Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Took some pics need some opinions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/took-some-pics-need-some-opinions-241631.html)

ericg2000 05-09-2013 07:45 PM

Took some pics need some opinions

5 Attachment(s)
I'm in process of changing out a cracked valve cover and took some pics of the engine to see what the jeep pros think about it. It's a 1990 2.5l with about 116000 miles.

And the last pic is what I believe is a vacuum line. I was underneath and saw it unplugged so I plugged it back in. I have no idea how it got disconnected or for how long but what is its purpose? Thanks

0III0forlife 05-09-2013 08:37 PM

The engine looks fairly clean for having over 100K on the clock. You can clean it up even more with a couple cans of seafoam. Get rid of the carbon build up as well as the sludge deposits. put about a half a can in the oil a few days before the next oil change is due. And if you havent used it before. Go on youtube and search it. Video tells you how to clean the fuel side of the motor.

The vacuum line is part of the CAD/ 4WD system. The litle saucer looking thing that the lines plug into is a 1 way valve so that the system cant lose vacuum.

ericg2000 05-09-2013 09:38 PM

glad to know the engine is clean. i'm by no means a mechanic and have no other engine knowledge to compare it too.

i might try running some seafoam thru the oil. i put a can in the gas a few months ago, but didn't get all the smoke like the videos i saw on youtube.

jokerchief462 05-10-2013 12:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
These diagrams of the lines might help. As mentioned above looks clean enjoy it there is a lot of life in these engines.

ericg2000 05-10-2013 07:46 AM

Ill take a closer look at the diagrams later today, thanks.

I currently use casterol gtx mainly because that's what I've always used. Should I stick with it, or make a move over to a synthetic?

JD95YJ 05-10-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericg2000 (Post 3739242)
glad to know the engine is clean. i'm by no means a mechanic and have no other engine knowledge to compare it too.

i might try running some seafoam thru the oil. i put a can in the gas a few months ago, but didn't get all the smoke like the videos i saw on youtube.

It'll smoke when you run it through the vacuum line. Use the big one on the front of the brake booster. Go to seafoam's website for instructional videos.

Gothere 05-10-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericg2000 (Post 3739242)

I used seafoam to help pass emissions a couple of years ago, worked great, had to sit the jeep for a yr while deployed, anyway, you can put it in the gas tank or as it was recommended to me to drip the can into the throttle body intake while it was idling (adjust the idle so it won't kill), got a ton of smoke and it passed emissions fine.