Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   cheap fix to gray plastic! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/cheap-fix-to-gray-plastic-241611.html)

clarksofky 05-09-2013 05:50 PM

cheap fix to gray plastic!
 
Had a friend show me this great stuff and thought I would share! Meguiar's Ultimate Black! Picked it up at Advanced Auto Parts for about 11.00. All you do is wipe it on! Easy and cheap! My fenders are dark black again!:dance:

Jaminjer 05-09-2013 05:56 PM

Before and after Pics?

clarksofky 05-09-2013 06:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Did not think about it at the time but I think you can se a difference in these!

Firehound12 05-09-2013 06:58 PM

Mothers Back 2 Black also works well.

cchartrand 05-09-2013 07:01 PM

Hope it works in the long run. I've tried all the easy fixes from A to Z, and they all wear off and run onto my tires. I've resigned myself to a weekend with a can or two of rustoleum bed liner, and several cans of beer! ;) keep us posted!

krisbman 05-09-2013 07:25 PM

Forget about painting them if you use that stuff

Robert C. 05-09-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cchartrand (Post 3738767)
Hope it works in the long run. I've tried all the easy fixes from A to Z, and they all wear off and run onto my tires. I've resigned myself to a weekend with a can or two of rustoleum bed liner, and several cans of beer! ;) keep us posted!

I am doing that now. I did the rear ones the other day with the bed liner, now to do the front

MosesTJ 05-09-2013 07:46 PM

The paint will last longer than the liquid wipes. I guess it depends how often you want to apply the liquids.

cchartrand 05-09-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisbman
Forget about painting them if you use that stuff

If prepped right, it's not an issue. Plenty of people have had great results. You could dump motor oil on your flares, and still properly prep them for paint.

cchartrand 05-09-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert C.

I am doing that now. I did the rear ones the other day with the bed liner, now to do the front

With the beer???.... It's a crucial step!! ;)

dredg009 05-09-2013 07:50 PM

Plastidip all the way. I got new flares on one side from insurance. The others I Plastidiped and they match almost perfectly. It did start to peel where I pulled the tape off too fast. I just peeled it off and did it again. Took like a total of 15 minutes and 2 coats.

krisbman 05-09-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cchartrand (Post 3738951)

If prepped right, it's not an issue. Plenty of people have had great results. You could dump motor oil on your flares, and still properly prep them for paint.

You can, im not gonna. Plastic is porous it will soak it up. Clean all you want. Denatured alcohol, wax & grease, solvent, lacquer thinner etc. i wont paint a set thats had that stuff put on it

dredg009 05-09-2013 07:54 PM

I did back to black for like 3 months and got tired of reaplying. I Plastidip over them with great results.

dredg009 05-09-2013 07:55 PM

I used a ill toluene. To prep

krisbman 05-09-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dredg009 (Post 3738991)
I did back to black for like 3 months and got tired of reaplying. I Plastidip over them with great results.

Plastidip isnt paint.

dredg009 05-09-2013 08:00 PM

Yeah it is except it's got a rubberized base to it.

cchartrand 05-09-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisbman

You can, im not gonna. Plastic is porous it will soak it up. Clean all you want. Denatured alcohol, wax & grease, solvent, lacquer thinner etc. i wont paint a set thats had that stuff put on it

Totally not trying to be a d**k, but how would you ever know that a PO had ever done that?

n00g7 05-09-2013 08:00 PM

Is your jeep still on 33's? I can't decide whether to go with 33's or 35's on a 4-4 1/2 inch lift.

krisbman 05-09-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cchartrand (Post 3739029)

Totally not trying to be a d**k, but how would you ever know that a PO had ever done that?

Done what?

TJspeed 05-09-2013 08:05 PM

A heat gun works to. I did this to my license plate holder today. It was showing signs of gray and thought I'd try it and was shocked to see it actually worked.

cchartrand 05-09-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisbman

Done what?

You said you would never paint over a set of flares that had that " stuff" put on them.

sinepome 05-09-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJspeed (Post 3739055)
A heat gun works to. I did this to my license plate holder today. It was showing signs of gray and thought I'd try it and was shocked to see it actually worked.

This is the best bet. No mess. No chipping. Did mine over a year ago and they still look good.

krisbman 05-09-2013 08:12 PM

Guess you wouldnt but i know the po of mine. You werent being a D, thats a legit question. Im just saying that if a customer came in and told me they had been putting this whale sperm on their flares and werent happy with it and wanted me to paint them id say sorry buy a new set or take it to joe blows down yonder.

cchartrand 05-09-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisbman
Guess you wouldnt but i know the po of mine. You werent being a D, thats a legit question. Im just saying that if a customer came in and told me they had been putting this whale sperm on their flares and werent happy with it and wanted me to paint them id say sorry buy a new set or take it to joe blows down yonder.

Thanks brother! As I said before, this isn't a pissing contest. I'm just saying I've seen some paint/ bed liner hold up really well with some nice prep work. It sounds like you do this for a living, and I'm sorry you took offense. I'm sure guys come in W/ crap dripping off of their plastic, looking for a nice paint job. Not fair to you. Happy wheeling man!

krisbman 05-09-2013 08:35 PM

No offense taken.

cchartrand 05-09-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisbman
No offense taken.

Want to paint my flares ???? ;)

AB824 05-09-2013 08:42 PM

Torched mine. Looks good as new.

cchartrand 05-09-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB824
Torched mine. Looks good as new.

Nice! Previous posters talked of heat guns. What did you use? A plumbers propane torch?

Robert C. 05-09-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cchartrand (Post 3738962)

With the beer???.... It's a crucial step!! ;)

Yes it is a must!!

sinepome 05-09-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cchartrand (Post 3739282)

Nice! Previous posters talked of heat guns. What did you use? A plumbers propane torch?

Electric heat gun( high power hair dryer pretty much) or a propane torch. Either would work. Just move fast and don't get them too hot in one place. Also remove the light covers on the front. The heat will destroy them.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 AM.