Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Give up on straight 4 TJ? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/give-up-on-straight-4-tj-241420.html)

BubbaRichard 05-08-2013 08:18 PM

Give up on straight 4 TJ?

I bought this 2004 Wrangler Sport for 8000 with 36000 on the speedometer at the end of 2011. I've put over 30000 since and I love it. I need a new top, it's dry rotted. Someone broke into it by cutting the plastic passenger window but it just can't keep up with highway speeds. When I was in high school (living on the farm literally) we would have just put a straight 6 in it and been done with it. I found a straight 6 with under 40k in a salvage yard and started calling around to find a shop that would do it, none would!

I just need to not drive it in 4th all the time to get to 70mph. I can still get it to 85mph but it won't cut it around Houston and that would be 1 1/2 hrs to work and back.

Everyone says the cold air intake will not do any good. so I'm thinking about trading it and a 1997 bmw roadster I have in on a new jeep wrangler but they don't have a total soft model. After the 22,500 for the basic package I'll have to change out the radio for a usb aftermarket one (or buy the model with it for 3000 more) The doors are coming off.

A local shop suggested that they could rework work the engine (oversized cams etc) for about 2.5g-5gs and that seems like a lot.

How about some suggestions. :whistling:

Thanks,
Bubba

DANGItsVictor 05-08-2013 08:30 PM

I also have the 2.4l... Plenty of torque off road but good luck getting it up to highway speeds. I know your pain, I have been thinking about trading it in for a WHILE but I have put too much of my time and money in it now and I am really attached to it. I went to a local 4x4 off road shop and they quoted me at 5k to swap to a 4.0l. That includes a new motor as well.

I am now saving up for it. A LOT of people on here will tell you that its not worth the swap for only 40-50 hp gains but I have driven my buddys 4.0l and its a big difference.

BubbaRichard 05-08-2013 09:23 PM

Went o the best and oldest engine and transmission shops around this area and none were willing to consider it.

Sccafire 05-08-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaRichard (Post 3735313)
I bought this 2004 Wrangler Sport for 8000 with 36000 on the speedometer at the end of 2011. I've put over 30000 since and I love it. I need a new top, it's dry rotted. Someone broke into it by cutting the plastic passenger window but it just can't keep up with highway speeds. When I was in high school (living on the farm literally) we would have just put a straight 6 in it and been done with it. I found a straight 6 with under 40k in a salvage yard and started calling around to find a shop that would do it, none would!

I just need to not drive it in 4th all the time to get to 70mph. I can still get it to 85mph but it won't cut it around Houston and that would be 1 1/2 hrs to work and back.

Everyone says the cold air intake will not do any good. so I'm thinking about trading it and a 1997 bmw roadster I have in on a new jeep wrangler but they don't have a total soft model. After the 22,500 for the basic package I'll have to change out the radio for a usb aftermarket one (or buy the model with it for 3000 more) The doors are coming off.

A local shop suggested that they could rework work the engine (oversized cams etc) for about 2.5g-5gs and that seems like a lot.

How about some suggestions. :whistling:

Thanks,
Bubba

Should have the 4.0 in it. Check the VIN. Either somebody swaped the motor or you do not have the "Sport" trim package. Also do you have a lift or larger tires. If so, look into regearing.

BubbaRichard 05-19-2013 11:40 PM

The title, the feature list from jeep and the car fax reported it as a 4 cylinder jeep sport, trail rated.. There are no signs of a sloppy swap on the engine.

UFOtestpilot 05-20-2013 12:05 AM

As previously stated: Gearing, it's a bigger deal than power.

Keep in mind, I have the 4.0 and it was one of my criteria that was not up for compromise when I was shopping for a TJ. However, if you have the 2.5 and have issues driving it due to someone putting big-ass tires on it that it's not set up to run properly, gearing would be a step in the right direction mist likely.