Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Cam bolts needed for 3in zone lift? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/cam-bolts-needed-for-3in-zone-lift-241706.html)

tweeds2 05-10-2013 12:15 AM

Cam bolts needed for 3in zone lift?
 
Are cam bolts needed with the zone 4.25 combo lift? Mine currently doesn't have any

thgr8alex 05-10-2013 07:20 AM

It helps. I have the zone 3 inch with 2 inch body lift and dont have the front cam bolts. My alignment is not perfect but the guy said its close enough to where it wont affect my tire wear but suggested i get adjustable control arms to make it perfect.

Jerry Bransford 05-10-2013 10:13 AM

No. A suspension lift naturally very slightly decreases the front axle's caster angle which is exactly what you want to have happen with larger diameter tires. The factory 7 degree caster angle is only correct for factory size tires.

Of course that also depends on the length of control arms but if they are aftermarket fixed length, they are normally designed to be the right length to provide the correct caster angle. If the control arms are adjustable length, that is how the caster angle would be adjusted, not via aftermarket cam bolts.

375Ranger 05-24-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3741009)
No. A suspension lift naturally very slightly decreases the front axle's caster angle which is exactly what you want to have happen with larger diameter tires. The factory 7 degree caster angle is only correct for factory size tires.

Of course that also depends on the length of control arms but if they are aftermarket fixed length, they are normally designed to be the right length to provide the correct caster angle. If the control arms are adjustable length, that is how the caster angle would be adjusted, not via aftermarket cam bolts.

So I have a 3" lift, just got aftermarket fixed control arms (16 1/4"), and have the cam bolts on my 98. Do I keep the existing position of the bolts, or need to move them? I don't quite know much about these. Thanks

Jerry Bransford 05-24-2013 12:39 PM

Are you asking about the front factory installed cam bolts or rear aftermarket cam bolts?

375Ranger 05-24-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3789239)
Are you asking about the front factory installed cam bolts or rear aftermarket cam bolts?

It was the front factory bolts.

Jerry Bransford 05-24-2013 06:12 PM

The front cam bolts provide adjustment for the axle's caster angle. Most fixed length control arm lengths are set to provide the proper caster angle so I really doubt you need to adjust them at all.

375Ranger 05-25-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3790215)
The front cam bolts provide adjustment for the axle's caster angle. Most fixed length control arm lengths are set to provide the proper caster angle so I really doubt you need to adjust them at all.

Thanks Jerry, as usual, you are a wealth of information. I installed all 4 arms today, with minor issues, but turned out well. I drove on/off pavement and did'nt notice any wandering or pulling. So far so good. Next are the 3" springs.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 AM.