Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Noice from speaker (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/noice-from-speaker-242001.html)

joeg679 05-11-2013 05:28 PM

Noice from speaker

When I am listening to talk radio or when there is a break in a song, there is a slight crackling or buzzing from the speaker on the dash on the left in the front. I'm not sure if that's a speaker or tweeter, but it's pretty annoying and it happens when the volume is past 14 or so. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a fix or do I need a replacement?

Z-TJ 05-11-2013 06:42 PM

Mine does it(rear driver side) when I listen to channel 91 on XM. No other time does it do it.

GoBig19 05-11-2013 06:58 PM

No ice from mine, too! ;-)

woansleftpeg 05-12-2013 06:22 PM

Removing the speaker is a moderately lengthy job. I'm a big believer in troubleshooting as much as possible, so the first thing I'd do is turn the fader full front and the balance full left so that only those two speakers are working, then take it for a drive with the volume quite high. Go somewhere a bit bumpy if possible. Listen and see if there are other problems with the sound that might be getting covered up by the other three i.e. sound dropping out intermittently or distorting.

My guess is that it would be a wiring issue.

joeg679 05-12-2013 06:26 PM

Thanks. If its a wiring issue, would the dealership fix that?

RevCo666 05-12-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeg679 (Post 3748162)

Don't void your warranty (assuming you have one) by removing panels, ect. Just take it to them, see what they say...

woansleftpeg 05-12-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeg679 (Post 3748162)

If it's under warranty, I imagine so.

woansleftpeg 05-12-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevCo666 (Post 3748180)
Don't void your warranty (assuming you have one) by removing panels, ect. Just take it to them, see what they say...

Removing panels voids your warranty?

RevCo666 05-12-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woansleftpeg (Post 3748204)
Removing panels voids your warranty?

I don't know but I imagine if you try to fix anything on your own, they may say too bad so sad... And point out the fine print on ya!

woansleftpeg 05-12-2013 07:00 PM

I've had most of my dashboard out several times and there are no "void if this seal is broken" stickers. It's incumbent upon them to prove that something you did caused the damage; simply removing the panels to find the cause of a problem shouldn't fall into that category, not that they'd even know that you have.

That having been said, I'd imagine it should be covered as long as you're still inside the 3 year / 60K limits. For a simple thing like this I'd find it more of a pain to take it to the dealer to try and fix than sorting it out myself, but YMMV.

RevCo666 05-12-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woansleftpeg (Post 3748280)
I've had most of my dashboard out several times and there are no "void if this seal is broken" stickers. It's incumbent upon them to prove that something you did caused the damage; simply removing the panels to find the cause of a problem shouldn't fall into that category, not that they'd even know that you have.

That having been said, I'd imagine it should be covered as long as you're still inside the 3 year / 60K limits. For a simple thing like this I'd find it more of a pain to take it to the dealer to try and fix than sorting it out myself, but YMMV.

Fair enuff, Just would hate to see a waranty voided on a fellow jeeper, thats all :)

woansleftpeg 05-12-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevCo666 (Post 3748289)
Fair enuff, Just would hate to see a waranty voided on a fellow jeeper, thats all :)

Agreed. I don't think they could void his warranty, though; the worst might be to say that they will no longer cover that particular speaker under warranty, and even that would be a stretch unless he takes his soldering iron to it.

RevCo666 05-12-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woansleftpeg (Post 3748294)
Agreed. I don't think they could void his warranty, though; the worst might be to say that they will no longer cover that particular speaker under warranty, and even that would be a stretch unless he takes his soldering iron to it.

I've always bought used vehicles in the past with very very very limited warranties (powertrain ect) so I apologize for my ignorance. Maybe someday I may buy new when I win the lottery ;)

woansleftpeg 05-12-2013 07:12 PM

No apologies necessary, it's a legitimate point and dealers can be a PITA about honouring warranties at times.

RevCo666 05-12-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woansleftpeg (Post 3748322)
No apologies necessary, it's a legitimate point and dealers can be a PITA about honouring warranties at times.

I didn't realize you were also a Canadian hehehe (as your avatar looked familiar to the Sens until I looked closer to your profile lol) Are they still in the finals?? I don't follow hockey religiously until its the end and a Canadian team is up there...

woansleftpeg 05-12-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevCo666 (Post 3748341)
I didn't realize you were also a Canadian hehehe (as your avatar looked familiar to the Sens until I looked closer to your profile lol) Are they still in the finals?? I don't follow hockey religiously until its the end and a Canadian team is up there...

Not only are we in the playoffs, but we were the first team to make it to the second round after blowing away the Habs and now we have Pittsburgh next (in fairness, I'm a little less confident about that match up).

joeg679 05-12-2013 07:55 PM

Thanks guys. It's only a month old, so it should be covered. I just hate bringing vehicles into the dealership because they can never duplicate the problem and I just wind up getting frustrated and fixing it myself.

jeep2007 05-12-2013 08:15 PM

I believe the noise is vibration and not the speaker.. Mine make a noise too passenger side rear speaker area . I put pressure on the plastic heading near the speaker area and the noise/vibration stops .. I just fade the sound to the front for now ..

joeg679 05-12-2013 09:06 PM

It's definitely not vibration, although I do have some kind of vibration near the shifter. The noise almost sounds like when a cell phone gets too close to speakers, it makes that weird noise. But, I know it's not the cell phone because it happened when the phone was nowhere near the Jeep.