Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Least expensive regear option. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/least-expensive-regear-option-241901.html)

GingerTJ 05-11-2013 08:27 AM

Least expensive regear option.

1 Attachment(s)
My 4cy is hard to push 5th.. Would this kit be least expensive if I did it myself?

Big Cole 05-11-2013 08:36 AM

Do you really want the cheapest gear sets available? You should look into purchasing the highest quality gears possible.

Atthehop 05-11-2013 08:38 AM

Are you experienced in differential overhauling?

s14sh3r 05-11-2013 09:11 AM

Drive with it in 4th when you need to. That's the way I do with mine, until I can afford to regear or do an axle swap.

PiePuncher 05-11-2013 09:14 AM

Dude, unless you are very experienced in gears, I would not attempt. I will mess with everything on my jeep except for what is inside the pumpkin. I would look on craigslist for a rear end and swap. You can take cover off to inspect before buying. I purchased my new rear for $300 and was an easy swap.
The way you are wanting to go about it will get very expensive, very fast. You will probably need new seals and if u do the work, you will probably end up hiring someone else to fix your mistakes, unless you are very experienced in working on differentials.
I feel 100% safe doing motor rebuild but differentials are a whole new ball game
By the way, what gears are you running and how many miles on your engine

Ohio79 05-11-2013 09:24 AM

I'd get what you can afford. If we had the money we'd all get the best possible parts/gear but since we are poor Jeepers we get what we can. I'd definitely have a shop do the work though. Expensive or cheap gears would be useless if ruined by a bad install. Good luck

apaTJ 05-11-2013 09:32 AM

He needs lower gears a new rear end is not gonna fix anything unless those gears are what he wants and if so you'll still have to change the front. And that's a lot more work than changing gears whether your DIY or having a shop do it.

TiltMaster 05-11-2013 10:25 AM

My friend is a expert mechanic and fearless when it comes to working on just about anything. Even he takes his diff work to a pro that specializes in them.

PiePuncher 05-11-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apaTJ (Post 3744049)
He needs lower gears a new rear end is not gonna fix anything unless those gears are what he wants and if so you'll still have to change the front. And that's a lot more work than changing gears whether your DIY or having a shop do it.

Swapping out rear ends is much easier and cheaper than a rebuild. A rebuild has to be done perfect and you will have to replace all seals and bearings. You can find matching front and back but it might take time

apaTJ 05-11-2013 11:13 AM

I still think you could pay a shop to install gears cheaper and much easier than swapping out both axles. Unless you can find 2 bolt in axles with the gear ratio you want( which will be rare because most tj axles are 3.07-4.10) for less than your gonna pay for a mechanic to install gears, I don't see how it will be easier. I would say to the OP those gears would be fine just decide whether your up for changing them yourself or not.

GingerTJ 05-11-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PiePuncher (Post 3744003)
Dude, unless you are very experienced in gears, I would not attempt. I will mess with everything on my jeep except for what is inside the pumpkin. I would look on craigslist for a rear end and swap. You can take cover off to inspect before buying. I purchased my new rear for $300 and was an easy swap.
The way you are wanting to go about it will get very expensive, very fast. You will probably need new seals and if u do the work, you will probably end up hiring someone else to fix your mistakes, unless you are very experienced in working on differentials.
I feel 100% safe doing motor rebuild but differentials are a whole new ball game
By the way, what gears are you running and how many miles on your engine

New trans, 130 on the engine and 4.11 gears

Water Dog 05-11-2013 11:31 AM

See this thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/bear...ad-241890.html

Atthehop 05-11-2013 11:36 AM

If I was going to have a shop swap out gears I would let them buy and sell me the gears, that way if something happens afterwards there is no finger pointing on who was at fault. If you buy cheap gears or even the best gears the shop will most likely say it was bad parts and since you supplied them they will not warranty it. I am sure the parts supplier will warranty them but not the labor.

But it's your money, just spend it wisely.

PStov98TJ 05-11-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atthehop (Post 3744348)
If I was going to have a shop swap out gears I would let them buy and sell me the gears, that way if something happens afterwards there is no finger pointing on who was at fault. If you buy cheap gears or even the best gears the shop will most likely say it was bad parts and since you supplied them they will not warranty it. I am sure the parts supplier will warranty them but not the labor.

But it's your money, just spend it wisely.

x2 on this one

tangofox007 05-11-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Water Dog (Post 3744335)

What is there to see?

s14sh3r 05-11-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tangofox007 (Post 3744651)
What is there to see?

I think his point is, if not done correctly, you'll be doing it again soon and there goes any savings.

Water Dog 05-11-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s14sh3r (Post 3744739)
I think his point is, if not done correctly, you'll be doing it again soon and there goes any savings.

Exactly...spend a dollar to save a dime.

PiePuncher 05-11-2013 03:23 PM

What size tires and lift? I have 4.11's and 31's on 2 1/2 lift, only time I have issues w 5th is uphill, I just drop to 4th and keep on cruising. Maybe someone w 4.88 will chime in and talk about their top speed and acceleration in fifth. I'm not sure if the cost will be worth the little gain you might get but I'm interested to hear someone's feedback
I dropped both axels today and put back on. Using Milwaukee impact wrench, it was a quick job, two hours in all. If u are not going to upgrade your 35, I still think a swap is easy and quick. Without the proper tools though, it could be a tough job. I think it would take a while without impact wrench and a friend.
I'm not big on outsourcing labor, u don't know exactly the quality of work you are going to get and you are out 120-160 an hour for labor. Doing it yourself, you also learn how to fix the issue in the future if u end up having problems again. Then again, if rebuilding your differential, u do what the other guys have stated and pay a professional. U don't want to make an error on that rebuild

PiePuncher 05-11-2013 04:34 PM

Did some reading and 4.88 looks good. Good luck w the gear swap.

GingerTJ 05-11-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PiePuncher (Post 3744815)
What size tires and lift? I have 4.11's and 31's on 2 1/2 lift, only time I have issues w 5th is uphill, I just drop to 4th and keep on cruising. Maybe someone w 4.88 will chime in and talk about their top speed and acceleration in fifth. I'm not sure if the cost will be worth the little gain you might get but I'm interested to hear someone's feedback
I dropped both axels today and put back on. Using Milwaukee impact wrench, it was a quick job, two hours in all. If u are not going to upgrade your 35, I still think a swap is easy and quick. Without the proper tools though, it could be a tough job. I think it would take a while without impact wrench and a friend.
I'm not big on outsourcing labor, u don't know exactly the quality of work you are going to get and you are out 120-160 an hour for labor. Doing it yourself, you also learn how to fix the issue in the future if u end up having problems again. Then again, if rebuilding your differential, u do what the other guys have stated and pay a professional. U don't want to make an error on that rebuild

4" lift 33" 12.5 15 tires

Jerry Bransford 05-11-2013 08:08 PM

For 33" tires, 2.5L engine, and 5-speed transmission, 4.88 is indeed the correct ratio. So far as installing the gears yourself, just be aware that there is a lot to getting them installed & set up correctly. Not even many experienced mechanics will tackle installing new R&P gears. I have a shop full of tools, air tools, welder, etc. and have been inside my axles many times but installing new ring & pinion gears is something I let the experts do which I've done twice now over the years.

GingerTJ 05-11-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3745361)
For 33" tires, 2.5L engine, and 5-speed transmission, 4.88 is indeed the correct ratio. So far as installing the gears yourself, just be aware that there is a lot to getting them installed & set up correctly. Not even many experienced mechanics will tackle installing new R&P gears. I have a shop full of tools, air tools, welder, etc. and have been inside my axles many times but installing new ring & pinion gears is something I let the experts do which I've done twice now over the years.

Is that the only thing I would need besides the Install?

iiTMRii 05-11-2013 09:22 PM

I have a 4 banger and 4.88's and it will get my 35's rolling but 5th has no pull up hill.

GingerTJ 05-11-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iiTMRii (Post 3745561)
I have a 4 banger and 4.88's and it will get my 35's rolling but 5th has no pull up hill.

Does 5th run highway good? I Max at 65 4th gear 4.10 gears

iiTMRii 05-11-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GingerTJ (Post 3745601)

Does 5th run highway good? I Max at 65 4th gear 4.10 gears

I can get 70 with no wind or a tail wind in 5th. But up hill it won't..

GingerTJ 05-11-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iiTMRii (Post 3745606)

I can get 70 with no wind or a tail wind in 5th. But up hill it won't..

I live in Illinois (flat) and I run 33"s

PiePuncher 05-11-2013 10:42 PM

Man, headed home from corpus Christi, I was able to hit 92 topped out on the toll road around Austin. Speed limit is 80. I have 31's and 4.11 but did a motor rebuild. I couldn't imagine topping out at 65, I drive 70 every day here on the highways with stereo blasting. There has been times going slight grade against the wind that I have had a hard time getting to 80. Doesn't take much grade to knock speed down but 65 is slow. I do not drive 80+... I have no reason to and the last time I did, I ended up in Williamson county jail because I had no identification. They kept me without bond until they could prove who I was. Sucked

iiTMRii 05-11-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GingerTJ (Post 3745751)

I live in Illinois (flat) and I run 33"s

4.88's should work fine for you.

freeskier 05-12-2013 12:10 AM

10 Attachment(s)
With 4.88 and 33s I can easily maintain 65-70 up just about any hill in 5th. The only place I have to drop it down is I-70 in the mountains. Particularly Floyd Hill...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GingerTJ (Post 3745533)
Is that the only thing I would need besides the Install?

Is what the only thing you need?

GingerTJ 05-12-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeskier (Post 3746169)
With 4.88 and 33s I can easily maintain 65-70 up just about any hill in 5th. The only place I have to drop it down is I-70 in the mountains. Particularly Floyd Hill...

Is what the only thing you need?

Is the only parts I need is the ring and pinion and seal kit? For both axles?