Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Locker question? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/locker-question-241863.html)

87_wrangler 05-10-2013 09:16 PM

Locker question?

Just found out the jeep I purchased yesterday has a locker in the rear end. This jeep is my daily driver, and I was wondering if it would hurt anything with it installed on a non lifted daily driver jeep?

jp2611 05-10-2013 09:25 PM

FWIW no it SHOULDN'T hurt, but it depends on the type of "locker"....if it is not a true "locker" but a spool yeah that would be an issue. If it has a "switch", or cable that engages it that would be different..so I guess I should say it depends

87_wrangler 05-10-2013 09:37 PM

The guy I got it from has no idea what it has in it. All he told me was that its got one. When I make sharp turns I can hear the tires even at low speeds. Just wasnt wanting to break anything. I'll look for switches. There's a toggle switch in the dash that I have no idea what it's to, maybe it could be to that

87_wrangler 05-11-2013 08:51 AM

There is no switch that I've noticed, I just don't want to damage my gears or anything because I mostly drive it in town on dry pavement. Every time I pull in some place it always chirps the tires. I'm sure that this will be a plus in the snow this winter and while I'm off road. I'd rather just remove it though if its going to do more damage than good

jp2611 05-11-2013 12:53 PM

FWIW again IDK that much about lockers other than eventually I want one in my TJ.....have heard of some lockers that display that "habit" and it is just part of the Jeep thing......have also heard of other ones where it should not do that.........Since you can not engage and disengage the locker "at will", I would have someone check it out...you MAY be able to post some pics on here of the inside of your rear axle and someone MIGHT be able to tell you what you got...from what you are saying my first guess would be a "lunch box locker".....but could easily be wrong.

87_wrangler 05-11-2013 02:10 PM

Alright, thanks for the info

JKralph 05-11-2013 02:22 PM

Next time you change your diff fluid, pop the cover off the differential and take a look in there. You could have one of the following:

A) a spool. Seems unlikely, but it could be there. The carrier will look kind of funky because there are no spider gears.

B) an auto locker. This seems most likely to me. This would be a whole carrier replacement that locks up under power. A detroit locker is an auto.

C) lunch box locker. It will have the standard carrier, but the spider gears inside have been replaced with a locking mechanism. Powertrax, lockrite, aussie, spartan; all lunchbox-style lockers.

D) a selectable. This doesn't seem too likely with the symptoms you described. With a selectable, there would be a switch or lever in the cab to activate the locker. Arb, ox, eaton; all selectables.

With an auto locker in the rear diff, you'll be ok on the street, though it may lock or unlock at weird times, might give you a jolt. Also, the tires will chirp as you described, resulting in accelerated tire wear.

RednekYJ 05-11-2013 03:24 PM

My Detroit is always kicking in and out. Best thing to do is coast around corners(neutral). You will have fun in the snow. Scary at times but fun.