Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Colorado Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/)
-   -   Flexing Out On Guanella Pass Today (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/flexing-out-on-guanella-pass-today-241873.html)

MajorChuck 05-10-2013 10:17 PM

Flexing Out On Guanella Pass Today

3 Attachment(s)
Took a last minute run up to Guanella Pass today and did some flexing without even leaving the pavement:

MajorChuck 05-10-2013 10:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
12 Miles up from 285 came across this abandoned Subaru that apparently ventured a little too far:

1quick1 05-10-2013 10:19 PM

Cool pics. How was the snow?

1quick1 05-10-2013 10:20 PM

I posted that before the 2nd pic. Obviously high.

MajorChuck 05-10-2013 10:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
We also hit Geneva Creek and almost made it to the end when a pretty wicked snow squall kicked up about the same time we got stuck pretty good. Warn saved the day, otherwise we'd have been spending the night. And the final pic shows what my dog thought of the whole experience.

Full Spool 05-10-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorChuck (Post 3743308)
Took a last minute run up to Guanella Pass today and did some flexing without even leaving the pavement:

Photography 101...... sun to your back :wavey:

Sinister6 05-10-2013 10:27 PM

Gotta love Colorado in January...oh wait, it's MAY?! :D What kind of snow totals in the area? Great pics!

MajorChuck 05-10-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1quick1 (Post 3743315)
Cool pics. How was the snow?

Thanks! It was strange, one minute you're driving on dirt (or pavement) and then a few hundred yards up the trail it would be barely passable, go a few more hundred yards and it was dirt (or pavement) again. I guess the areas that are getting a decent amount of sun are melting off pretty quickly.

All and all it was an awesome day, even including the hour spent winching trying to get turned around 180 degrees with trees on both sides of the trail and 3 feet of snow.

MajorChuck 05-10-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Spool (Post 3743344)
Photography 101...... sun to your back :wavey:

Yeah, sorry wasn't able to move the sun, nor the rock so that left me with one angle to shoot from. Not really trying to shoot for a coffee table book or anything. Thanks for the unsolicited criticism anyway!

Full Spool 05-10-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorChuck (Post 3743365)
Yeah, sorry wasn't able to move the sun, nor the rock so that left me with one angle to shoot from. Not really trying to shoot for a coffee table book or anything. Thanks for the unsolicited criticism anyway!

I'da found a different rock then :D

Is your dog sticking its tongue out?

MajorChuck 05-10-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinister6 (Post 3743352)
Gotta love Colorado in January...oh wait, it's MAY?! :D What kind of snow totals in the area? Great pics!

Yeah no kidding, when the squall started up it was pretty much whiteout conditions for about 45 minutes. I looked at my wife and asked if it was really May 10th.

The snow in most areas was just enough to make it really fun but at the top of Guanella Pass it was 4-5' and the gate was still closed about 500' from where the Subaru was stuck.

MajorChuck 05-10-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Spool (Post 3743378)
I'da found a different rock then :D

Is your dog sticking its tongue out?

Wasn't really a big selection of boulders sitting in the middle of a paved highway to choose from. Yeah, she's sticking her tongue out at me, she wasn't happy about spending an hour winching. ;)

vince.parker25 05-12-2013 09:41 AM

?? About those rims.

MajorChuck 05-13-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vince.parker25 (Post 3746966)
?? About those rims.

Sure, what's the question?

vince.parker25 05-13-2013 10:28 PM

What brand are they. I like them. They're almost like the stock wrangler ones with bead locks.

Oh and I don't know if you know anything. But are there ways to take our current ballistic rims and make them bead locks?

MajorChuck 05-15-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vince.parker25 (Post 3753062)
What brand are they. I like them. They're almost like the stock wrangler ones with bead locks.

Oh and I don't know if you know anything. But are there ways to take our current ballistic rims and make them bead locks?

They're Hutchinson beadlocks. Unfortunately this particular model was discontinued quite some time ago in favor of their new model, which is also pretty cool. When I picked up my Jeep in October of 2011 I couldn't find them anywhere but Brady over at High Country 4x4 in Denver was able to track down a set working with his contact at Hutchinson. I doubt there are any new ones still in existence however if you like the wheel I'd just do some on-line searches and see if anyone is selling a used set. You could probably get a pretty good deal.

I've always loved the stock Rubicon wheels but really wanted the functionality of beadlocks so when I saw these on a Jeep in parking lot I made note of the brand and took some pictures and began my search. As a bonus, they're DOT approved! May not seem like a big deal but find yourself in an accident where someone is injured and a savvy attorney has grounds to take everything you have on behalf of his injured client. Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure at that time it was the only DOT approved beadlock, I believe AEV was still waiting for approval around that time-frame. I could be wrong, but that's the way I remember it, others here are welcome to correct me if I'm talking out of my ass on that one.

As far as converting your current rims into beadlocks I'm sure it's possible in theory however it would be cost prohibitive unless of course you happen to be a billionaire with money to burn. ;)

vince.parker25 05-15-2013 11:46 AM

Haha. Don't we all wish we were billionaires so we could make our jeeps better. The mod list would just keep going.....

I went on their website and they are all specified By make but as we have done a scout D44 swap front and rear it doesn't match up. I think we will stick with what we have now. But I definitely like those wheels for maybe future bead locks if needed.

vince.parker25 05-15-2013 11:51 AM

Whichhhhhh. Brings me to my next question.

So I know that the scout axles we swapped into are 2.5" narrower than the stock Dana 30/35. So.. Would it be worth it to invest in 1.25" spacers?