Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   LCIR (Los Coyotes) - True Story? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/lcir-los-coyotes-true-story-241682.html)

tom h 05-09-2013 10:20 PM

LCIR (Los Coyotes) - True Story?
 
I'm fairly new with my jeep. What's the story about offroading at the Los Coyotes Indian Reservation? It was called the "best place to offroad in San Diego" but it appears that sometime around 2007 all accounts vanished. Any bits of info would be helpful. I drove up there and the trails seemed incredibly cool, but the ranger on duty told me the extreme parts are closed off, but then he winked. Go figure.

Anyone have any recollections, thoughts, or recent trips to relate?

Black Magic Brakes 05-10-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom h (Post 3739694)
I'm fairly new with my jeep. What's the story about offroading at the Los Coyotes Indian Reservation? It was called the "best place to offroad in San Diego" but it appears that sometime around 2007 all accounts vanished. Any bits of info would be helpful. I drove up there and the trails seemed incredibly cool, but the ranger on duty told me the extreme parts are closed off, but then he winked. Go figure.

Anyone have any recollections, thoughts, or recent trips to relate?

It was a very popular spot until the Gaming Commission allowed the tribes to share the gaming profits with one another. Once that law was passed, it negated the need for additional funds the pay per day fees for use of the area generated.

There have been several attempts to re-open it to general use as it was before. My info may be outdated, but last I heard it wasn't going to happen and it was going to remain a hiking and equestrian area. (I don't even really know if that is still going on)

It was a very nice area to wheel in but if you don't like mesquite pinstripes, it is likely in your best interest to avoid the place because it will mess up your paint.

tom h 05-10-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes (Post 3740923)
It was a very popular spot until the Gaming Commission allowed the tribes to share the gaming profits with one another. Once that law was passed, it negated the need for additional funds the pay per day fees for use of the area generated.

There have been several attempts to re-open it to general use as it was before. My info may be outdated, but last I heard it wasn't going to happen and it was going to remain a hiking and equestrian area. (I don't even really know if that is still going on)

It was a very nice area to wheel in but if you don't like mesquite pinstripes, it is likely in your best interest to avoid the place because it will mess up your paint.

The best wheeling areas in the east, above the desert, are closed, but the wink from the ranger implied something else, like there's an easy way around. He said that jeeps are OK now.

Dangerous Road is open, but I creeped up it a bit and decided to wait until I went with someone in case a recovery was necessary.

Marshmellow Hill/Ridge Road is open.

Both roads to the top of Hot Springs Mountain are open.

Quiet Road and Left Turn Hill are open.

Appian Way is open.

Will probably go up there with a buddy and see what we can get away with.

Jerry Bransford 05-10-2013 01:01 PM

My ears perk up anytime LCIR comes up in a conversation. There have been some persistent rumors they were going to reopen a small percentage of the trails but the most fun trails like the Bobsled aren't likely. Like Blaine, I used to wheel LCIR regularly. In fact, that is where I first met Blaine & his wife Kat. I'll never forget Kat generously sharing slices of cold cantaloupe with us on a very hot day at LCIR.

From what I have heard, I'm not especially optimistic about ever wheeling at LCIR again.

tom h 05-20-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3741578)
My ears perk up anytime LCIR comes up in a conversation. There have been some persistent rumors they were going to reopen a small percentage of the trails but the most fun trails like the Bobsled aren't likely. Like Blaine, I used to wheel LCIR regularly. In fact, that is where I first met Blaine & his wife Kat. I'll never forget Kat generously sharing slices of cold cantaloupe with us on a very hot day at LCIR.

From what I have heard, I'm not especially optimistic about ever wheeling at LCIR again.

Anyone else have any memories about LCIR, and how it closed?

CharlesS 05-23-2013 12:17 AM

LCIR was my favorite place the wheel; knew almost all the trails by heart. Been going there since 1998.
The 2nd post explanation has almost all of the info on why LCIR closed. There were additional reasons....
Too many people were straying off the trail and several times vehicle owners went in burial areas and private property and the tribal elders weren't going to tolerate this anymore.
The access to LCIR closed around Sept 2004 and if you had the proper contacts; you could offroad by special invitation.
Then in 2010 there was a lease signed by a group for special training, but that was short lived.
I was invited to do trail cleanup several times in the Fall and Winter of 2010/2011; then the lease was revoked and access was closed again.
The trails were overgrown...
Dangerous Road wasn't very dangerous anymore.....
Appian Way is impassable due many many trees grown in the trail.

Black Magic Brakes 05-23-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesS (Post 3784331)
LCIR was my favorite place the wheel; knew almost all the trails by heart. Been going there since 1998.
The 2nd post explanation has almost all of the info on why LCIR closed. There were additional reasons....
Too many people were straying off the trail and several times vehicle owners went in burial areas and private property and the tribal elders weren't going to tolerate this anymore.
The access to LCIR closed around Sept 2004 and if you had the proper contacts; you could offroad by special invitation.
Then in 2010 there was a lease signed by a group for special training, but that was short lived.
I was invited to do trail cleanup several times in the Fall and Winter of 2010/2011; then the lease was revoked and access was closed again.
The trails were overgrown...
Dangerous Road wasn't very dangerous anymore.....
Appian Way is impassable due many many trees grown in the trail.


We never heard about the trespass into off limits Tribal areas and those that did that for us, are pretty stupid.

That said, I know of a group going down there this weekend that are not under special permit as far as I can tell. I'll post back when I know more.

tom h 05-24-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes (Post 3784999)
We never heard about the trespass into off limits Tribal areas and those that did that for us, are pretty stupid.

That said, I know of a group going down there this weekend that are not under special permit as far as I can tell. I'll post back when I know more.

Thanks, I'd like to know more myself.

TheDesertOutlaw 05-24-2013 11:02 PM

Before I bought the Jeep in 2003, I 'wheeled with a Ford Explorer group. I believe I read on the Explorer site about a VW Bug that caught fire along one of the trails, causing all sorts of damage ('01-'05 ring a bell, anyone?). I had a chance to 'wheel there in 2001 and I thought it was a great place to 'wheel that was close to home.

TheDesertOutlaw 05-27-2013 03:16 PM

Here is a great group to join: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/justruns/

This was posted this morning to the club site:
Yahoo! Groups

Saturday several representatives from San Diego 4 Wheelers, Tierra Del Sol
and JustRuns met with a representative from the Los Coyotes Tribe to discuss the
possible re-opening of the Reservation to 4 Wheeling in the future.

Jerry Bransford 05-27-2013 04:05 PM

Thanks TDO, I hope something positive came out of their meeting with the tribe.

I tried to find an update on line of the results of the meeting at LCIR but the only info I could find (with no meeting results) was from the JustRuns website.

This is from the JustRuns site...

"Saturday several representatives from San Diego 4 Wheelers, Tierra Del Sol
and JustRuns met with a representative from the Los Coyotes Tribe to discuss the
possible re-opening of the Reservation to 4 Wheeling in the future.

We also did a tour of several of the trails to see their condition and to clear
debris off of Bronco Hill. The trails we took included, Rough Road, Quiet Road,
Mountain Springs Road, Dangerous Road to 4 Corners, Lady Bug, to Bronco Hill,
Creek Rd. Hot Dog Hill, El Hill, Helo Pad, then out to Turning Rock then to
Pirates. Some took Toboggan. We returned to 4 Corners then through Choke
Cherry Valley and back to camp. On Friday, we did Marshmallow Hill up to Fire
Mountain.

All of these are presently CLOSED except the graded roads - Rough
Road, Mountain Springs Road to the old Lookout Tower and the Road through Choke
Cherry Valley and the graded road to the Helo Pad.

Those of you who are familiar with LCIR before its closure know what a great
place it is for 4 Wheeling. We hope the Tribe will decide to re-open it even if
it is on a limited basis.

PLEASE Let your friends know...
Los Coyotes Indian Reservation IS NOT OPEN to 4 Wheeling at the present time."

TheDesertOutlaw 05-27-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3797642)
Thanks TDO, I hope something positive came out of their meeting with the tribe.

I tried to find an update on line of the results of the meeting at LCIR but the only info I could find (with no meeting results) was from the JustRuns website.

This is from the JustRuns site...

"Saturday several representatives from San Diego 4 Wheelers, Tierra Del Sol
and JustRuns met with a representative from the Los Coyotes Tribe to discuss the
possible re-opening of the Reservation to 4 Wheeling in the future.

We also did a tour of several of the trails to see their condition and to clear
debris off of Bronco Hill. The trails we took included, Rough Road, Quiet Road,
Mountain Springs Road, Dangerous Road to 4 Corners, Lady Bug, to Bronco Hill,
Creek Rd. Hot Dog Hill, El Hill, Helo Pad, then out to Turning Rock then to
Pirates. Some took Toboggan. We returned to 4 Corners then through Choke
Cherry Valley and back to camp. On Friday, we did Marshmallow Hill up to Fire
Mountain.

All of these are presently CLOSED except the graded roads - Rough
Road, Mountain Springs Road to the old Lookout Tower and the Road through Choke
Cherry Valley and the graded road to the Helo Pad.

Those of you who are familiar with LCIR before its closure know what a great
place it is for 4 Wheeling. We hope the Tribe will decide to re-open it even if
it is on a limited basis.

PLEASE Let your friends know...
Los Coyotes Indian Reservation IS NOT OPEN to 4 Wheeling at the present time."

No problem, Jerry. I will post here when future updates are made available. So far, there is very little information, but I am sure if there is a query for work help, it will appear on the JustRuns site, and I will notify people here on this forum since trail work can be very tiring work - especially as we get closer to the summer months.

tom h 05-29-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3797642)
PLEASE Let your friends know...
Los Coyotes Indian Reservation IS NOT OPEN to 4 Wheeling at the present time."

Jerry, don't meant to be disagreeable but I went to LCIR one day last month, paid my $9, and spent the afternoon wheeling on many trails. The ranger there said it was fine as long as I stayed on the open roads, which included Hot Springs, Rough Road, Choke Cherry, and Marshmallow Hill. Sure, the good spots to the east are closed but for fellows out to just have a pleasant day in gorgeous country, or rookies, LCIR is open.

And now that summer is here, a drive to the top of Hot Springs Mountain, with its cool breezes, would be welcome indeed.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 AM.