Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Advice needed for my first firearm (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/advice-needed-for-my-first-firearm-241704.html)

Orange Krusher 05-09-2013 11:51 PM

I have shot my dads, husbands, sisters, brother in law, father in law, and my friends guns but............I am buying my own!!!!!!

We think we want for me.
-20 gauge
-short barrel 18.5"-20"
-short length of pull possibly adjustable
-semi auto

This would be for home defense and for fun.
I have super weak wrists and shoulders. I have wrist pain. I can barely shoot an air rifle with pain for 1-2 times only.

Undecided with pistol grip vs. traditional.

Here are some examples but if you can find anything else or have other suggestions PLEASE tell me. I am ready to buy!!!

http://www.mossberg.com/product/shot...tactical/75779

http://www.weatherby.com/product/sho...to_tr/sa459_tr

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...synthetic.aspx

THANKS!!!

whetstone 05-10-2013 12:13 AM

I was thinking youth model 11-87 before I noticed you had already linked to it. Go to a gun shop and handle one to see what you like. Quickly shoulder it and see if your eye naturally lines down the barrel. A shotgun that fits you properly is a thing of beauty...

Senior Chief 05-10-2013 07:14 AM

You can get tatical replacement stocks for all the popular 12 gauges (not sure about the 20s) that combine a pistol grip and an adjustable shoulder stock.

A semi auto (for home defense) is going to require you to keep a round chambered, whereas a pump gives you an additional level of safety, in that you have to "jack" a round.

Also, a lighter framed weapon may actually kick a bit more, given that the heavier one has a bit more mass to resist recoil.

To muddy the water even more, you can buy reduced-recoil rounds. Smaller, lighter shot will recoil less. These will be good for fun shooting, but you really don't care about a bit of bruising if you have to take out a bad guy with a slug.

Agree that you need to try a few on..

Happy shooting

bardb 05-10-2013 07:59 AM

Another vote for a pump gun (Rem 870) preferably in 12 ga.

Orange Krusher 05-10-2013 09:23 AM

I am definitely trying before I buy but the problem is I can't find exactly what I want to try in stock. I would have to buy from seller online and shipped to my local store without trying it. The problem I have had is the kickback lays me out since I am not a very big girl. With my shoulder issues, wrist fractures and wrist tears I can only shoot once or twice and than I have pain. I enjoy shooting but not the pain. I always use someone's gun so I am thinking if I get something lighter with little kickback it would be better. Plan on trap shooting etc. with everyone else. I have heard the semiauto loader has less kickback and so does the 20 but everyone I know has a 12 and pump.

krisbman 05-10-2013 09:30 AM

Remongton 870 pump. No on the pistol grip, especially with weak wrists.

Orange Krusher 05-10-2013 09:48 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I am curious why several have said pump vs. auto loader and 12 vs. 20?

krisbman 05-10-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange Krusher (Post 3740921)
Thanks for all the advice. I am curious why several have said pump vs. auto loader and 12 vs. 20?

Pumps are virtually fail safe. Autos can jam and can be finicky with ammo. Besides. Many a intruder will be persuaded with just the sound of you racking the pump. I prefer the 12 because ammo is cheap and you can find it anywhere. And it has more horsepower

JayDubya 05-10-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisbman (Post 3740978)

Pumps are virtually fail safe. Autos can jam and can be finicky with ammo. Besides. Many a intruder will be persuaded with just the sound of you racking the pump. I prefer the 12 because ammo is cheap and you can find it anywhere. And it has more horsepower

^^This, especially part about racking the pump.

Wranglin4Life 05-10-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bardb (Post 3740599)
Another vote for a pump gun (Rem 870) preferably in 12 ga.

This gets my vote too. 870 12ga is an awesome shotgun. I am looking for a tactical one myself.

Orange Krusher 05-10-2013 12:41 PM

The 870 sure does look sweet!!
I am still concerned that a pump and 12 will be too hard on my injuries. Pumps and 12s are what my friends have and they cause pain when I shoot them.
Is an auto and 20 going to be easier on my joints (never shot one)?

krisbman 05-10-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange Krusher (Post 3741509)
The 870 sure does look sweet!!
I am still concerned that a pump and 12 will be too hard on my injuries. Pumps and 12s are what my friends have and they cause pain when I shoot them.
Is an auto and 20 going to be easier on my joints (never shot one)?

I bought my son a pump 12 gauge when he was 11. Dont mess with a 20 unless your hunting birds. A limbsaver recoil pad will reduce the kick greatly.

krisbman 05-10-2013 12:54 PM

Just dont plan on shooting any high base or 3" magnum turkey loads and im sure you will find it manageable. Still for home protection i would use some 000 buck.

krisbman 05-10-2013 12:58 PM

Forgot, make sure to take the plug out with wich ever one you decide. It limits you to only 3 rounds. You can load 6 with it out just dont hunt with it. Bad nono

DFW6ER 05-10-2013 01:05 PM

You can get all sorts of modifications done to a shotgun to reduce recoil, including ported barrels, shock absorbers built into the stock, etc. A semi-auto will also have less recoil as part of the energy expended in firing a round is used to chamber the next round...but as said above, they're more intricate and more prone to failure than a pump or over/under. I have to agree again that just the sound of racking a round with a pump shotgun will make most intruders turn around and get the heck out of dodge....I actually have a friend who had a break in when her husband was out of town and did this very thing when the burglar was still in her garage...he was long gone by the time the police showed up.
Of course, I live in Texas....here if she had killed the guy the police wouldn't have pressed any charges as he was in her home after dark. Not sure what the Illinois laws are...you might want to familiarize yourself with them prior to getting a gun.

flashgordon 05-10-2013 01:05 PM

i think that a lot of these guys have given great advise for a typical buyer.. but i don't think it's the best advise for you specifically because of the issues you have mentioned.

i work at a firing range part time and teach some firearm classes for a little background on me.

i don't think i can say anything better than this article so i'll copy it here.

The Top 5 Softest Kicking Semi-Auto Shotguns | Field & Stream

Honorable Mention: Benelli M4 Not a sporting gun, Benelli’s gas operated combat shotgun is very soft kicking. I have only fired one once but when I did I emptied an extended magazine-full of high velocity buckshot and was surprised how little it kicked and how easy it was to keep on target.
5. Winchester Super X2: the whole Browning and Winchester Gold/Silver/Maxus/Super X2/Super X3 family are almost as soft-shooting as Remington 1100/11-87s. The X2 always felt the mildest to me because it weighed more than any of the others.
4. Beretta A400: With the optional Kick-Off recoil reduction system, the A400 (especially the heavier Extreme waterfowl gun) comes close to being the softest shooter. Without Kick-Off, no so much.

3. Remington 1100/11-87:
The 1100/11-87 series are heavy guns with a gas system that reduces recoil noticeably more than almost any other. The 1100 is the original soft-shooting gas gun. Almost 50 years after its introduction it’s still among the most pleasant of semiautos to shoot.
2. (tie) 10 Gauge Gas Guns: The Browning Gold 10 and Remington SP 10 weigh 10-11 recoil-soaking pounds, feature gas operation, and don’t hurt in the least to shoot. Pull the trigger, and you feel a gentle but powerful push, as if a giant has laid a finger on your shoulder while asking you to take a step backward. When my younger son was 12 I let him shoot a bunch of clays with an SP 10 and hunting loads. He giggled at the way the targets disintegrated but the gun didn’t hurt.
And the winner is:
1.Remington Versa Max: perhaps because it is a heavier (near eight pounds) gun, and because its gas ports are located in the chamber (the system is inspired by Benelli’s M4, see above) where they bleed off a lot of expanding gases quickly, and because it has a very thick recoil pad on the butt and in the comb, the Versa Max is the softest-shooting semiauto I have ever tried. It’s a homely gun, but its powers of felt recoil reduction are astonishing.

flashgordon 05-10-2013 01:11 PM

p.s. key things to keep in mind

A smaller gauge will kick less. A pistol grip will transfer some of the recoil from your shoulder to your wrist. Whether that is good or bad is up to you to decide.

krisbman 05-10-2013 01:21 PM

I suppose if the 12 is too much the 20 would be also. Theres always the ole 410!

Senior Chief 05-10-2013 02:46 PM

Can't agree more regarding Benelli's aotoloader. It's just a work of modern art.

RevCo666 05-10-2013 02:47 PM

If you can't buy one, build one... In no way I advocate building your own gun but I thought it was interesting reading:

AFP: Blueprints for 3D handgun take refuge in Pirate Bay

Orange Krusher 05-10-2013 03:12 PM

:doh:I finally got off my bum and went and looked at my hubby's gun that is way too powerful for me and it is an 870. I kinda thought the info seemed to familiar. :facepalm:

Doublebarr 05-10-2013 03:36 PM

Yes the 410 will have the least affect on you, but for shooting trap it stinks. Also, keep in mind that shooting trap is 100 rounds per event (adult), so there is no way you will not feel the affects from it. Our Benelli is our favorite trap gun, but it does have power that you will feel over 100 shots. However, if you want to just shoot a couple of clays and not a full round, then it is probably your best choice. Keep in mind that you will be paying for that quality, but it is WELL worth it in both mechanics and dependability (and their customer service ROCKS!).

BlueRidgeYJ 05-10-2013 03:45 PM

+1 on the 1187, but either way (semi or pump) go 20 ga. You must be COMFORTABLE firing a weapon, if you are at all timid about the pain it will cause you it IS NOT a practical HD weapon. If the HD is most important, go pump, as mentioned - but in a caliber you aren't bothered to shoot. If the fun/trap part is, go auto loading.

Worth mentioning that a heavy slide is almost as good a deterrent as a shotgun racking. In the middle of the night nobody hangs around for either.

The Ol Timers on the trap range use O/U 20s and 410s, never 12s. Just sayin... :whistling:

My shillings.

Doublebarr 05-10-2013 04:04 PM

You better be shooting TIGHT if you are shooting a 410 or 20. Just sayin.... Could be why they are the Ol Timers ;-)

Just bought a sweet Fausti O/U in 12 for comp shooting on the reccomendation of several of those Ol Timers who are shooting them at our comps.

Orange Krusher 05-10-2013 10:04 PM

Went to hold hubby's 870 and had lots of pain in left wrist (not trigger hand) just holding it for a few seconds. I have bilateral wrist fractures and ligament tears. Semi autos have less kickback than pumps from what I have read and so do 20s. I wanna have fun with it and not be in pain. I am leaning towards Remington 1187 youth or Mossberg SA 20 tactile. Mossberg a tad lighter than Remington and a bit shorter. I will mainly use for trap but will be my HD as a secondary. Hopefully, it will never have to be used for HD. If the zombies attack, I will have to upgrade to an AK 47 or AR 15 (which I have fired with no wrist problems). Any thoughts on these two firearms (Mossberg vs. Remington)? Benelli out of my price range. Good point about pistol grip so that is out.

krisbman 05-10-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange Krusher (Post 3743265)
Went to hold hubby's 870 and had lots of pain in left wrist (not trigger hand) just holding it for a few seconds. I have bilateral wrist fractures and ligament tears. Semi autos have less kickback than pumps from what I have read and so do 20s. I wanna have fun with it and not be in pain. I am leaning towards Remington 1187 youth or Mossberg SA 20 tactile. Mossberg a tad lighter than Remington and a bit shorter. I will mainly use for trap but will be my HD as a secondary. Hopefully, it will never have to be used for HD. If the zombies attack, I will have to upgrade to an AK 47 or AR 15 (which I have fired with no wrist problems). Any thoughts on these two firearms (Mossberg vs. Remington)? Benelli out of my price range. Good point about pistol grip so that is out.

Remington without a doubt. I have both remmy and mossberg. I have an 11-87 trap gun, 870 pump a mossberg 500 and a H&R turkey gun. Remingtons bottom end is far better than a top end mossberg in my book. Remember, lighter= more kick and less steady.

SeniorJeeper 05-11-2013 04:23 PM

Give the CZ shotguns a try. Great quality, lightweight and affordable.

Orange Krusher 05-17-2013 12:26 AM

Thanks for everyone's help and input. It really gave me some critical thinking points. I knew jeepers give good advice. I am going to buy a Remington 1187 youth. If you know anyone selling, give them my info. I live in Illinois and I have my FOID.

viperx6x9x 05-17-2013 01:00 AM

I would agree on that Benelli M4 as well for recoil reduction. However they are pretty pricey. Very nice guns though.

As far as bang for the buck, mossberg 500. That thing is hard to break. And they have almost as big of an aftermarket selection as a jeep. Exaggerating a bit, but you can get damn near anything for a mossberg. It's decent on the recoil too.

When you say it hurts to shoot the pump, do you mean actually firing it or it hurts when you pump it? If the issue is not with the pumping action then pumps are a much cheaper and generally more reliable option.

My personal gun is a Winchester 1200 skeet gun. I love it, but it seems to have a bit more kick than other shotty's I have used.

I have never shot a Rem 1187 so I can't offer any opinions on that one.

Whatever you get though, just make sure you keep it cleaned and lubed properly and you will have far less jams/breakages. A 12 guage, especially pump, is a simple machine. Maintain it well and it will always be there for you when you need it.

kisportolt 05-17-2013 08:06 AM

first shotgun=870 always.

I would look at finding an 870 in 20 ga. with a youth stock. easier for you to handle, and with a recoil pad shouldn't be too rough on our shoulder. do not get a pistol grip! no point, and puts more strain on you.