM.