Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Lift kit questions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/lift-kit-questions-241553.html)

Jaccub 05-09-2013 01:03 PM

Lift kit questions

So long story short right now I have a 2009 2 door Wrangler Rubicon and I know a little more than the average newb when it comes to cars and stuff. I put my 2.5" pro comp lift on my self in my garage and turned out fine. Just FYI. Because all I pretty much did for my 2.5" lift was put in new shocks, bump stops, new coil springs front and rear, rear track bar re-locator, and new front sway bar inlinks.

But I might be trading in my 2 door and getting a 4 door Rubicon and I want a bigger lift.

So my question is when lifting a 4 door jeep, lets say 4 inches or more, do you need to replace the control arms and drive shafts and all that stuff? If i get a 4" lift or even 3.5" lift will it be Ok with not replacing the control arms and stuff? and just doing what I did with my 2.5" lift.

Thanks for helping if you do!:Thanx::Thanx::Thanx:
:thumb:

Off Road King 05-09-2013 01:10 PM

after 3.5" you need drive shafts and adjustable links

XTRyan 05-09-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaccub (Post 3737663)
So long story short right now I have a 2009 2 door Wrangler Rubicon and I know a little more than the average newb when it comes to cars and stuff. I put my 2.5" pro comp lift on my self in my garage and turned out fine. Just FYI. Because all I pretty much did for my 2.5" lift was put in new shocks, bump stops, new coil springs front and rear, rear track bar re-locator, and new front sway bar inlinks.

But I might be trading in my 2 door and getting a 4 door Rubicon and I want a bigger lift.

So my question is when lifting a 4 door jeep, lets say 4 inches or more, do you need to replace the control arms and drive shafts and all that stuff? If i get a 4" lift or even 3.5" lift will it be Ok with not replacing the control arms and stuff? and just doing what I did with my 2.5" lift.

Thanks for helping if you do!:Thanx::Thanx::Thanx:
:thumb:

What size tire are you planning on running? To run a 35" you only need a 2.5" lift unless you're going to be doing some serious off roading. There are plenty of people using a 2.5" lift and 35" tires with no problems.

Now, to answer your question you'll need to get control arms all the way around front to get the Jeep lined up. At the least you'll need front lowers and rear uppers to adjust for aligning the Jeep. Other than that, you'll need at least a front drive shaft to avoid rubbing. Depending on the year of the Jeep, you may need to so some exhaust mods to clear the arms and drive shaft.

That's why I asked what size tire you're looking to run, and what you'll be using the Jeep for. Going above a 3" lift on a JK takes a good bit of work and can be pretty expensive. Welcome to the forum, and feel free to get in touch with me if you have any questions.

-Zach

MTH 05-09-2013 02:31 PM

The cost of lifting a jeep safely and reliably rises rapidly as you go past 2.5".

3" you can maybe get away with, but as you start closing in on 4"+, you've simply jammed up the geometry of many of the remaining stock parts too much for them to stay functional.

If you're cost-sensitive, I'd stick with 2.5". You'll fit 35s just fine, and you can be confident that additional components aren't required.