Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Heater/AC Control Head (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/heater-ac-control-head-241911.html)

fonecop1 05-11-2013 09:40 AM

Heater/AC Control Head

I believe mine is bad because the fan will run on all speeds even with the AC/Heat selector in the Off position and the AC compressor is cycling and blowing cold air with it in the off position. Orielly's said they can't get it that it's a dealer part. I looked on Rock Auto and they have an Airtex brand for $82, the dealer told me $136. So the question is should I go with the Rock Auto one, or is there a reason why I should stick with the dealer part on this one?
Thx,
Bob

debobrute 05-11-2013 09:55 AM

Did you check the selector knob on the right side and see if it is broken where it slides over the actual control. When I bought my jeep it was broke and doing the same thing.

debobrute 05-11-2013 10:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 247849

fonecop1 05-11-2013 10:28 AM

better check that, thx

fonecop1 05-11-2013 11:17 AM

It's not the knob. What's strange is even with the key off while checking the knob and changing positions I can hear the blend door changing when I switch positions.

RUBI 4 MY MRS 05-11-2013 03:37 PM

It sounds like you need a new mode switch. You don’t need to get the whole panel, the switch is sold separately. The dealer part may not be available but here is a link to one on Amazon. The mode switch is a 2 part switch. One part directs vacuum to work the actuator doors, the 2nd part is the electrical part that turns the A/C compressor & fan on & off. You apparently have a bad electrical part. Make sure the 3 wire connector on the back is not melted or the terminals are not discolored. If they get too melted the wires can touch each other & give the same problems you describe but that is extreme so more likely the switch is bad. Just be sure to check the wires before ordering the switch.

There is a vacuum reservoir to "store" vacuum so the actuators may move 1 or 2 times after the engine is off. That is normal.

Mode switch part # (?) 05183289AA w/A/C (may not still be available) (?)

Mode switchJeep Wrangler TJ 99-04 Heater/AC Vacuum Switch Mopar

Jeep Wrangler TJ 99-04 Heater/AC Vacuum Switch Mopar : Amazon.com : Automotive

fonecop1 05-11-2013 10:00 PM

That is great info, I'm gonna try to pull it out tomorrow to give it a visual inspection. If it looks good I'm gonna order that from Amazon. Thanks

fonecop1 05-18-2013 10:52 AM

Well it actually turned out to be the knob, when I was trying it I could tell it was switching between modes but because it was broke it was not clocked on the right mode. Once I pulled it off with pliers I could see it was broke, of course I didn't go get the pliers and pull it off before ordering the replacement switch. Now for the next thing, the fan only blows on high now, gonna open a new thread for that but wanted to mention it here. I think that may be the fan resistor but will see what others have to say. Thanks for the help guys