Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Minor lift of 2013 JK Sport S (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/minor-lift-of-2013-jk-sport-s-241683.html)

etkal 05-09-2013 11:32 PM

Minor lift of 2013 JK Sport S
 
I want to bump my tires a little and lift the suspension a little to get a little more offroading capability (been pushing the limits of stockiness). I don't plan on mudding but love old rocky roads in the northeast. No serious rock crawling intended.

I have the stock 17" rims and want to keep them, so am considering WildPeak AT 285/70R17 (33") as a replacement tire, would increase from my current 255/75R17 (32"). I have the 6-spd and 3.73 axle.

Has anyone upgraded to that specific size tire? Did you also lift the suspension (not interested in a body lift just for the tires), and by how much and using what kit? I want to minimize cost so maybe just 1-2" suspension lift. What increase in clearance and capability would that give me?

traitor08 05-09-2013 11:36 PM

Have you thought about just some sway bar disco's and flat fenders?

etkal 05-10-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traitor08 (Post 3739755)
Have you thought about just some sway bar disco's and flat fenders?

No, I just want a little more clearance, not to handle too much more extremes. Some of the old dirt roads just have deep wheel ruts from rain so the center is sometimes 8" higher and I worry about getting grounded (though I'm having a winch put on Monday).

Barmanvarn 05-10-2013 09:53 AM

I started with an upgrade to 33s and a TF leveling kit ($150). Am very satisfied.

kjeeper10 05-10-2013 09:59 AM

Rancho 2" sport lift ?

Barmanvarn 05-10-2013 10:02 AM

Something to consider is that when going to a taller tire you can incur rubbing when turning if you don't increase the backspacing in your wheels.

When pricing 33s I was gonna trying to stay with my stock wheels but found the price for tires vs tires AND wheels was very close to the same.

Marc W 05-10-2013 10:39 AM

With no serious rock crawling intended, you do not need to lift to run 33" tires on the stock wheels. Some people have some minor rubbing issues with the wider tire (the 285/70 is 11.5" wide) rubbing on the sway bar in the front at full lock turn. It is very minor if at all on a new '13. I have 285/70 Nittos on the stock wheels and have plenty of room with no rubbing anywhere.
Consider that the stock tire that comes on the 17" wheel is 32". Increasing that to 33" only adds 1/2" to the diameter on each side of the wheel. That's not enough to cause clearance issues. The added width does bring the edge of the tire close to the sway bar in the front when turning all the way to full lock. Mine still clears by 3/4" at the closest but some with different tires have had a slight rub. That can be fixed by limiting how far the wheels turn to lock. These things turn tight enough for that to not be a factor and it's a lot cheaper than buying new wheels with a different back space or spacers.

Barmanvarn 05-10-2013 10:48 AM

I agree with Marc


The only reason I suggest a leveling kit is that its cheap, removes the factory rake, and give you a bit more room to flex when/if needed.

MacCTD 05-10-2013 10:58 AM

I did pretty much what you are looking to do and put the info here with some pictures, http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/mil...ld-162549.html

mike1158 05-10-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barmanvarn (Post 3740773)
Something to consider is that when going to a taller tire you can incur rubbing when turning if you don't increase the backspacing in your wheels.

When pricing 33s I was gonna trying to stay with my stock wheels but found the price for tires vs tires AND wheels was very close to the same.


just add some wheel spaces +/- $200 ....gets you plenty of clearence and alot chepaer then new wheels.

Barmanvarn 05-10-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1158 (Post 3740996)

just add some wheel spaces +/- $200 ....gets you plenty of clearence and alot chepaer then new wheels.

You raise a valid point. :)

Marc W 05-10-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barmanvarn (Post 3740922)
I agree with Marc


The only reason I suggest a leveling kit is that its cheap, removes the factory rake, and give you a bit more room to flex when/if needed.

Yes you're right. In fact I have added a 3/4" spring spacer to lift the front to a level position to get ride of the rake. I didn't mention it because I didn't have any clearance issues before I put that in there and doing that wouldn't address the sway bar rub at full lock if there was one anyway.

Wheel spacers will move the tire tread out from under the fenders and there are some issues with that. Necessary if you run big tires but why do it with 33s when you don't have to.

CF1973 05-10-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etkal (Post 3740731)
No, I just want a little more clearance, not to handle too much more extremes. Some of the old dirt roads just have deep wheel ruts from rain so the center is sometimes 8" higher and I worry about getting grounded (though I'm having a winch put on Monday).

Depending on the winch and bumper, your front end may sag. A 2" coil lift might be more appropriate as the new coils will handle the added weight better.

etkal 05-13-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CF1973 (Post 3741798)
Depending on the winch and bumper, your front end may sag. A 2" coil lift might be more appropriate as the new coils will handle the added weight better.

The shop owner doing the installation said the extra weight shouldn't be an issue in this regard (it's an M8000). Maybe next year after these tires get worn I'll do 33s and maybe a 2.5" or so suspension lift.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

MTH 05-13-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etkal (Post 3750580)

The shop owner doing the installation said the extra weight shouldn't be an issue in this regard (it's an M8000). Maybe next year after these tires get worn I'll do 33s and maybe a 2.5" or so suspension lift.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Of course it's an issue.

Add up the weight of your new bumper and winch, and then deduct 15 lbs or so to account for the stock bumper you'll be removing. That's what you're adding to the front end--I expect it'll be in excess of 100 lbs easy.

Have someone hang that amount off of your front end while you watch from the side, and see what happens. The stock coils were never meant for that.

IMO, if you're adding a winch and steel bumper, you've moved out of the "budget boost" world and into the coil spring lift world.

ilikeguns 05-13-2013 01:01 PM

37's and a 3.5" lift. :thumb: You don't know it yet, but you will eventually end up here

ohioviper 05-13-2013 01:15 PM

Sounds like a good candidate for a 2.5" TF spring lift and some Rancho 9000s and a set of 33x12.50x15 Duratracs on 15" rims.

etkal 05-13-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 3750615)
Of course it's an issue.

Add up the weight of your new bumper and winch, and then deduct 15 lbs or so to account for the stock bumper you'll be removing. That's what you're adding to the front end--I expect it'll be in excess of 100 lbs easy.

Have someone hang that amount off of your front end while you watch from the side, and see what happens. The stock coils were never meant for that.

IMO, if you're adding a winch and steel bumper, you've moved out of the "budget boost" world and into the coil spring lift world.

I mean it's not going to cause problems any more than having extra weight like another person in the vehicle. It won't interfere with wheel travel or anything.

And I'm not adding a new bumper, just keeping the stock one.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 PM.