Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Communications and Electronics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/)
-   -   Dash Camera, anyone tried this? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/dash-camera-anyone-tried-this-241893.html)

oneeyebear 05-11-2013 03:28 AM

Dash Camera, anyone tried this?
 
I am sure someone has done this... I want to mount a dash cam in my 2001 tj just to be able to make a compilation video after a good day on the trails. I have seen the go pro cameras but those are too expensive really. What I am looking for is something high quality, HD if possible. A good solid mount that can hold up to the rough trails. And can record a couple hours worth of video.

Does anyone know of a good camera/mount?

americonium 05-11-2013 07:47 AM

Yes. Unfortunately the recommendation i would make is the go pro. I have seen it in action, and it is awesome. I have some video from Rousch Creek last year. I'll see if i can find it.

Frenz 05-11-2013 07:48 AM

my new android (13 mega pixel Galaxy) and a suction cup mount is up to that challenge. Honestly the suction cup holds on.

TylerU 05-11-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyebear (Post 3743727)
I am sure someone has done this... I want to mount a dash cam in my 2001 tj just to be able to make a compilation video after a good day on the trails. I have seen the go pro cameras but those are too expensive really. What I am looking for is something high quality, HD if possible. A good solid mount that can hold up to the rough trails. And can record a couple hours worth of video.

Does anyone know of a good camera/mount?

I'm assuming you've seen the Go Pro Hero 3 which has a black front. yes that quite a bit $$$$. but insteaf I bought the hero 2, the old version on amazon, comes a lot of mounts and stickers and its about $199.. even a compact camera is gonna cost you about the same.

Sinister6 05-11-2013 06:47 PM

Look at Tachyon cameras. They are bomb proof, weather proof, water proof and take awesome videos. I've used mine during mountain bike races, wheeling, hunting and it's never let me down. And I've beat the hell out of it!!

wassup8687 05-11-2013 09:40 PM

Another GoPro fan here.

oneeyebear 05-12-2013 01:26 AM

haha very understandable from what I have heard... I like the idea of a cell phone mount. I may just have to end up going to go pro route when I can afford it. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Hardermods 05-12-2013 07:00 PM

While you're saving money for a Gopro, go to their website everyday and enter the Daily Drawing...... Odds are probably like 1 in 5 million but its worth it if you win and only takes a second of your time.

oneeyebear 05-12-2013 10:04 PM

ahhh so I just went ahead and got the GoPro Hero3 White Edition. picked up the gopro for $180 and a 32GB SD on sale for $19

TylerU 05-12-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyebear (Post 3749014)
ahhh so I just went ahead and got the GoPro Hero3 White Edition. picked up the gopro for $180 and a 32GB SD on sale for $19

get aftermarket batteries too. unless you only need it for less than 2 hours for the trail..

oneeyebear 05-12-2013 10:29 PM

ohh wow the battery only lasts 2 hours??! damn

TylerU 05-12-2013 11:46 PM

yes, and that's even when it's new. my stock battery now can only go for 1:40min... but aftermarket batteries are pretty cheap.. like 30 bucks you can get 3 piece and car charger everything... they ate just as good as the Gopro original ones..

GoldenSahara00 05-12-2013 11:58 PM

My Iphone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9p-Arqba-8

oneeyebear 05-13-2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerU (Post 3749373)
yes, and that's even when it's new. my stock battery now can only go for 1:40min... but aftermarket batteries are pretty cheap.. like 30 bucks you can get 3 piece and car charger everything... they ate just as good as the Gopro original ones..

I will look into it, bestbuy had gopro rechargeable batteries for 20$ or 30$ too, would it not be better to just get the GoPros?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 3749413)

Thats what I was thinking about doing but my best phone that is deactivated and I wouldn't mind getting messed up is an LG Optimus S =/



.....So now comes the question, where should I dash mount the go pro? It came with a curved adhesive mount that I would like to put on the dash somewhere. This will be until I invest in some other mounts.

TylerU 05-13-2013 01:27 AM

I only used those mount and staps on my bike's halmet, which i think it was designed for...

Get some duct tape, wrap it anywhere you want.. I mount it on my side view mirror...

Hardermods 05-13-2013 10:55 AM

I recommend the handlebar mount if you drive a TJ. It fits nice either from the rearview mirror post for a nice over the hood view. Or fits the side mirrors when your doors are on for a nice side shot

woansleftpeg 05-13-2013 11:18 AM

There are loads of cheap ones on Amazon at $20-30 plus the cost of a memory card. No idea how good they are, but for that price they seem like a good starting point.

oneeyebear 05-13-2013 01:58 PM

When recording a video in the jeep there is an annoying distorted audio sound constantly throughout the video. I have looked it up and it seems to be a very common issue. I am thinking about returning it and looking into other options.

Das_Jeep 05-18-2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerU (Post 3749058)
get aftermarket batteries too. unless you only need it for less than 2 hours for the trail..

Can the GoPro be ran off of a car charger instead of batteries?

oneeyebear 05-18-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Das_Jeep (Post 3768015)
Can the GoPro be ran off of a car charger instead of batteries?

I'm sure it can be run off a USB charger, just not with any of the Stock cases. Even with the provided skeleton case, you would not be able to plug in the usb.

Anyway, I ended up taking back my gopro Hero3 white edition. I bought the Sony HDR AS-15 and I am very happy with the deal. I made a comparison video of both of them and I urge anyone that is considering buying a gopro to watch this video before buying, especially if you are going to audio in your videos and/or you think you will be shooting video in some low light situations.

Obviously you need to view the video in 1080p and full screen for best quality :punk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhY9BImHC7M


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 AM.