Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Proper way to use a torque wrench (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/proper-way-to-use-a-torque-wrench-241740.html)

wrangler0 05-10-2013 10:21 AM

Hello....

I'm in the process of putting a lift on my 2010 Sahara.
2.5" teraflex with rs9000 shocks.

Should I hand tighten all bolts then torque when the jeep is on the ground? Or use my electric impact wrench to tighten everything then torque when on the ground?

Thanks for the help/advice!!

HOOCBB 05-10-2013 10:29 AM

Snug them up with a ratchet, then torque when on the ground. I would hesitate to use an electric impact to tighten as it may over-torque the bolts.

wrangler0 05-10-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOOCBB
Snug them up with a ratchet, then torque when on the ground. I would hesitate to use an electric impact to tighten as it may over-torque the bolts.

Ok thanks!

sevenservices 05-10-2013 10:46 AM

leave them spinning loose until the weight is on it. Once on the ground, lock 'em down. If you tighten them while up in the air, the ride will be worse than a really pissed off bull.

wrangler0 05-10-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenservices
leave them spinning loose until the weight is on it. Once on the ground, lock 'em down. If you tighten them while up in the air, the ride will be worse than a really pissed off bull.

Yea I definitely know about locking em down once on the ground. Just wasn't sure how loose to leave the bolts while off the ground.
Thanks!!

XTRyan 05-10-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrangler0 (Post 3740930)
Yea I definitely know about locking em down once on the ground. Just wasn't sure how loose to leave the bolts while off the ground.
Thanks!!

Leave them decently loose, you want everything to be able to shift and settle as the weight is applied. Then once it's on the ground torque everything down to the manufacturers specs.

Then, after 500 miles, you'll want to check everything to make sure it's tight. If you have any questions, please let me know!

-Zach

wrangler0 05-10-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XTZach (Post 3741675)
Leave them decently loose, you want everything to be able to shift and settle as the weight is applied. Then once it's on the ground torque everything down to the manufacturers specs.

Then, after 500 miles, you'll want to check everything to make sure it's tight. If you have any questions, please let me know!

-Zach

Thanks! :thumb:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.