Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Front shock removal help..... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/front-shock-removal-help-241837.html)

wrangler0 05-10-2013 07:08 PM

Front shock removal help.....
 
I posted this in the TJ section earlier by mistake while searching for some solutions.....I thought I'd post here as well.

I was moving right along earlier today in doing the front end portion of my lift and came to the shocks....the passenger side upper bolt moved a little bit then would not budge, the driver side, barely moved...and I tried realllllly hard. If I had more leverage, it's likely I'd have gotten the bolts out, but....no such luck.

I sprayed the crap out of the bolts with PB Blaster, that didn't help at all....yet. If that's to work, how long would the pb blaster need to settle in before the bolts come loose?

I want to just rip the shocks out so the bolt just snaps off, as I've read in other posts, but I don't have the clearance I need due to the brake lines getting in the way....

I might just buy a mapp gas cylinder and heat the bolt and hope that works!!

Unfortunately I won't be able to work on this again until Sunday....

Any other thoughts??

wrangler0 05-10-2013 07:17 PM

I also read that acetone mixed with ATF fluid makes for a good bolt loosening solution.

JKralph 05-10-2013 07:22 PM

you could slip the ring end of a wrench over the bolt and take an open ended wrench and put it around the stud at the top of the shock. there is a flat section on the stud that is on top of the shock, but below the rubber bushing.

I'm finding my words fail me...

I'll draw a picture

JKralph 05-10-2013 07:35 PM

ok, here we go. I apologize for the crude drawing, but this could help you get the leverage you need. I find it strange you're having so much trouble with this part in particular, the bolts on mine came off without too much trouble :confused:

wrangler0 05-10-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKralph
ok, here we go. I apologize for the crude drawing, but this could help you get the leverage you need. I find it strange you're having so much trouble with this part in particular, the bolts on mine came off without too much trouble :confused:

Thanks for taking the time to make that sketch. Based on what you drew that's exactly what I was doing only with a vice grip on the lower bolt.

The problem is rust. Lots of it. And PB blaster hasn't helped out so far.

JKralph 05-10-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrangler0 (Post 3742758)
I sprayed the crap out of the bolts with PB Blaster, that didn't help at all....yet. If that's to work, how long would the pb blaster need to settle in before the bolts come loose?

regarding this^

I spray the crap out of them and let them sit for a half hour to an hour. There are some people that will pb the bolts overnight (saturate the suckers) before going to town, just depends on how rusted in the bolts are.

wrangler0 05-10-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKralph

regarding this^

I spray the crap out of them and let them sit for a half hour to an hour. There are some people that will pb the bolts overnight (saturate the suckers) before going to town, just depends on how rusted in the bolts are.

I did that before I quit for the day but I won't work again til Sunday. We shall see what happens.

COLOUJK 05-10-2013 08:10 PM

For mine they were seized and I ended up just bending the shock back and forth until it broke. You cant resell them but I was not worried about that part of it.

wrangler0 05-10-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLOUJK (Post 3742963)
For mine they were seized and I ended up just bending the shock back and forth until it broke. You cant resell them but I was not worried about that part of it.

I wanted to do that but the brake lines get in the way.
How did you do it exactly?
Now that I think about it, if I raise the axle as far as I can, would that help to get the brake lines out of the way enough to bend them out?

I'm not concerned at all about selling them.....

COLOUJK 05-11-2013 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrangler0 (Post 3743020)
I wanted to do that but the brake lines get in the way.
How did you do it exactly?
Now that I think about it, if I raise the axle as far as I can, would that help to get the brake lines out of the way enough to bend them out?

I'm not concerned at all about selling them.....

I just compressed the shock to get them over the lines. Takes a little work but gets it done far faster than trying to get that damn bolt off.

wrangler0 05-11-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLOUJK

I just compressed the shock to get them over the lines. Takes a little work but gets it done far faster than trying to get that damn bolt off.

Of course......

Thanks! :)

wrangler0 05-12-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLOUJK (Post 3742963)
For mine they were seized and I ended up just bending the shock back and forth until it broke. You cant resell them but I was not worried about that part of it.

Bending the shock is not working for me so far......how long should it take before something breaks off?
I'm pulling it up as high as it can go until it hits the fender, then bringing it back down...as fast as I can.....but nothing so far.

COLOUJK 05-12-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrangler0 (Post 3747473)
Bending the shock is not working for me so far......how long should it take before something breaks off?
I'm pulling it up as high as it can go until it hits the fender, then bringing it back down...as fast as I can.....but nothing so far.

You need to get the material to fatigue. I had to rotate the bolt using an open ended wrench to get the bolt to bend the other way. Think of it like bending a paperclip until it breaks.

wrangler0 05-12-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLOUJK (Post 3748992)
You need to get the material to fatigue. I had to rotate the bolt using an open ended wrench to get the bolt to bend the other way. Think of it like bending a paperclip until it breaks.

I wound up going to Sears and buying a nut splitter, took a while, but I got the passenger shock off!!! Ran out of light to do the drivers side....

This is turning into the longest lift install ever!!!

:thumb:

kjeeper10 05-13-2013 05:38 AM

Don't feel bad. It happened to us as well. Driver side creaked until it snapped off. Passenger was frozen. PB blaster and tried fire without setting the jeep on fire :eek:

It was late and after a hour trying to remove the dang thing we got ahold of a saws-all. Still could not get the blade on top of the tower. We chopped the shock off below the tower and pulled the threaded area and nut trough the top.

Over 2 hours fighting with it :)

wrangler0 05-13-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3749868)
Don't feel bad. It happened to us as well. Driver side creaked until it snapped off. Passenger was frozen. PB blaster and tried fire without setting the jeep on fire :eek:

It was late and after a hour trying to remove the dang thing we got ahold of a saws-all. Still could not get the blade on top of the tower. We chopped the shock off below the tower and pulled the threaded area and nut trough the top.

Over 2 hours fighting with it :)

I wish it only took me 2 hours!! :)
I lost track of how long I was fighting with it before I got the nut splitter....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 PM.