Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   How safe is it you park topless? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/how-safe-is-it-you-park-topless-241760.html)

TylerU 05-10-2013 12:11 PM

How safe is it you park topless?

Enjoy topless in summer, but annoyed by constant concern that one day I may lose my stereo...

Tjdude08 05-10-2013 12:13 PM

I also worry when i park topless but I don't take anything or leave anything in my jeep that I don't want to lose. I just lock my stereo and Sirius in my glove box. That's all I have really. If I do have something I can't take or hide I park in front of cameras or where I think is safe.

Lanco 05-10-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tjdude08 (Post 3741194)
I also worry when i park topless but I don't take anything or leave anything in my jeep that I don't want to lose. I just lock my stereo and Sirius in my glove box. That's all I have really. If I do have something I can't take or hide I park in front of cameras or where I think is safe.

that.

And get a metal instatrunk and bolt it in.

KaiserJeep 05-10-2013 12:17 PM

The truth of the matter is thyat a soft top offers no security. First off, anybody who has ever owned a TJ knows how to unzip a window from outside and unlock the car. Those that do not know how to do that just use a pocket knife or a piece of broken glass from the gutter, slash the top, unlock the Jeep, and take what they want. Then you need a stereo and a top.

As silly as it seems, never lock the Jeep doors with the soft top on it. They will still take the stuff inside, but you won't have to replace or repair the top.

TylerU 05-10-2013 12:17 PM

i mean even with soft top, I heard the case that sonuvabitch slashed around the window just to get that $20 of boo..

Scout0718 05-10-2013 12:24 PM

This is something I always worry about too and never leave anything valuable in it. I do leave the face of the CD player locked in the console. I think I worry more about someone stealing the whole Jeep :eek:

Barmanvarn 05-10-2013 12:32 PM

I was/am the same way. I've got a bazillion tuffy enclosures now. That helps a lot.

And I finally installed an alarm. Won't deter everyone but helps and makes me feel better.

n00g7 05-10-2013 12:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
It is what it is. I don't run an enclosed top... ever... so usually people assume nothing is in there.

TylerU 05-10-2013 12:35 PM

lol.. just put a sticker says,

" it's just an empty jeep, now move on to your BMWs"

TylerU 05-10-2013 12:40 PM

i was just thinking.. If I park it topless on a sunny day abd then went into the mall for 1 hour or 2 and then it starts to rain like crazy. Does the interior just got screwed?

n00g7 05-10-2013 12:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerU (Post 3741265)
lol.. just put a sticker says,

" it's just an empty jeep, now move on to your BMWs"

Haha, it's not a Chrysler dude... BMW glass is super thick.

how not to break bmw's window - YouTube

Wranglin4Life 05-10-2013 01:36 PM

I dont worry anymore. If someone wants it they are gonna take it, top on or off. I just dont use expensive stuff. I think my head unit was $70. I do what I can to secure it but I would rather them not slice my top trying to get in and get my radio.

Teague242 05-10-2013 01:43 PM

Don't leave anything of value in there. Buy tuffy products. They are very hard to get into. Lock the face of your stereo in there for peace of mind.

Like everyone else said, if someone wants to get in the jeep they will. I think the ultimate deterrent is being able to see that there is nothing in the jeep. A few empty .45 casings will help too lol

dklassen 05-10-2013 02:00 PM

I never worry about it anymore. I don't leave anything in the Jeep but here in TN out in the country no one messes with anything. Too many guns walking around. Now back in So California where I used to live I wouldn't leave my guitar pick unattended.

Blastek 05-10-2013 02:13 PM

depends where you live too. mine is sitting topless and doorless outside of work. i have a prox. alarm so if anybody sticks an arm in it alerts me at my desk. gives me peace of mind, but by the time i'd get there, they'd be gone.

RevCo666 05-10-2013 02:18 PM

I've been preparing to go topless by the end of the month (its suppost to snow on Sunday here :( ) Anyhow, with all my emergency equipment sitting in a milk crate, I decided to try to find some sort of locking box in the back. Everything I seen was either too small, or plastic. Talked to my retired father who use to work in the mines and mentioned the issue to him, he goes into the garage and pulls out a nice wooden box with a lid, latch for lock and a lock with key... After cleaning it out, sprayed it down with rock guard to seal it for waterproofing, placed screws on the side to hold it down in the event of roll over. Fits everything nicely and gives me abit of piece of mind as well!

FlyRodGod 05-10-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaiserJeep (Post 3741206)
As silly as it seems, never lock the Jeep doors with the soft top on it. They will still take the stuff inside, but you won't have to replace or repair the top.

Yep. After I got my driver side window slashed for the second time, I no longer lock it. I'd rather drive around without music than get rained/snowed on.

sevenservices 05-10-2013 03:37 PM

2 things I do,

1. I don't lock my doors, even hard top & doors on. Because, I don't have a key lol. But, a lot of the time I'll keep 'em off when its nice out and just park in the garage over night. But, anywhere else I park it other than the garage I don't leave anything out. I use the rear locking boxes and the center console.

2. Whenever I park in a populated area, I take my coil wire with me. ;) Good luck getting 'er to start lol.

http://www.svnsvs.com/storage/jeep/boxes/cIMG_1378.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...s_U5xZvab9Hn7g

Kota7x 05-10-2013 04:51 PM

I still have my stock radio so I don't have that to worry about. I have had people going through my glovebox and center console. Never took anything but they are doing it. When I am at school I throw my manual and registration in my backpack so that they cant get any of that.

Beachcomber 05-10-2013 07:10 PM

I never lock my doors I would rather they look in and move on when they see I don't have anything worth steeling. In the summer I always go topless and have never had a problem but I guess it depends on where you live.

Raoul 05-10-2013 10:56 PM

I don't worry because I drive a raggedy old YJ.

Somebody broke into my apartment.
Didn't take none of my stuff.
They just left a twenty on the kitchen table with a note ...'man, you need this worse than I do'

SmugglersBlues 05-10-2013 11:10 PM

After ten years in LE I can tell you from experience that locks only keep honest people out. If someone wants to steal something out of your jeep they will do it. As someone said earlier try to park in front of a camera if possible and put in lock boxes. Most theives look for targets of opportunity and dont want to take a lot of time.

SquareLite 05-11-2013 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmugglersBlues (Post 3743283)
After ten years in LE I can tell you from experience that locks only keep honest people out. If someone wants to steal something out of your jeep they will do it. As someone said earlier try to park in front of a camera if possible and put in lock boxes. Most theives look for targets of opportunity and dont want to take a lot of time.

I am a LEO as well. I haven't had a top on my jeep in 5 years. I had a tow strap stolen last year. About 6 years ago I had the top on it an the dumb ass thief punched the soft window and opened my door to steal my radio. The door was unlocked to begin with. The thief took the radio but not the sleeve or harness. The radio was an eclipse which is useless without the correct cd to unlock it after a power disconnect. I had a 99% hunch of who did it based upon the music selection they left behind as well as their industry specific tools. I took a walk and asked for it back and the guy foot bailed. Made me laugh pretty good. In the end it was annoying but not the end of the world.

Moral of the story is don't give anyone a reason to look. I rarely drive my jeep but I make sure I take the garage door opener, radio face plate, etc... With me.

boomer_95 05-11-2013 12:03 PM

im sure i wont have any issues being that i live in a small town, but thanks for the tips. quick question, does a 2003 tj come stock with an alarm system? not sure if mine does, or is supposed to (i think i read they do somewere)

lindel 05-11-2013 02:58 PM

I don't have any qualms about parking at work with the top off. I work at O'Hare.

When I have the top off, nothing is left out in the open for them to steal, it either goes with me, or is locked up in the console.

CarolinaCajun 05-11-2013 04:19 PM

I have been too nervous to leave my top off while I'm at work, too. I work nights in a downtown area of a decent sized city with decent sized crime. I don't leave anything in it, but I don't want to risk having anyone mess with it in their attempt to take parts or steal the entire thing.

Fullback40 05-11-2013 09:05 PM

You could always put an alarm on it

TreeClimber1 05-11-2013 09:21 PM

How safe is parking a Jeep without a top?

You biggest worry, from experience, is

birds shitting all over your seats and steering wheels.

So, my simple advice is as follows: fold your seats forward so the poop hits the seat backs instead; keep valuables out of sight; and if you are worried about parking it in a bad neighborhood, then a short piece of chain thru the steering wheel and around the roll bars with a big padlock will deter most theifs, whom are opportunists.

RevCo666 05-11-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TreeClimber1 (Post 3745555)
How safe is parking a Jeep without a top?

You biggest worry, from experience, is

birds shitting all over your seats and steering wheels.

So, my simple advice is as follows: fold your seats forward so the poop hits the seat backs instead; keep valuables out of sight; and if you are worried about parking it in a bad neighborhood, then a short piece of chain thru the steering wheel and around the roll bars with a big padlock will deter most theifs, whom are opportunists.

LoL good advice, seats forward and the chain is priceless :)

SF rubi 05-11-2013 10:27 PM

Depends where you live. If you park topless overnight in San Francisco, I guarantee you'll return to a bum sleeping in your car.