Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Tire Shop Fool (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/tire-shop-fool-241841.html)

Off Pavement 05-10-2013 07:29 PM

Tire Shop Fool

Today I went tire shopping at one of the big tire dealers local shops. They were busy, I was lookin', so instead of wasting their time, I decided I'd come back another day. Well I guess somebody saw me walk out 'cause someone immediately came out asking if there was something I wanted.

To make a short story shorter, I mention what I'm looking for in a specific backspace wheel and get told "All aftermarket wheels are about the same, you don't need worry about it".

I said thanks for the info and drove off... I won't be going back.

SquareLite 05-11-2013 02:40 AM

I have found a few big chain guys in parts and tire shops that really know their stuff. The majority are people that just needed a job so that's why they are there. I generally already have a part number to make it a smoother process for everyone. I was looking for a dealership item only the other day and my local jeep parts guys didn't have the slightest clue what he was doing. He said well there is a triangle thingy by a plastic thing that looks like it. Ummm, let me get back to you as that sounds nothing like what I need.

SHADYDC 05-13-2013 11:17 AM

thats why i research, shop and buy online. no "expert" tards to deal with to screw up you parts

overblown 05-13-2013 11:20 AM

Exactly. I use shops as a means to an end as in just ordering stuff. I already know what I want when I walk in.

Lusus_Naturae 05-14-2013 02:25 AM

I feel for you. I bought wheels and tires in the middle to end of March, they had to be ordered in, so I waited. They got there and I finally got over the next week to have them installed about mid April, nobody checked the wheels that came in - they shipped over 6 lug! Shook my head, was told they would get the right wheels asap. Wheels came in, I finally get over there again to get them installed. This was now beginning of May. I always watch the install. I notice they laid out all 5 wheels, but one is polished on the inside, and the other 4 are painted. Really?! Not only that, but the polished one is used, and shows old weight marks and marks where a tire was mounted! They are already breaking down my tires so I go ahead and have them put the 4 right wheels/tires on. Then they come to put on the wheel caps, and they don't have the right ones! At the end of that day I look like a freaking idiot running a stock spare with 4 35's that have no center caps! Today I got the 5 correct center caps finally, but the 5th wheel is still not in. I guess looking like an idiot another week won't make much difference now.

I did get a good deal on everything, and the manager is another Jeeper and nice, but... groan...

The bad thing is I went to the local store instead of the sponsor store on this board because I was offered such a good deal - I'm wondering how much more of a migraine this will give me before it's over.