Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Florida Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f71/)
-   -   Questions about Ocala NF (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f71/questions-about-ocala-nf-241677.html)

Eclem 05-09-2013 09:58 PM

Questions about Ocala NF

I'm thinking about heading out to Ocala NF for the first time tomorrow but I want to know how intense the trails are there. I've got a stock JK Unlimited that I just bought and am looking to finally get her off the pavement. I'm still waiting on my recovery straps to come in the mail but I can't wait any longer so what can you guys tell me about it? Are there plenty of trails that a stock Jeep will handle? How much does it cost to get in?

I tried looking up stuff on their website but didn't see a whole lot of information so anything you can tell me is appreciated! Thanks!

tabber02 05-10-2013 07:38 AM

there are trails all along state road 40 that don't cost a dime to be on. i've been in DC for a while so i have no idea how much rain they have had... so things could be wet and starting to get overgrown. i wouldn't recommend going out there alone -- or without at least letting someone know exactly what trails you're planning to run.

if you wanted something more controlled. the hardrock ORV is in ocala. it's 25 bucks to play - and if you get into trouble you can call the office and they'll come extract you..

your stock rig is capable of quite a bit... you'll be surprised. :whistling:

IrateDonnie 05-10-2013 09:56 AM

You should be ok if you watch out for the sugar sand & check any "puddles" for hidden ruts before you try & drive through. I sunk my old stock xj out by the bombing range in an innocent looking puddle that ended up being really deep tire ruts. It was a long walk in the rain because I didn't have anyone else with me :banghead:

damndirtydog 05-11-2013 03:29 PM

Never have gotten stuck out there. I'll wheel alone out there sometimes. Best place to enter is pipeline road about 3 miles west of the Juniper springs entrance off of SR40. There's a fire tower a few hundred yards before the entrance that says "Centenial ORV Trail". The entrance is on the same side as the fire tower. You can use your road GPS a lot of the larger trails are on there, so it's hard to get lost.
PM me if you ever want a partner, be happy to go if I can.

Eclem 05-13-2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damndirtydog (Post 3744911)
Never have gotten stuck out there. I'll wheel alone out there sometimes. Best place to enter is pipeline road about 3 miles west of the Juniper springs entrance off of SR40. There's a fire tower a few hundred yards before the entrance that says "Centenial ORV Trail". The entrance is on the same side as the fire tower. You can use your road GPS a lot of the larger trails are on there, so it's hard to get lost.
PM me if you ever want a partner, be happy to go if I can.

Thanks for the info guys! I appreciate it. I'll let you know when I decide to head up there but it will probably not be until mid June now since I've got a few vacations coming up. I'm always free on Fridays and Saturdays if those work for you. (Fridays are better though since the Mrs. is off then too)

Skennedy 05-13-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eclem (Post 3749991)
Thanks for the info guys! I appreciate it. I'll let you know when I decide to head up there but it will probably not be until mid June now since I've got a few vacations coming up. I'm always free on Fridays and Saturdays if those work for you. (Fridays are better though since the Mrs. is off then too)

I would also be up for a Friday run.