Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Trac Bar Bracket (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/trac-bar-bracket-241399.html)

rdock31 05-08-2013 06:34 PM

Trac Bar Bracket
 
Does anyone have problems with their rear trac bar relocation brackets? I was planning on installing it on my jeep since I already had it. Would welding it in place make it stronger?

doclouie 05-08-2013 07:28 PM

No problem with mine, which is a JKS one. It does bring it closer to the gas tank skid though.

UnlimitedLJ04 05-08-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdock31 (Post 3734886)
Does anyone have problems with their rear trac bar relocation brackets? I was planning on installing it on my jeep since I already had it. Would welding it in place make it stronger?

yes, people sometimes have problems with them. sometimes they cause you rip the stock mount off the axle. sometimes they come loose. they most the track bar back about 1/4" and up a few inches. This often causes clearance issues with the frame at the gas tank mount. the bracket can also hit & damage fuel & evap lines or the fuel pump wires, or the underside of the tub.

you can not only weld the relocation bracket to the stock bracket, which will prevent loosening, but you can also fabricate some reinforcement to tie the bracket into the axle tube to prevent ripping the stock bracket off the axle. you also should pull the springs & jounce bumper, then push the axle to full bump to determine correct bumpstop length and ensure there are no clearance issues. if you really want to be thorough, you cut the stock bracket off, and weld something better, stronger & open top in it's place.

rdock31 05-09-2013 07:35 PM

Thanks a ton, I appreciate it.

elclipo 05-10-2013 08:19 AM

Unlimited, I have read your threads on this topic here and at JF. If I understand you correctly, the bracket can be used so as long as I set everything else up (bumpstops, etc.) which should be done regardless. Welding it in place would make it stronger, bracing it to the axle would make it stronger still.

That said, if I wanted to create a new one, would mimicking the stock one (sans the top) with a stronger base and thinker sheet metal be enough? Or would I need to make it taller than stock like the bracket?

UnlimitedLJ04 05-10-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elclipo (Post 3740655)
Unlimited, I have read your threads on this topic here and at JF. If I understand you correctly, the bracket can be used so as long as I set everything else up (bumpstops, etc.) which should be done regardless. Welding it in place would make it stronger, bracing it to the axle would make it stronger still.

That said, if I wanted to create a new one, would mimicking the stock one (sans the top) with a stronger base and thinker sheet metal be enough? Or would I need to make it taller than stock like the bracket?

welding the bracket in place won't make it stronger, it will just prevent it from loosening. the relocation bracket is still mounted to a weak base (stock bracket), which can still rip off. however, welding some reinforcement to the axle tube strengthens the whole assembly.

bracket height is about correcting roll center (suspension geometry property). the amount of correction is a whole different discussion.
http://www.advancedsuspensiondesign....ension-101.php
Suspension Geometry - JeepForum.com

examples with reinforcement:
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...ICT00231-1.jpg
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...PICT0075-1.jpg

homemade replacement:
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...-/PICT0094.jpg

ripped off bracket:
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...s/trackbar.jpg

even more information here:
OME rear track bar bracket - JeepForum.com

elclipo 05-10-2013 09:38 AM

Thanks! That's the thread I was looking for and couldn't find. Amazingly enough I have an adjustable rear trackbar but of course it binds like this one:

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...s/PICT0049.jpg

SO it looks like I'll be making something similar to your example above. I found the step by step on the brace.

I do have another question though. I don't have a SYE yet but I know is in the future (second only to control arms since those are needed). Should I go for the bent bracket now or should I revisit this whole thing when I do get the SYE?

UnlimitedLJ04 05-10-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elclipo (Post 3740880)
Should I go for the bent bracket now or should I revisit this whole thing when I do get the SYE?

you'll have to cut everything you fabricate off, then build something new.

best case scenario is just cut both UCA mounts off, along with the track bar mount, and start over. most people don't want to get that involved, unless they're already doing an 8.8 swap or something.

if you've read my build thread, you'll see I've just band-aided the bracket and fabbed a track bar, to make it work. maybe someday i'll cut it all off and start over. IMHO, the frame side front mount and rear axle mount suck from the factory.

rdock31 05-10-2013 10:31 AM

But without off-road use, the stock bracket and relocation bracket should work fine? Not many places within 4-5 hours of me and it's my DD.

elclipo 05-10-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 3741028)
you'll have to cut everything you fabricate off, then build something new.

best case scenario is just cut both UCA mounts off, along with the track bar mount, and start over. most people don't want to get that involved, unless they're already doing an 8.8 swap or something.

if you've read my build thread, you'll see I've just band-aided the bracket and fabbed a track bar, to make it work. maybe someday i'll cut it all off and start over. IMHO, the frame side front mount and rear axle mount suck from the factory.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I have to correct things now but would hate to refab the bracket once I get the SYE. I won't do a full refab on the D35 though as my long term plan is a D44 with a 4 link system.

UnlimitedLJ04 05-10-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdock31 (Post 3741065)
But without off-road use, the stock bracket and relocation bracket should work fine? Not many places within 4-5 hours of me and it's my DD.

what's off-road use got to do with it?

rdock31 05-10-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 3741122)
what's off-road use got to do with it?

A few people told me it is the off road pounding with the bracket that causes it to rip off.. They may be wrong though.

After reading the thread about the brackets, I think I'm wanting to go with the actual brace setup. Though I when I search for them the brackets only come up.

UnlimitedLJ04 05-10-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdock31 (Post 3741141)
A few people told me it is the off road pounding with the bracket that causes it to rip off.. They may be wrong though.

After reading the thread about the brackets, I think I'm wanting to go with the actual brace setup. Though I when I search for them the brackets only come up.

depending what kind of off-roading is done, yes you can greatly increase the stress on the bracket.

that said, the track bar is needed on the street just as much as it is off the road. if you rip the track bar bracket off, you also rip the upper control arm mount off and the vehicle basically becomes undriveable.

rdock31 05-10-2013 11:27 AM

Right but everyday street driving will increase stress as well, which is why adding reinforcement is a good idea regardless of how you use it?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 AM.