Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   CJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f298/)
-   -   Daily driver (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f298/daily-driver-241941.html)

SGT-XRAY 05-11-2013 11:36 AM

Daily driver

Been looking for a CJ as a daily driver. I love my wifes JKU but looking for something to bang up and her 2013 is not a good option. CJ 5 looking at this nice looking jeep as an option. I drive 20 miles a day and dont have to take the Interstate. Thoughts? Have heard the CJ5 is not a good option for daily travel.

Goofyjumper 05-11-2013 04:25 PM

I say go for it! You don't have much of a drive and your wife has a more dependable/larger vehicle if you need it.

gcaughron 05-11-2013 05:12 PM

I drove an '80 CJ-5 for years. It took me wherever I wanted to go whether on or off road. The only problem with a CJ-5 is that the door is s-shaped and you will find yourself in excruciating pain at least once from banging your tailbone on it especially if it is lifted. You will learn! I miss my old '5 but the TJ has a/c and a lot better road manners. Good luck and have fun with it. They are just plain fun and simple to work on.

faultymechanics 05-11-2013 08:58 PM

Aim for a CJ-7 they have a wider wheelbase than the CJ-5.....much safe. Also if you are taking it on the highway then I would recommend wider tires or wheel spacers. Just my opinion.

Mattador1516 05-13-2013 05:49 AM

5s are awesome. You dont see too many these days. Sure, the wheel base is narrow. Who cares! I love mine. Especially, with upgraded leafs and brakes.

Tahoe 05-22-2013 05:08 PM

After selling my '64 CJ-3B and then my '02 TJ I lasted aprox 2 months. I ended up with a pretty stock 1978 CJ-5, 6 cyl/3 spd.

This is my daily driver. Like you my wife has the new ride that we use for company and trips. The CJ rides just right and handles Houston streets well. I stay off the freeway unless I can not avoid it. Lil jeep will hit 60 - 65 easy, just make sure you scan ahead and plan your stops. If thats what you want do it !! I have no regrets and look forward to driving it every day. The S door opening is a tad tight if you have a belly, but heck a tilt wheel will take care of that.

Keep the suspension stock or close to it and the ride will be sweet.

lynn 05-23-2013 07:32 AM

A CJ5 is OK for a DD. Ride is choppy, but you'll get used to it, especially with the V8 and coolness factor. I ran many CJ5s in my time, last one was a '71 I ran for 16 years.
It was not a full-time DD, and after a few weeks of DD duty in the CJ, my truck felt like a Caddy by comparison ;)

I'd be concerned about the tranny, especially if it's an SR4, common light-duty tranny in '81s.
A T176 is better, but still only a medium duty trans and known for shift fork wear causing problems.
I think the price is high. Looks like a $4K-$4.5K Jeep to me, but ONLY if it's not rusted through anywhere, the wiring/engine swap were well done, and no drive train issues.

Tahoe 05-23-2013 11:16 PM

Lynn,

I have to agree about the ride, but for me I simply love it. Also mileage with the 258 is not the best but OH well !! I was able to find mine this past November for $4500. One minor rust bubble ( actually left over from floor pan replacement) on driver side.

The good barn finds like mine are still out there, I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Scott-CJ8 06-05-2013 03:22 PM

Having owned a CJ2A, CJ-5, 2 CJ-7's, a CJ-8, and now a Wrangler, (with a couple of Samurai's thrown in - but please don't hold that against me).... I would set my sites on a CJ-7. The CJ-5 is great as an off-road toy, but the ride and comfort is not there at all. If you're near or over 6' tall, you will be cramped for sure!

Brickonaskate 06-05-2013 08:28 PM

What's the update? I dd a cj7 with 2 inch lift 32s 258 and a manual 4 it gets like 18 mpg and drives great. Do it

von-klink 06-05-2013 11:13 PM

Cj-5 $2500

Drive it through Yellowstone Park on The way back.
Pictures I have. Big tires It has. 32/11.50/15" six (258)
T-18 four speed. White/ Black Best top W bikni top.
1980 it is. Interstate it will roll. 60-65 mph. Rear bumper
in process, as are Driveing lights. Carbed, P/S. Ready to cruise.

not perfect. but a good prospect.:thumb:

vb in ID.